Valve extender in carbon rim

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

How does on remove it without cutting the rim, or punching their fist through the nearest wall?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Is this a trick question?

You unscrew it and pull it out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Is it inside the rim?

I'd try to thread it on a wire and then when it sticks out of the valve hole pull it out with pliars.

AJS914

by AJS914

It went in from the bottom and then got stuck? It seems like you would need to tap it back out the way it went in.

hannawald

by hannawald

There are some videos on youtube how to do it. I didn't succeed but my lbs did. You need to get it close to valve hole and then use a spoke..

CrankyCarbon

by CrankyCarbon

I'm not sure I'm reading the problem correctly?
You have a valve extender roaming around inside a carbon rim ?

You'll probably need 2 people. one to hold the wheel up and get the extender to go down around the valve hole.
Then from below use a needle nose pliers (from the tire/rim side) to try and grab it then a spoke (from the spoke/hub side) [ or long thin rod or some type like a metal coat hanger straight part] to try and get it vertical to get it out.

One trick, if the needle nose is really thin you can get it inside the extender and open the pliers to grip it from the inside. Then you'll have more control. The whole (or hole) trick is how much space you have (tubular vs clincher rim walls) and how deep a profile, etc.

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

Maybe a magnet would help ?
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

hannawald

by hannawald

I don't think so, it is aluminium not steel..

But with enough patience it is possible to manage it. Two people are better. Put the wheel on the table so it is more stabile and you can do very small moves with it. You can't hold it in hands above you unless you can really control your hands like a chinese kung fu master..Get the extender close to valve hole and than use spoke.

Gary71

by Gary71

hannawald wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:58 pm
I don't think so, it is aluminium not steel..

But with enough patience it is possible to manage it. Two people are better. Put the wheel on the table so it is more stabile and you can do very small moves with it. You can't hold it in hands above you unless you can really control your hands like a chinese kung fu master..Get the extender close to valve hole and than use spoke.
....or a 1.5mm Hex key - the bent end comes in handy

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

lol Shake it for 3.7 hours without a break. I guarantee that within that time frame everything will line up perfectly and it will fall out.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

gurk700

by gurk700

had it happen twice. be patient. there’s a great youtube video on it. search, watch, do the same.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

wheelbuilder wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:29 am
lol Shake it for 3.7 hours without a break. I guarantee that within that time frame everything will line up perfectly and it will fall out.
... dont forget to record it and put it up on youtube, for educational purposes.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I guess my reply did not work. I got the wheel horizontal. Put a led flashlight in the hole on the hub side of the rim, and finessed the valve extender into sight, then speared it with a unwound safety pin. Once skewered, i finessed it out the hole on the rim tape end.

I also swore up and down at first. It took about 15 minutes and was a 7/10 on the rage scale.... mainly because it was a new bike day and the second ride on the bike was delayed due to this.

In orher news, the extender messes with my pump accuracy (the valve is part of the original stem, and the extender is a neck that extends up). A traditional valve extender with the actual valve at the top will be going on both wheels asap.

CrankyCarbon

by CrankyCarbon

RocketRacing wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:08 am
I guess my reply did not work. I got the wheel horizontal. Put a led flashlight in the hole on the hub side of the rim, and finessed the valve extender into sight, then speared it with a unwound safety pin. Once skewered, i finessed it out the hole on the rim tape end.

I also swore up and down at first. It took about 15 minutes and was a 7/10 on the rage scale.... mainly because it was a new bike day and the second ride on the bike was delayed due to this.

In orher news, the extender messes with my pump accuracy (the valve is part of the original stem, and the extender is a neck that extends up). A traditional valve extender with the actual valve at the top will be going on both wheels asap.
I do not like the extenders that you do not remove the valve core and put on the extender.
I've found while riding, the ones that I had, the valve would tighten while riding on Vittoria Corsa 3s. I had to use a thin rubber "pipe" to put in the open extender to reopen the valve nearly each and every time before pumping the tires up.

I had some old Spinergy extenders with the top valve that actually pressed against the real valve and you were able to open/close them. That was good until I bought some Continental valve extenders where you move the valve core to the extender. A much better solution overall.

Good to hear you got that extender out of your rim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

CrankyCarbon wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:22 pm
I do not like the extenders that you do not remove the valve core and put on the extender.
I've found while riding, the ones that I had, the valve would tighten while riding on Vittoria Corsa 3s. I had to use a thin rubber "pipe" to put in the open extender to reopen the valve nearly each and every time before pumping the tires up.

I had some old Spinergy extenders with the top valve that actually pressed against the real valve and you were able to open/close them. That was good until I bought some Continental valve extenders where you move the valve core to the extender. A much better solution overall.

Good to hear you got that extender out of your rim.
Yup, the valve extenders are going. I want accurate pressures and no fuss, and i like my valve where i can see it.