Are you using a bell/horn on your road bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

scapewalker

by scapewalker

I'm getting tired of shouting at people and i was wondering whether some of you are already using a bell to scare people :D

If so what kind of bell/horn are you using?

I had a quick look at what's available and can't seem to find anything i would feel comfortable using on my new venge.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Spurcycle Ringer. By far the best bell available on the market.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

+1

quality bell. great sound.
MayhemSWE wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:49 pm
Spurcycle Ringer. By far the best bell available on the market.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I wanted to buy the spur and then decided for the knog oi luxe after hearing a comparison where the knog seemed close in volume but lower in pitch. The high tone of the spur seemed a bit annoying for my taste. I got the knog and while it sounds very nice in hand, on the bike some rings sound distorted and low in sustain for no apparent reason. It also chirps continously if there is a bit of headwind or rough surface. I'll probably give it to some city rider and get the spur. Pitty because it looks good and sounds good too (just not every time)
Attachments
IMG_20190902_210858.jpg

StanK

by StanK

If you have really loud freehub (like I do, unfortunately) that's enough in all cases :mrgreen:

Miller

by Miller

Not on my road bike but yes on my gravel bike. It's a Crane, it's discreet on the bars yet well placed for my thumb, it makes one nice clear ring. I use it a fair bit to warn dog walkers etc of my approach and it doesn't seem to be annoying for anyone. I like having it and I do wonder if one would be useful on a road bike... but more clutter on the bar puts me off the idea.

Last edited by Miller on Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

A friend recently got some hunt wheels - the hub sound is atrocious

Cosmo

by Cosmo

Crane E Ne. Nice sound with good staying tone and doesn't rattle/ring on the roughest roads; not quite as nice as a Spur but well made and a bit cheaper in Europe.

If you ride on bike paths/multi use paths you need a bell. Five days after moving to the NL I passed a lady on her shopping bike (I asked to pass in a normal voice)-as I went by she pointed at the "jonge wielrenner" and said "get a bell!". Over time you'll find a nice bell is worth the money-cheap ones just feel cheap even if they kind of still make noise.
after 2 drinks I'm a loser, after 3 a star

Multebear

by Multebear

scapewalker wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:45 pm

Are you using a bell/horn on your road bike?
Oh yes. My bell is just about my favorite part of my bike(s). There's nothing like the feeling of "politely" telling people to f*ck off. This is admitedly one of my guilty pleasures in life :twisted:

Before the bell, I usually got this answer when politely asking people to move:
Cosmo wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:04 pm

"get a bell!".
But now, I´m ringing my bell like a madman and people have nothing to throw back at me.

I went to all the LBS in my area and found the loudest one, and bought 4 of them - one for each bike including my pubbike. And let me just say, they are getting used very liberaly. And since they are so loud, people actually move out of the way before I have to touch the brakes. And this is what is the problem if the bell isn't loud enough. They hear the bell so late, that I have to pull the brakes before they are out of the way.

If you have trouble finding a loud bell, take a look at aliexpress. There are some cheap electric ones, that definitely are getting attention on the bikepath as well. Some of the have the sound of a scooter. And people tend to move faster, if they think you're a scooter.
Last edited by Multebear on Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Roel W

by Roel W

BBB-15
Cheap and reliable and invisible when mounted under your stem:

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I use a HideMyBell. It's made life a lot easier as a cyclist in The Netherlands.

MoPho

by MoPho

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:08 pm
I wanted to buy the spur and then decided for the knog oi luxe after hearing a comparison where the knog seemed close in volume but lower in pitch. The high tone of the spur seemed a bit annoying for my taste. I got the knog and while it sounds very nice in hand, on the bike some rings sound distorted and low in sustain for no apparent reason. It also chirps continously if there is a bit of headwind or rough surface. I'll probably give it to some city rider and get the spur. Pitty because it looks good and sounds good too (just not every time)

I have the Knog Luxe oi bell and have had no such issues with it. Occasionally it will chirp on some harder bumps, but pretty rarely. It looks a lot better than the spur bell too.

Bell definitely works better than yelling

hkgmatt

by hkgmatt

+1 for both the Spurbell and the Knog Oi Luxe as they are discreet and nice sounding. The standard Oi is similar in appearance but only lasted a year before the "tongue" broke off.

loheiman

by loheiman

I use a Trigger Bell and I love it. It's quite discreet looking and you can mount it in the hoods and ring it without adjusting your hands.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nycebo

by nycebo

Sjoerd wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:34 pm
I use a HideMyBell. It's made life a lot easier as a cyclist in The Netherlands.
Same here. I got the one that mounts to my Wilier Alabarda bars and it is awesome. Computer mount on top, light/gopro mount underneath and bell also. A wonderful piece of kit.