Garmin Varia RTL510 Marketing gimmick or really works?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have been in small groups and never has been an issue. Yes, it does go off rarely but usually on a hill and when someone is attacking. That is when I put the hammer down. When we are bunched together, I do not think it's ever gone off. Mine is mounted on the seat rails and has an 1/8 turn mount [1/4 turn would not work due to space]. It's mounted as close to the saddle as possible.

No one can sneek up on me.
Last edited by Butcher on Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJS914

by AJS914

I've used my Varia in group rides and it has worked really well. Mine seems to mostly ignore other riders going the same speed and picks out the cars. My team mates like that my Varia light goes from solid to blinking when it detects a car. Essentially, they can benefit from it as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Riders in a group do reduce the radar's sensitivity greatly, as does rain water. This is something to keep in mind when you're riding in a group, especially in a tight formation.

ms6073

by ms6073

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:58 pm
Riders in a group do reduce the radar's sensitivity greatly, as does rain water.
In my expereince, it is not really a problem as it only occurs when riders are closing on your radar at faster speed(s) than your own.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

jacobeh

by jacobeh

Thanks for all your feedback - I'll monitor it some more to see if there are some special scenarios it happens in and contact Garmin if needed :thumbup:

motorthings

by motorthings

since the corki mount for the varia is out of stock on amazon (and there are a few negative reviews complaining of breakage), I picked up a similar mount on ebay for $18.
Got it yesterday and installed it, and seems like a worthy choice.
Search for "US For Garmin Varia Rearview Radar RTL510 Tail Light Mount Holder Saddle Bracket"

warthog101

by warthog101

Well the positive reviews here have helped influence me toward buying an RTL515.
Will pair it with my trusty old edge 1000 that is still going well. Thanks :)

disq

by disq

Anybody get stuck power button on RTL510? The one on mine got jammed once (with mud) had to leave it in water to dissolve/unclog, but now I find the button is hard to press sometimes, or sometimes it just won't depress so it's stuck in pressed mode for a while (Can't turn off for instance... once, to turn off I had to plug it in) but other times it's fine.

Any solutions for that? The opening between the button and the case is super thin so can't really insert something there to clean it.

HaroldC

by HaroldC

disq wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:50 pm
Anybody get stuck power button on RTL510? The one on mine got jammed once (with mud) had to leave it in water to dissolve/unclog, but now I find the button is hard to press sometimes, or sometimes it just won't depress so it's stuck in pressed mode for a while (Can't turn off for instance... once, to turn off I had to plug it in) but other times it's fine.

Any solutions for that? The opening between the button and the case is super thin so can't really insert something there to clean it.
My friend had the same issue. He contacted Garmin and they warrantied the radar and sent him a new RTL515.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

disq wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:50 pm

Same thing happened to mine, Garmin said it was a known issue on the 510, they warrantied it and sent me a 515. :thumbup:

disq

by disq

I just contacted them and they offered to swap for a new 510 (apparently it's still getting produced?), but as it's out of stock it won't happen soon... They're expecting new stock by the end of July :roll:

I've pressed and asked about getting a RTL515 as replacement instead, probably won't happen, just wanted to try my luck.

kevinw

by kevinw

My 510 power button is stuck.... but it's well out of warranty.

It still works for now.

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

When they first came out I thought it was ridiculous, especially since I live in a rural area with pretty low traffic. But I kept seeing people on chats saying that once they got one they absolutely refused to ride without one ever again. Eventually my curiousity got the best of me and I bought one. Literally didn't even make it a mile before I was completely sold. The road out of town has a crap shoulder, and medium traffic. When cars aren't coming I venture out into the lane, and then move onto the shoulder when cars are present. This meant non-stop rubber necking to check if a car was coming. Now I just ride out in the lane until I hear a beep and then head over to the shoulder. The unexpected advantage of the varia is how much better cars are behaving now that i have one. I'm not sure what exactly is going on, but I suspect they think they are being filmed because I have it set up to change the flashing pattern as cars approach. I'm also usually riding in the middle of the lane (smoother road surface) until I get the beep, and then move over to the right, so it could be that they trust me less and give me more room when they pass. Either way I dont' care, cars are giving me more space since I started using the varia. I can see it maybe not being as great if you live somewhere where you have to ride as far to the right as possible at all times due to heavy traffic, but for country roads it is easily the best cycling purchase I've made in decades.

disq

by disq

I was sold after pairing my Wahoo (which had gained ANT+ Radar support recently back then) to a friend's unit for just one ride. Grabbed one on black friday.

Now I have another friend who has paired his Wahoo to my Radar (sounds like an euphemism lol) and he's using it that way for the time being. Of course if we have some distance between us it makes things complicated for him, but still a heads up for fast approaching traffic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I too thought it was another stupid gimick and purchased one since it was cheap on Aliexpress. My friend paired it up on a ride with me, he bought one.

My first opinion is usually correct but this trinket has proven me wrong. Can't ride without it.