Are you using a bell/horn on your road bike?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Gary71
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:25 am
Location: Brisbane Australia

by Gary71

Bells are compulsory here in Queensland Australia....., I like to keep it clean on the handlebars - so I put it under the seat.
i can still use it if I want to
Attachments
IMG_1025.JPG

User avatar
silvalis
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:02 am
Location: Aus

by silvalis

spurcycle or the rockbros copy
Chasse patate

by Weenie


sychen
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:06 pm

by sychen

Gary71 wrote:Bells are compulsory here in Queensland Australia....., I like to keep it clean on the handlebars - so I put it under the seat.
i can still use it if I want to
What bell is that? How is it attached?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk


hkgmatt
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:17 am

by hkgmatt

Gary71 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:19 pm
Bells are compulsory here in Queensland Australia....., I like to keep it clean on the handlebars - so I put it under the seat.
i can still use it if I want to
What a great idea!

Multebear
Posts: 1320
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 10:11 pm

by Multebear

hkgmatt wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:01 pm
Gary71 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:19 pm
Bells are compulsory here in Queensland Australia....., I like to keep it clean on the handlebars - so I put it under the seat.
i can still use it if I want to
What a great idea!
As long as you're aware that if you move the bell behind you, it will be harder to hear in front of you. And if it's too far away from your hand, you'll get annoyed moving har hand so far away from the handlebar.

Gary71
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:25 am
Location: Brisbane Australia

by Gary71

silvalis wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:33 pm
spurcycle or the rockbros copy
Neither. It is a mini bell that can attach to cables or rails - almost anywhere....., and just buy one at my LBS when I see one. I have not found a smaller bell.

This is not exactly the same (ringing hammer is slightly different) but it looks similar: https://www.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogu ... -Mini-Bell

Even the side view of the bike at the coffee shop (or wherever) from the side annoys me because I can see it bulging from under the seat.
I'm a little OCD in having a clean, clutterfree cockpit on my bikes. I hate putting any Garmin mounts, lights, bells or anything on my handlebars......., I think I have a problem and need to speak to someone about it :noidea: :lol:

User avatar
silvalis
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:02 am
Location: Aus

by silvalis

Gary71 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:01 pm
silvalis wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:33 pm
spurcycle or the rockbros copy
Neither. It is a mini bell that can attach to cables or rails - almost anywhere....., and just buy one at my LBS when I see one. I have not found a smaller bell.

This is not exactly the same (ringing hammer is slightly different) but it looks similar: https://www.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogu ... -Mini-Bell

Even the side view of the bike at the coffee shop (or wherever) from the side annoys me because I can see it bulging from under the seat.
I'm a little OCD in having a clean, clutterfree cockpit on my bikes. I hate putting any Garmin mounts, lights, bells or anything on my handlebars......., I think I have a problem and need to speak to someone about it :noidea: :lol:
Eh? That was my recommendation/what I use.

I'm in bris too. My commuting path used to go along the bottom of the KP cliffs so having quick access to a bell was necessary. I don't want to grab at my seat right before I have to do a panic stop because of some walker wearing headphones.
Chasse patate

User avatar
Calnago
Posts: 8529
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm

by Calnago

silvalis wrote: I don't want to grab at my seat right before I have to do a panic stop because of some walker wearing headphones.
Absolutely this. I can’t imagine a worse place for a bell. I want both hands on the bars as I approach to pass anyone, especially on a bike path where you never know which way the mother, toddler, dogs and trailers might end up moving last minute. That’s why the pleasant slow decaying sound of the SpurCycle is so great... you can hear it from far away, it’s not scary, and gives the people up ahead lots of warning instead of scaring the bejesus out of them. Plus it is and looks like a quality piece of kit on the bike, well at least as much as any bell could possibly accomplish that.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RyanH
Moderator
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

by RyanH

I had a spurcycle Bell but found myself still needing to call out 20% of the time due to the people being that oblivious or having ear buds in. The problem is that I would have to call out when I'm closer than I want to be. I gave up on wanting to be polite and use a combo of freehub and calling out (and yelling if necessary).

User avatar
Calnago
Posts: 8529
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm

by Calnago

Well, yeah... it’s tough when some joker is rockin’ out with earphones in etc. in that case, after fair warning by bell or voice, if they’re still oblivious then they are fair game for a good cuff on the back of the head as you zip by.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

jlok
Posts: 1058
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:30 am

by jlok

RyanH wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:12 am
I had a spurcycle Bell but found myself still needing to call out 20% of the time due to the people being that oblivious or having ear buds in. The problem is that I would have to call out when I'm closer than I want to be. I gave up on wanting to be polite and use a combo of freehub and calling out (and yelling if necessary).
Agree.

The fundamental problem is that people dont care about the others anymore nowadays. They have no awareness of how they're affecting the others.

While I like the loud freehub strategy, I tend to just wait a few seconds before politely greeting them like Good Morning to let them know I'm approaching and hopefully they'd give way.
Litespeed T1sl Disc / BMC TM02 < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Gary71
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:25 am
Location: Brisbane Australia

by Gary71

I only use the bell 10% of the time. When I am rolling super slow , like through southbank or a beach cruise. I only have one because it saves me an $80 fine from Mr.Plod....., otherwise I use my voice. I've had too many tourists or pedestrians step into my path when using a bell. i find a polite verbal communication more effective and gives them a better understanding on how to negotiate my passing.
I'm with Ryan on this one.

fourfa
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:04 am

by fourfa

Am I still on Weight Weenies? I don't see the word 'gram' anywhere here :)

I've put HideMyBell mounts on all bikes: https://www.closethegap.cc/ Same weight or less than standard bike computer mounts, no extra bar real estate taken up, there's a GoPro accessory mount on some of the models, looks like lately they do colors and aero models.

User avatar
bigfatty
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:53 am

by bigfatty

I always have a plastic whistle round my neck... about 5 grams

by Weenie


User avatar
Calnago
Posts: 8529
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm

by Calnago

fourfa wrote:Am I still on Weight Weenies? I don't see the word 'gram' anywhere here :)
SpurCycle...
Image

Image
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post