Giant propel advanced pro disc 2020 vs merida reacto 8000 e

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Bogdan

by Bogdan

Hi guys! I want to buy a disc brake bike and i don't know witch one to pick?! Same bikes has ultegra R8070. Merida with the vision metron 55 wheels and the propel with giant slr wheels. Witch one to pick or should i go to another brand??

citrusparty

by citrusparty

I'm in a similar position at the moment, in the hunt for a relatively affordable aero bike.

It's worth noting that in my opinion neither can be classified as the current generation aero bikes which are fast but super comfy. I've seen reviews of both saying that they're are stiff but unforgiving. However, they're much cheaper than the super bikes (venge, madone, S5 etc)

The Merida (at least in Australia) should be more affordable, but the model is a couple of years older and doesn't have full integrated cables.

The giant has a power meter, so you have to account for that into the price (you you don't already have one).

On the wheels:
Both are in the same weight range (1600ish gr). The visions look to be 19/25 internal/external. Giants are 17/23 from what I can see. I don't know what shape the Giants are, but the visions are the modern U shape which is better.

Overall weight: I think the giant wins, but weights aren't easily googleable.

Tyre clearance: I've ridden with people with the rim brake reactor and I think you could get 28s easily, so maybe a 30 on this disc version. You can get 32s in the propel according to a vlog on cycling weekly YouTube channel.

Overall, I'd go the propel

by Weenie

silvalis

by silvalis

They are much a muchness from my point of view, so I'd buy whichever looks better. A couple of years back I'd have said the propel, but that stem cover is ugly and reactos look a lot sleeker these days.
Chasse patate

Jugi

by Jugi

I would go for the Propel. It think it represents "peak aero" in a good way. Although the current frame design is starting to get a bit old, as long as it has been around rim and disc brake variants have done very well in aerodynamic comparisons. The rim brake Propel's Achilles' heel were the less than mediocre proprietary brakes, which of course the disc brake bike has gotten rid of.

The Propel has also been characterized as a stiff and unforgiving racing rig, but I bet that can be remedied by tire selection. Also, one has to be at peace with the visual appereance of the stem/headtube interface, and be sure all the integration and proprietary bits offer enough of range for adjustments.

Bogdan

by Bogdan

I might chose the propel to. The propel i will buy only the frame, the chameleon terra paint, for about 1600€. Seems to me o will go much down in the poket for the reacto. For propel i can choose the wheels that i like, i might buy the hunt wheels set. From the moment i have a Scott foil rc 2018 with dura ace 9170 rim brake version and i want to sell it. I have time to think witch i can choose.

by Weenie

citrusparty

by citrusparty

Bogdan wrote:I might chose the propel to. The propel i will buy only the frame, the chameleon terra paint, for about 1600€. Seems to me o will go much down in the poket for the reacto. For propel i can choose the wheels that i like, i might buy the hunt wheels set. From the moment i have a Scott foil rc 2018 with dura ace 9170 rim brake version and i want to sell it. I have time to think witch i can choose.
Don't buy hunt wheels, they're slow and overpriced. Get some lightbicycle or similar instead