Rapha Quality

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
Miller

by Miller

Hoping nobody has got clothes moths in their home, they're absolute b@stards to get rid of. We had a house in 2011 that, it turned out, had an infestation in the carpet under a bed. 10 years and two houses later we still haven't quite got rid of them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Conza

by Conza

Really don't think its moths... although that crossed my mind. Never see them? And no other clothes effected but Rapha?
Although most of my merino is only Rapha.
Miller wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:26 pm
Hoping nobody has got clothes moths in their home, they're absolute b@stards to get rid of. We had a house in 2011 that, it turned out, had an infestation in the carpet under a bed. 10 years and two houses later we still haven't quite got rid of them.
They shifted houses with the move? :shock:
It's all about the adventure :o .

Miller

by Miller

Conza wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:08 am
They get into your stuff. You can't throw out everything and you don't necessarily find all the places where they've laid eggs. Don't underestimate clothes moths.

wilwil

by wilwil

The pockets on the PT jerseys went saggy a few years ago but my more recent PT jersey is fine
I have a PT softshell jacket from last year and it appears to be very well made
One pair PT bibs from about 5 years ago didnt last long at all
I recently bought a pair of Power weave bibs and they are fantastic except the stitching holding the pad unravelled after 3 rides. Rapha replaced them no problem.
I think quality did go down hill but may have improved in the last year or so. I switched to Assos bibs but dont get on with the Equipe S9 too low and wide at the front so any surplus flesh just hangs over the top. Also Ive noticed on other riders that the pad does not stay centred which defeats the object of them.
Moths love merino base layers.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

I have started to notice that most of my Rapha clothing is no longer manufactured in China. The whole RCC kit for this year for example. Either Europe, Vietnam, and somewhere else that I'm forgetting.

I also feel that quality is picking up. The Pro Team bibs from this year have been absolutely perfect IMO as has the Pro team jersey. Even the RCC hat is higher quality than the pure garbage cap from 2019.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

Dov

by Dov

The best quality stuff comes from China!
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

Shrike

by Shrike

Rapha's quality on their special edition kit was a p*ss take, but in general there was a period where I think they experimented with corner cutting after the acquisition. Last I bought from them was Sept 2020, got another PT Insulated jacket and PT thermal jersey, and the PT gloves. These are safe pieces I find, even though the insulated jacket stitching along the arm seam hasn't improved over the years, but easily fixed at tailors.

I've moved to MAAP this year, first dipping my toe in, but now going all in. They have a really nice aesthetic this year, looks like they're getting their act together and can do an overall look like that's classy and sporty. Hope it continues but was a good seasons for them looks wise.

Anyway, not why I popped in - I usually poke fun at the PENIS brand, but I had a random look today and they seem to have some kit out that doesn't make me facepalm. They've always been best for colours, just unbuyable because of the stupid HELVETICA (or whatever) font plastered all over, which makes the whole brand look like some random dude opened a graphic design book on minimalism, didn't make it past page 1, then decided to create a cycling brand like an art student hero.

However! They have some PAS stuff now in the TKO range which is infinitely better than the usual 'PNS'. Hope this is the start of the move away from the PENIS abbr. because that is a jaw-dropping oversight that has definitely cost sales in the UK region.

They've got a classy jersey without that crap all over it now

And a sporty 'pro peloton logo-fest' jersey that looks cool, without being cringe or cheap (though this desirable colour isn't actually available for sale I notice)

Jacket is pro looking too - like this vibe for when you're feeling bolder. Not elitist looking how minimalist design can be a lot of the time. Always wanted one of their beige jackets, so holding out hope they do a season without the back covered in the usual nonsense. Or even this TKO jacket in another colour would be class.

What you think, PAS starting to sort their shop out? Maybe more PAS and less PNS, and kit without lines of minimalist font plastered all over the back of it? Seeing PAS and MAAP mature design wise would be great for all of us. Really felt like only RAPHA was actually nailing design without major faux-pas, or comically insecure branding all over it. Oddly enough Rapha has fallen victim to the over branding trap in recent years hence why I've moved away from them. The few pieces I have now you can hardly see any RAPHA on it due to the darker colour ways.

PAS bibs are still sadly a disaster - didn't spot anything that didn't have some guff like SOLITUDE or MECHANISM on the ass. No clue what they're thinking there, but here's hoping, because the style and colours on their bibs have been excellent for years. Just again, unbuyable for now.

Sin2000

by Sin2000

Conza wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:08 am
Really don't think its moths... although that crossed my mind. Never see them? And no other clothes effected but Rapha?
Although most of my merino is only Rapha.
Miller wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:26 pm
I picked up some moths in a flat I lived in 20 years ago and can confirm that they move house with you - I've moved twice and they still are a bit of a problem. 100% agree that they are total b@stards to get rid of and that they love wool, merino, cashmere etc.

Richington

by Richington

Bit of a random question this but here goes:

I bought a pair of rapha classic bibs in 2012 which I then "grew" out of because I started weightlifting pretty seriously. I recently tried them on after shedding some weight and to my surprise they fit perfectly again. Been thinking about buying another pair like them but wondering if the sizing and fit is even comparable almost 10 years later. Does anyone have any experience or input on the matter?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Conza wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:53 am
Merino quality. Anyone else getting lots of holes in their various merino kit? Talking more city stuff, underwear/boxers. Shirts, under layers etc.

I have hand washed all, bloody bizarre. Dunno what the deal is.
I've had the merino baselayers hole themselves to death, but i've had considerable use out of them first.
I think its just got a shelf life not as long as everyone thinks.
Official cafe stop tester

Dov

by Dov

The acquisition by the Walton's had absolutely no effect on product quality. The two may correlated but there is zero causation.
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Noticing my Rapha Pro Team bibs are coming undone around the chamois. Finding these long loose threads at the end of rides. Just recently, after a ride and during coffee, a friend happent to find a long loose thread around the chamois area on his bib as well. He was pissed! In both cases, these bibs were purchased a couple of months ago. This, in contrast to bibs that have lasted for many years, issue free. Rapha wants me to send mine back for repair. Debating whether to just have them re-sewn locally or spend the time and money shipping them back.

guyc

by guyc

FWIW there are a lot of posts on the RCC forum where people have the same stitching issue. Clearly a QC issue there.

kookie

by kookie

I just checked my bibs and have the same issue with my Pro Team Training bibs (3-4 rides). The thread that goes along the edge of the chamois came loose at various areas of the chamois. Bibs are still OK but probably get worse with more rides/washes.

Could be the type of stiching?

I looked at my Assos bibs and they have a different style of stiching (at least for the bibs I have).

kode54

by kode54

I bought a few MAAP items recently. Their quality and design is a bit better this year and the short sleeve jersey is quite nice with good quality construction.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com