Campagnolo EPS 12s Compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RobJ

by RobJ

Trying to determine if the new Chorus 12s chainset in the 48/32 combination would be compatible with the SR EPS 12s FD? Couldn’t find anything and haven’t heard back from Campy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2020 BMC TeamMachine SLR 01

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaveS

by DaveS

Can you get the FD low enough? That can be an issue with braze-on mounts. I would be surprised if Campy says yes, but if it will shift a 50/34, the 48/32 should work. The new Chorus group covers all chainring sizes with one FD.

The chain may need to be 1 inch shorter with the 48/32. I use a 54 inch chain with an 11-34 and 406mm chain stays.

RobJ

by RobJ

Thanks Dave! Campy said that they don't officially support the config but they have people using it with no issues. Now the other issue would be rear tire clearance if using the FD with a high volume gravel tire..
2020 BMC TeamMachine SLR 01

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

RobJ wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:56 pm
Thanks Dave! Campy said that they don't officially support the config but they have people using it with no issues. Now the other issue would be rear tire clearance if using the FD with a high volume gravel tire..
From CT's writeup:
Second, there’s no single-chainring option for the drivetrain. And perhaps most importantly, the stated tire clearance for the front derailleur tops out at a modest 700x32mm, which suggests all of this is aimed more at the all-road crowd, or simply older road riders who need easier gears when heading uphill.
https://cyclingtips.com/2019/04/campagn ... h-details/

I guess it depends on what "high volume" means for you and if you're willing to go 650b, but based on my experience with separate framesets (Crux, Stigmata, U.P., SuperX) 700x32 is safely equivalent with 650x42, so that size should def clear the Chorus FD. Depending on frameset design you might be able to go even larger, but as always YMMV.