Are you using a bell/horn on your road bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JerryLook

by JerryLook

I’ve been wanting to get a bell too. I was looking at the RockBros bells, which I believe are just a Spurcycle copy. Not sure how they sound though.

On my route I come up to a lot of dog walkers, and flicking my brake handles only works sometimes. A lot of times the dog hears me but the person doesn’t. Lol.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

dolophonic

by dolophonic

I use one .. spur cycle i think.. its very useful.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zinedrei

by zinedrei

i use a clip on style and placed it on the hood
bell is mandatory here in HK so need to have one

Js2

by Js2

Started using one a few months back, super useful. The spurcycle is pricy but it rings pretty damn loud, very good on the road.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

+1 for the Crane E Ne in stealth black. It's loud enough that on occassion when I ding people who are ~50 meters away, they jump out to the side as if I'm right behind them.

Sure it adds a few grams and adds a bit of clutter to my tidy integrated cockpit, but the practicality of the bell is definitely worth it and the reactions are much more agreeable.

I really wanted the all black Spur cycle bell, but I wasn't ready to spend 50EU. The Crane is just as effective and costs half the price.
Crane-E-NE-Glocke-All-Stealth-Schwarz-UDS-C0042_b_0.jpg

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

JerryLook wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:43 am
I’ve been wanting to get a bell too. I was looking at the RockBros bells, which I believe are just a Spurcycle copy. Not sure how they sound though.
For the money the RockBros is decent. The sound is not as loud nor as pure as the Spurcycle though, and they are clearly manufactured to much looser tolerances. There is somehting strange going on with the actuator arm on one of mine which sometimes leads to very muted sound when striking.

The Knog Oi Luxe certainly looks much better than their first attempt with the plastic actuator. Those were trash and I gave mine away immediately after trying my Kickstarter versions like once.

One advantage of the Spurcycle/Rockbros design is that you can make them fit around non-round aerofoil bars.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

My bike with Knog Oi
IMG_20190812_162706245.jpg
IMG_20190812_162652781.jpg
IMG_20190812_162648100.jpg

Sin2000

by Sin2000

Lion Bells are my choice for off road, paths and commuting. Wonderful tone and loud too. Beautiful quality and Made in England.

http://www.lionbellworks.co.uk/

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Spur Cycle bell for me too. They don’t look half bad and have the best “ring” that resonates pleasantly for a long time as opposed to a dull ding that decays almost instantly. I think walkers or other cyclists etc are much less offended by the pleasant “dingggg...” from far back than a bunch of annoying “On Your Left!” yells from cyclists.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

JerryLook

by JerryLook

MayhemSWE wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:46 am
JerryLook wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:43 am
For the money the RockBros is decent. The sound is not as loud nor as pure as the Spurcycle though, and they are clearly manufactured to much looser tolerances. There is somehting strange going on with the actuator arm on one of mine which sometimes leads to very muted sound when striking.

The Knog Oi Luxe certainly looks much better than their first attempt with the plastic actuator. Those were trash and I gave mine away immediately after trying my Kickstarter versions like once.

One advantage of the Spurcycle/Rockbros design is that you can make them fit around non-round aerofoil bars.
Hey thanks for the review. For 9$ I might try one out. If I run into the same issues you did I’ll probably pony up and get the Spurcycle.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Though i have one and should need it, i just can't!
It doesn't "ring my bell",... so to speak!

Usually i'm so pissed off at idiots not looking or taking up both lanes, so i just let the freehub sound do it, or i swosh at the side of them.
If they get pissed or scared, maybe they learn they aren't owning the lanes and/ or even better, they might learn to look.

Too many are absorbed by their freakin' smart phones and that's really not my problem.
Just maybe, this is when disc brakes makes sense :mrgreen:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Tango

by Tango

I've installed mine on the bottom side of the saddle using zip ties to keep the clean look

Multebear

by Multebear

Calnago wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:12 pm
Spur Cycle bell for me too. They don’t look half bad and have the best “ring” that resonates pleasantly for a long time as opposed to a dull ding that decays almost instantly. I think walkers or other cyclists etc are much less offended by the pleasant “dingggg...” from far back than a bunch of annoying “On Your Left!” yells from cyclists.
Pleasantly? Decays almost instantly? You're going at this totally wrong :lol: It needs to be terrifying not pleasant. And fast decay means you you have an excuse to hit it again and again.

When on a bikelain and people ride in pairs and thus taking up all the space, they need to be reminded to move away asap.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Lol... perhaps this should be your horn of choice...

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/elec ... QoQAvD_BwE
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

none

by none

Spring-loaded, trigger action "Incredibell", best ring that I know of.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com