Deep rear wheel on windy days?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AnkitS

by AnkitS

I used to respect both of your opinions....
That's disgusting.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:30 am
I used to respect both of your opinions....
That's disgusting.
it was for fun... although I did use that aeolus setup on the TT bike. Hell I had Enve 7.8 in rim brake and stuck them on my road bike a few times.. yeah I didn't like the look. Round tube frame with deep wheels... :x
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If you think that's ugly...

I ran an 88mm front and 58mm rear a while back. Scored some low hanging aero points while keeping weight down. Makes some sense.

Jugi

by Jugi

Lewn777 wrote:I hate the feeling of riding with side-winds and getting blown around not just on bicycles, but also on motos, for me it starts a negative feedback loop as I feel I'm not in control I grab the bar harder and that tension increases less control and more tension.

I'd never bother with anything over a 50mm rim but 30mm is my go to, but my rides are mostly up and down mountains and hills where aero isn't that important anyway. But for everyone it depends on your local terrain. If I lived in a flatter area I would certainly experiment with deeper rims.
Well said. First and foremost it's a matter of personal preference and individual needs. No matter what the scales or aerodynamic tests say, in most cases the fastest wheelset is the one which feels most suitable from an individual perspective.
vanillaflyweight wrote:Takes 10 sec to swap out the front and braking would be similar so this would be my choice. If the rears are slightly different you will then need to include time for indexing gears, adjusting brakes etc.
Another good point. Right now I have a 45mm set and a 65mm set for my road. Rim brakes and the rims are identical at the brake track, so no adjustments needed. As it happens the rear hubs are very close to identical in dimensions, so no need to adjust gears either. Makes wheel changes effortless.

I'll add another point - on top of wheel behaviour in crosswinds, rim's mass will have a clear effect in wheel inertia and therefore it effects riding feel in all conditions. For an example, my 45mm set weighs >1300g and the 65mm set is >1600g. The 65mm set feels more stable and faster in a straight line, but they are a bit harder to turn into a corner. Bike's "agility" and a sense of steering sharpness is somewhat diminished, but they are really fun to ride fast as they give a feeling of being "on rails", which just increases with speed. On the other hand, nothing beats the effortless feeling of a very light wheelset, which doesn't gather much inertia, doesn't have overpowering aero properties (as in sustaining it's direction just based on airflow) and always accelerates & changes direction quickly.

I'd go for the CLX32 on a Tarmac. On a Venge, in my opinion everything shallower than 50mm looks out of place.

Campervan

by Campervan

Like flipping a coin trying to decide. I ride alone training once a week, group ride once a week. I also do triathlons and duathlons. My normal hunting ground is 2500ft in 50 miles so not hilly, but can get windy as I life on the South Coast of England and ride mainly in the New Forest. However I do occasionally ride in hilly areas (Yorkshire/Tenerife).
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Scott Scale 940
Boardman CXR 9.4 cxr CX/gravel mongrel
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

alcatraz wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:33 am
If you think that's ugly...

I ran an 88mm front and 58mm rear a while back. Scored some low hanging aero points while keeping weight down. Makes some sense.
now that is just fixie territory
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault