Garmin Varia RTL510 Marketing gimmick or really works?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nickf

by nickf

Butcher wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 2:42 am
I guess the radar would be useless if there are no cars around. I'm not certain why you would purchase one for those conditions and then say it was useless.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I probably would find it annoying if I rode in the city and it was telling me there is a car behind me every second of my ride. Probably useless in those conditions too.
When I used the radar in Orlando there were so many cars it would just go off constantly, really annoying so I sold it.

But out where I'm at now there are cars every now and then but with wind noise I do not hear cars approaching. Also many of these roads have a 35mph speed limit, hard to hear approaching cars when they are traveling that slow. On today's ride the radar kicks before I even hear cars approaching. So far so good.

warthog101

by warthog101

Yeah rural roads here too. I pick routes with sealed shoulders and far call traffic.
The varia 515 is great for letting me know a car is coming.
Particularly when the road noise of one going the other way blocks sound or it is windy. I love that it lets me know how many are coming too.
Can't get my edge 1000 to make any noise I hear but not too concerned. I just glance at the screen when a car is coming the other way or before I am about to cross a lane (still look also).
Should've got one ages ago.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Definitely still look.🙂
Once it failed me.
It said there was nothing.
Yet there was a big semi-trailer! :shock:
I dunno maybe it had a radar jammer or something... :noidea:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

OJCycling1

by OJCycling1

Which one should I go for, the RTL515 or RTL516, I can see that the one in Danish webshops is the RTL516 version but I would think that the blinking version RTL515 is better for visibility?

warthog101

by warthog101

OJCycling1 wrote:Which one should I go for, the RTL515 or RTL516, I can see that the one in Danish webshops is the RTL516 version but I would think that the blinking version RTL515 is better for visibility?
There are two versions of the new Varia radar variety - RTL515 and RTL516.

And the difference is more or less the same as between RTL510 and RTL511. In the first one, the rear light has several modes of operation (mentioned and mentioned earlier), and additionally it can flash more intensively when the car is detected behind us - so that not only we had the right information, but also the driver had a better chance of noticing us.

RTL516 there is no such thing. In fact, there are no standard modes except standard mode with 20 lm power for 9 hours without charging. Why such a theoretically less functional variant? Because these are the StVZO standards, binding even in Germany.

https://www.xiaomist.com/2020/06/detail ... a.html?m=1

I hadn't heard of the 516 before. That is what google showed me.
No StVZO in Australia so I have the 515. Works well and I like the flash mode on the tail light.
If that quoted text is accurate the 516 doesn't have light mode options.

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

Maybe this will help answer some questions?

This is from: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05/gar ... eview.html

RVR315: Smaller Varia radar pod with ANT+ & Bluetooth, no taillight
RTL515: New 3rd gen Varia radar taillight with ANT+ & Bluetooth
RTL516: New 3rd gen Varia radar taillight with ANT+ & Bluetooth [STVZO compliant for German market]
RTL510: 2nd gen Varia radar taillight with ANT+
RTL511: 2nd gen Varia radar taillight with ANT+ [STVZO compliant for German market]
RTL500: 1st gen Varia radar with ANT+ (looks rectangular)
RTL501: 1st gen Varia radar with ANT+ (looks rectangular) [STVZO compliant for German market]
RSP: Rhubarb Strawberry Pie
RDU: Varia display unit, the small dedicated display for when folks didn’t have a compatible display device
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Mmmmmmm Rhubarb, strawberry pie.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

516 is germany only, different rules from the StVZO.

I have my RTL515 for about 3 months now and its the best thing ever. Much more calm on the country roads in The Netherlands. Great toy!

Cheers!

by Cheers!

I love the unit. But I locks up sometimes. It usually happens when a BMW or Mustang comes up with a loud exhaust. My suspicion is that they are running a radar jammer and that caused the unit to crash and lose connection to the edge 830 head unit.

req110

by req110

Are there any more users who had rtl510 and the button was getting stucked and hard to press, and got rtl515 as an replacement?

I have submitted my request with LBS, so i am waiting for results.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
SW Epic 8 Satin Carbon L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p SID Ultimate / in the making

ms6073

by ms6073

req110 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:11 pm
Are there any more users who had rtl510 and the button was getting stucked and hard to press, and got rtl515 as an replacement?
We had that issue with an RTL510 and so I replaced it with a 515, then gave the 510 to a friend who has had no issues with it since. :o
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The issue will return once the button is contaminated with sports drink or dirt. Garmin is aware of the issue and will warranty for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannoli

by Cannoli

req110 wrote:

Had the same issue with a 510 after some wet riding. I ended up putting in a warranty claim for a replacement.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

Cannoli

by Cannoli

req110 wrote:

Go to Garmin directly. Most LSB's don't get any compensation for warranty claims and are reluctant/slow to process them.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Both the 510 and 515 suffer the same issue. I had a 515 with the button issue and received a new 515 via warranty claim. I think water brings dirt into the button and once the water has dried the dirt can't get out. Sports drink spilled on the button can have a bad effect as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com