Finally Gumwall Tubeless Tires!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

ancker wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:17 pm
Who said anything about them needing to be good? They just bring the gumwall goodness.
This. I'll be doing more research but these may very likely be my new tires come spring. I've been waiting for a tubless gumwall for what feels like forever.
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nachetetm

by nachetetm

I've been using Challenge PR open tubulars for more than two years. After 4000 kms the thread is now barely visible, but they still have rubber left. If nothing kills them they should see at least another 2000 km. They grip well (not that well when the temperature goes below 10C), only had one puncture (a staple went through), did many gravel KMs with them without complain... They may not be the fastest rolling tire on the drum tests (just as fast as Veloflex) but they really shine at pretty much everything else. I was disappointed when the much expected Corsa tubeless appeared only in black, but now that challenge has the PR tubeless, with tan wall and the tubular-type carcass I'm pretty sure I will get them very soon. My only question is if they will keep growing as much out of their advertised size (regular PR are not a 27c tire, but a 30c tire). Regarding the difficult montage, the trick is using two schwalbe levers clamping the rim to hold the bead and use the third one to mount the last part of it. Since I learned that challenge tires are not such a fuss to mount.

hannawald

by hannawald

Lots of people seems to like challenge tires.. I've never used them before. What's so bad about them?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Reliability. Too many people i know incl. me threw them away after less than 1000 km because the thread started to lift from the base.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

They’re not gumwall, the TLRs are brown, like Panaracers.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Brown...
Attachments
BF620843-0FE5-4E4F-B1F0-2C27AF6672D3.jpeg
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

emotive

by emotive

jlok wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:58 am
ancker wrote:
Who said anything about them needing to be good? They just bring the gumwall goodness.
This. Proper gumwall tlr tires! yes pls!
Rene Herse have proper gumwalls, they are super lightweight, fast-rolling, and the 700 x 35mm and all wider models are tubeless-ready. Since the sidewalls are so supple, you need to use a latex sealant. I find Orange Seal works best. It takes a day or 2 laying them on their side to fill in the small air gaps. After that the ride is sublime. Hard to go back to other tyres. I tried, and failed.

Gary71

by Gary71

emotive wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:59 am
jlok wrote:
ancker wrote:
Rene Herse have proper gumwalls, they are super lightweight, fast-rolling, and the 700 x 35mm and all wider models are tubeless-ready. Since the sidewalls are so supple, you need to use a latex sealant. I find Orange Seal works best. It takes a day or 2 laying them on their side to fill in the small air gaps. After that the ride is sublime. Hard to go back to other tyres. I tried, and failed.
Never tried them. Do you go the ultra light or standard option? Who supplies them to Aust?

emotive

by emotive

Gary71 wrote:
emotive wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:59 am
jlok wrote:
ancker wrote:
Never tried them. Do you go the ultra light or standard option? Who supplies them to Aust?
The ultralight have the same amount of tread with lighter weight sidewalls. If you don’t ride near sharp rocks, go the ultralights. Less weight and more supple ride is a double win.

Available from www.ccache.cc in Sydney or Commuter Cycles in Melbourne.

sychen

by sychen

Pity the rene herse tubeless only starts at 35mm.

32mm and down are tubed.

Would of been interested to try then out at some point otherwise.

torob

by torob

Anyone try these challenge tubless let?
Using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Just ordered a set of these. Need to work out which sealant works best with them though.

emotive

by emotive

sychen wrote:Pity the rene herse tubeless only starts at 35mm.

32mm and down are tubed.

Would of been interested to try then out at some point otherwise.

Came across a Belgian shop that set up the Stampede Pass (32mm) tubeless. See https://www.instagram.com/p/B8CIKxKlTxY ... 35p6a76drt

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Just because they can doesnt mean they're safe..

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

ancker

by ancker

I have no interest in tubeless hacks. I went tubeless due to countless flats with tubes.
Running a non-tubeless tire as tubeless feels like a way to end up unhappy with everything overall.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ancker

by ancker

To bump this thread. Finally an option from Continental.

Probably the next tire I put on my 'fast' bike.

https://dailyspin.co/articles/the-new-c ... every-way/