Garmin Varia RTL510 Marketing gimmick or really works?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tleo

by tleo

Jugi wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:17 pm
mike wrote:Just get a mirror for your glasses . Way better than some beeping device or GoPro for safety. You want to live and avoid an accident
Oh yes, shards of glass around my face and eyes are definetly welcomed as a safety addition.
Hmmm. They're made from mirrored acrylic. At least the ones I've used.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

refthimos

by refthimos

I picked up the RVR315 (the new version without the light), and it's a total keeper for me. I can see why the racer type (I resemble one myself) would think this is more of a commuter/tourist product, but I think it actually let's me ride faster. Knowing whether or not there are cars approaching from behind, I can use more of the road (i.e. "straightening out" twisty sections), especially climbing and descending. And the RVR315 version is pretty light at 51g. I have a Pro Stealth saddle and using the GoPro mount with a Garmin adaptor, the RV315 sits right behind my saddle. I daresay it's an almost sleek setup.

I'm even planning on using it on my TT bike, for the reasons noted above - knowing the road behind is clear allows you to straighten out curves in the road. I haven't had a false negative yet, so I feel confident using the full width of the road without breaking aero and turning my head back to check for cars approaching behind.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

Jugi

by Jugi

refthimos wrote: I'm even planning on using it on my TT bike, for the reasons noted above - knowing the road behind is clear allows you to straighten out curves in the road. I haven't had a false negative yet, so I feel confident using the full width of the road without breaking aero and turning my head back to check for cars approaching behind.
I've found it to be really useful on a TT bike. Roads around here tend to develop distinct tire grooves, which means the best part of the road can be near the shoulder or pretty much middle of the lane. When just casually road riding, the difference isn't so big it presents more than an advantage on comfort, but when on a TT effort where everything else is optimized for speed, I like to use the best part of the road as well. Varia gives me just enough time to move casually to the shoulder when someone comes up.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

mike wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:35 am
Just get a mirror for your glasses . Way better than some beeping device or GoPro for safety. You want to live and avoid an accident
Mirrors are only good if you are looking at them. I get that the Garmin may be annoying, but it will give you an audible warning when something is close where a mirror will not.

Originally I bought my TL510 because I needed a tail light, Ive glad I purchased the Garmin, exceeded my expectations since they orginally were very low.

ToileySiphon

by ToileySiphon

It looks like an amazing piece of equipment and would be great on the roads I take. That said, I'm worried about having a radar just under my crotch. I know a lot of traffic cops got testicular cancer because the had the bad habit of leaning the radar gun against their groin area in between car scans. I'm wondering if the varia could have the same ill effect.

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk

fxx

by fxx

ToileySiphon wrote:It looks like an amazing piece of equipment and would be great on the roads I take. That said, I'm worried about having a radar just under my crotch. I know a lot of traffic cops got testicular cancer because the had the bad habit of leaning the radar gun against their groin area in between car scans. I'm wondering if the varia could have the same ill effect.

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk
Try this instead. Image

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ms6073

by ms6073

ToileySiphon wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:05 pm
I know a lot of traffic cops got testicular cancer because the had the bad habit of leaning the radar gun against their groin area in between car scans. I'm wondering if the varia could have the same ill effect.
The Varia at very low power and uses completely different frequency from police speed radar. I suspect you will suffer more ill effects from using a microwave everyday versus the the time the varia is operating.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

MikeD

by MikeD

Butcher wrote:
mike wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:35 am
Just get a mirror for your glasses . Way better than some beeping device or GoPro for safety. You want to live and avoid an accident
Mirrors are only good if you are looking at them. I get that the Garmin may be annoying, but it will give you an audible warning when something is close where a mirror will not.

Originally I bought my TL510 because I needed a tail light, Ive glad I purchased the Garmin, exceeded my expectations since they orginally were very low.
With a mirror, you can tell how close the vehicle behind is going to pass you or if it is going to hit you, so you can dive for the shoulder.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I do not ride my bike thinking that everyone is going to hit me. I think if I did, I would hang up my bike. 99.9999999999999999999% of the time, the car passes. I like those odds. If my time comes, I'm ok checking out, I've had a good ride.

By the time you think the car is going to hit you, you're already done. The average reaction time is too slow to process all the information and your excape plan. You're foolish if you think otherwise.

I purchased the light because I needed one. The bonus is that I get information if there is anything that is behind me. Right now, I'm learning to check my turn [using Garmin] without even turning my head. I only turn my head when Garmin says there is something close. Is it worth $200? I do not know, I purchased my for $90.

If a mirror makes you feel warm and fuzzy, then have at it.

AJS914

by AJS914

The Varia gives you eyes in the back of your head. It can track multiple cars at a time. Radar will forever be part of my road kit.

fxx

by fxx

AJS914 wrote:The Varia gives you eyes in the back of your head. It can track multiple cars at a time. Radar will forever be part of my road kit.
Radar AND mirror.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I use both a mirror and a radar as well. Sometimes if the car follows me at the exact same speed as me it won't show up on the radar. Also when I make a left turn I always double-check with the mirrow just in case. Nothing is as fool-proof as a quick glance back using the mirror.

tleo

by tleo

Another mirror and radar user here. For my typical rides on low traffic roads that are wide open, have few hills and curves and no trees they complement each other very well.

jacobeh

by jacobeh

refthimos wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:50 pm
I picked up the RVR315 (the new version without the light), and it's a total keeper for me. I can see why the racer type (I resemble one myself) would think this is more of a commuter/tourist product, but I think it actually let's me ride faster. Knowing whether or not there are cars approaching from behind, I can use more of the road (i.e. "straightening out" twisty sections), especially climbing and descending. And the RVR315 version is pretty light at 51g. I have a Pro Stealth saddle and using the GoPro mount with a Garmin adaptor, the RV315 sits right behind my saddle. I daresay it's an almost sleek setup.

I'm even planning on using it on my TT bike, for the reasons noted above - knowing the road behind is clear allows you to straighten out curves in the road. I haven't had a false negative yet, so I feel confident using the full width of the road without breaking aero and turning my head back to check for cars approaching behind.
Have you used yours in a group ride? I'm getting false positives on / off in a group (sometimes it goes crazy and beeps multiple times rapidly) and am wondering if it is because I've placed mine under the saddle like you

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

req110

by req110

delete
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
SW Epic 8 Satin Carbon L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p SID Ultimate / in the making