Garmin Varia RTL510 Marketing gimmick or really works?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

Do you guys think these units on aliexpress are fake?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000252728490.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fxx

by fxx

AJS914 wrote:Do you guys think these units on aliexpress are fake?

It is not Garmin brand but an equivalent China brand, if it works just as well, why not?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

3Pio

by 3Pio

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:30 am
Do you guys think these units on aliexpress are fake?

I just compared to mine, look exactly the same (at least based on pictures there)...

I would be suprise that original Garmin and those are made in same factory in China (even on mine there is Taiwan not China)

For that price maybe worth to try.. Of course before ordering i'll ask them clearly if this is completely working device and if there is working light + radar function (words "FOR GARMIN VARIA" make me wanting to ask this) or just maybe case for original Varia (i can see there is a lot of spare parts for Varia on AliExpress like battery+ case )

AJS914

by AJS914

fxx wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:50 am
It is not Garmin brand but an equivalent China brand, if it works just as well, why not?
Thanks for pointing that out. The last picture though clearly shows the rear of a real Varia (barcode, produce #, etc). FWIW, I've also seen $100 Varias on ebay (all from China).

Honestly I'm surprised that we haven't been seeing competing products on the market. Maybe Garmin has this locked down with a patent?

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I did purchase one of those Aliexpress versions. As far as I'm concerned, it's a Garmin. It even hooked up to Garmin Connect and registered properly. The only thing that is missing are the little stickers on the back of the unit. It even has the cast in Garmin on the plastic housing. It does not come with a mount so you need to purchase one of those. If you read the fine print, they say they are used. I highly doubt since it surely looks new. By selling them used, prevents Garmin from having a cow I suppose.

I needed to get a rear light so I do not think it's a total waste of money. Since I've been riding indoors lately, there is no reason for me to use it yet.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

First ride with the Varia last night, I am absolutely sold, def worth the money ($150 on sale). Performed flawlessly, not a single false positive. It's fantastic knowing when a car is coming, how many cars there are, exactly when they're going to pass me, and if they're coming fast or at a reasonable speed. I have to believe that the light is more visible as well, especially with the increased flashing as a vehicle approaches, every car that passed me last night gave me a lil more room than usual. I do most of my riding solo, and that is the safest I've felt riding by myself, especially now that it's colder and my ears are covered, I know a car is coming way before I can hear it.

AJS914

by AJS914

I just did my first ride with a Varia. I love it. It's relieved me from looking over my shoulder so frequently for cars.

This thing shines in not letting you get surprised by cars. I had a good example on this ride. I saw a car and knew it was coming up behind. The Varia was tracking it perfectly but as soon as he passed, I noticed the Varia tracking another car that I hadn't seen. Maybe he had just turned on to the road behind the other?

Another situation that comes up is that sometimes a car is riding your speed and not passing you. You can't figure out why and it makes you nervous. Usually they are turning into a driveway or something. Anyway, I had one of these today and instead of feeling like I had to look over my shoulder constantly I just let the Varia track it.

BTW, I also bought one of those "used" no-name Aliexpress/eBay units for $89. It came without packaging or instructions but was new and has all the usual Garmin logos and stickers. Maybe these guys in China steal them out of the Garmin factory or something? As previously mentioned, it didn't come with a mount or charging cable. The mount a Varia regularly comes with is a crappy rubber band mount and one would want to buy the upgraded seatpost mount anyway. I had a compatible usb cable already that had come with some wireless headphones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cycling-Rear-L ... 3689971151
Last edited by AJS914 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

I use a rear vision mirror on my helmet, and have done so for decades, even when racing at national championship level. It doesn't run out of battery and weighs 5.7g vs 71g for the Varia. Plus I can actually see how much space (or not) the overtaking vehicle is giving me without having to turn my head.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have a helmet mirror and a RTL510. They each serve different purpose and I wouldn't ride without both.

fxx

by fxx

AJS914 wrote:I just did my first ride with a Varia. I love it. It's relieved me from looking over my shoulder so frequently for cars.

This thing shines in not letting you get surprised by cars. I had a good example on this ride. I saw a car and knew it was coming up behind. The Varia was tracking it perfectly but as soon as he passed, I noticed the Varia tracking another car that I hadn't seen. Maybe he had just turned on to the road behind the other?

Another situation that comes up is that sometimes a car is riding your speed and not passing you. You can't figure out why and it makes you nervous. Usually they are turning into a driveway or something. Anyway, I had one of these today and instead of feeling like I had to look over my shoulder constantly I just let the Varia track it.

BTW, I also bought one of those "used" no-name Aliexpress/eBay units for $89. It came without packaging or instructions but was new and has all the usual Garmin logos and stickers. Maybe these guys in China steal them out of the Garmin factory or something? As previously mentioned, it didn't come with a mount or charging cable. The mount a Varia regularly comes with is a crappy rubber band mount and one would want to buy the upgraded seatpost mount anyway. I had a compatible usb cable already that had come with some wireless headphones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cycling-Rear-L ... 3689971151
Sounds like they fell off the back of the truck.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

NickJHP wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:40 am
I use a rear vision mirror on my helmet, and have done so for decades, even when racing at national championship level. It doesn't run out of battery and weighs 5.7g vs 71g for the Varia. Plus I can actually see how much space (or not) the overtaking vehicle is giving me without having to turn my head.
How well does the rear light work on your mirror? How often are you looking for a car that really was not there?

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

NickJHP wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:40 am
My car has three mirrors, lights and loads of sensors.

Oh, we weren't talking about that. My bad.

markdjr

by markdjr

If anyone happens to be handy with electronics and a 3d printer, I am interested in a radar unit sans light. I use the Cycliq Fly6ce rear light/camera and would like to add a radar with a smaller form factor since I don't need the light. If anyone has any ideas or resources let me know.

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm still surprised that Garmin is still the only game in town for bike radar. Maybe it's locked down with a patent?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tabl10s

by tabl10s

ms6073 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:38 pm
RTW wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:57 pm
asiantrick wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:06 pm
This one is a winner so far: Corki Varia Mount.
But it costs LOADS of money. I looked at doing this, but all in it was going to cost about $50 for a mount. :shock:
Where are you sourcing it from? After reading RTW's reply, I ordered the seat rail clamp and mount from Amazon one for US $24. Note that this price includes local retail sales tax as we have an Amazon warehouse not far away.
D'oh!

The warehouse is five miles away meaning I'm eating California tax all the time!
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)