Bora One 50 Clincher vs Bora WTO 45

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Pierre86

by Pierre86

KSP498 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:30 pm
Safe to run a 23mm clincher on a 19c rim?
You'll have no issues, I had to go to a 23 Gp4k to fit the back of my supersix on a 20.5mm internal Belgium+ and saw no negatives
S6 Evo
S5 Aero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, according to Campy, the WTO’s are good for 23-28mm tires. So if you went that way and a 25mm was too big (pretty sure it would be), then I suppose you could go for the 23mm instead to be sure to abide by the “105 Rule”, but it’s not exactly an “aero” frame you’re working with so I’d much rather lean towards a nicer ride quality than aero.
The Bora Ones differ from the “Ultra” version in that the Ultra has the CULT bearings and a carbon hub shell. You’d have to ask Campy why they’re not doing the WTO’s in an “Ultra” version. They don’t do a tubular version either, which is why if I were to build a disc bike now, I’d be using the Bora Ones in tubular. The WTO’s also have a unidirectional finish on the rims versus a carbon weave. The choice is yours.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nickstea

by nickstea

Thanks Cal, do you think the Bora One will accomodate a 28mm tire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guyc

by guyc

Yes it will. But it may well bulb a little depending on the tyre.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

My alu clinchers are 21 ext 16 int, 25 tires are bulbing but not excessively so. Probably 28 on 24.5 boras should be similar. I can't complain too much about handling (I can compare to tubular bora with 25 and 28 tubs)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@nickstea: Sure it will handle the tire, but like was said, it may not be the best of fits or rather, it may be a bit "plush" for my liking, but it certainly won't be bad. Your issue will be whether there will be enough clearance in your frame for it, and I kind of doubt there will be.

[edit]: sorry, I was confusing you with the OP and his C59. You're buidling a C64 disc? Should be just fine. Guyc is running 28's on his C64 with WTO's and rim brakes. The C64 does have a 28mm "actual" size limit, but if GuyC can run his 28's on his WTO's with the 19mm internal width, then you should be more than ok. I don't recall what the internal rim width is on the Bora One Disc wheels. If it's the same as the existing Boras (17mm), then for sure you'd be fine. And even at 19mm internal width, since they fit Guyc's bike, they should fit yours no problem as well.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nickstea

by nickstea

Calnago wrote:@nickstea: Sure it will handle the tire, but like was said, it may not be the best of fits or rather, it may be a bit "plush" for my liking, but it certainly won't be bad. Your issue will be whether there will be enough clearance in your frame for it, and I kind of doubt there will be.

[edit]: sorry, I was confusing you with the OP and his C59. You're buidling a C64 disc? Should be just fine. Guyc is running 28's on his C64 with WTO's and rim brakes. The C64 does have a 28mm "actual" size limit, but if GuyC can run his 28's on his WTO's with the 19mm internal width, then you should be more than ok. I don't recall what the internal rim width is on the Bora One Disc wheels. If it's the same as the existing Boras (17mm), then for sure you'd be fine. And even at 19mm internal width, since they fit Guyc's bike, they should fit yours no problem as well.
The Campy website interestingly doesn’t publish what size tires are recommended for the One’s also doesn’t publish the internal width. I’m fairly certain the internal width is 17mm though. The C64 should have no problem with the 28mm tires, it’s the wheels I’m worried about. I’m pretty sold on the One over the WTO due to the shallow depth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The wheels won’t have a problem taking the tires if that’s how you want to go. Depends on what you prefer I guess. Get a set of each and test them out... 25’s and 28’s on the Bora One clinchers. That’s the only way you’ll really know for sure. Otherwise it’s just talk on the internet. Personally I’d be on the 25’s on those rims. They’re still going to be higher volume on those rims than a 25mm tubular.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I normally run Spec Turbo Cotton 24s on my Bora Ultra 50s, and my WTO 60s.. I recently picked up a set of GP5000s in a 23 to try out on the Bora 50s.. nice tires for sure.. I kinda like the all black look.. Im running latex tubes in them as well.. havent really decided which I prefer yet...

bespoke

by bespoke

You are my new best friend !
Yet another question; how do you find the Bora’s vs the WTOs. Ones the all time classic vs the young pretender with all the new tech....
In the real world how different are they?
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com