SRAM Force Etap AXS - Chain Dropping

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SlowMark

by SlowMark

At the beginning of July my new bike was delivered, a Canyon Ultimate with SRAM Force Etap AXS. Since I have had the bike it has suffered from 'chain drop' when shifting to the smaller chainring. This usually happens when the gear selected is in the middle of the cassette. It tends to happen about once every 100Km and I have no idea what causes it.

The worst time it happened the chain bent which caused ghost shifting at the rear. I took it to a bike shop and the mechanic fitted a new chain and checked everything over (front & rear deraillieur, alignment limit screws and rear deraillieur hanger). The issue cannot be replicated in a workstand. :noidea:

Today was the first ride using the new chain and after about 30Km the chain dropped again. For the remainder of the ride I I tried to provoke it into dropping but It behaved no matter what I did. I am now incredibly disappointed with my new bike - my older road bike had SRAM Force 10 speed and has never suffered from this problem.

Does anyone have SRAM AXS? IF so have you had any issues with 'chain drop?'. Can this issue be fixed ior is it a design flaw with the SRAM AXS system?

Any suggestions on how to fix theis problem would be greatly appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

I'm not all that happy with the front shifting on my axs bike but my problem is going to the big ring. It misses sometimes the ramps and then cluncks along for a crank or 2.

I would fit a chain catcher and it's probably more of a setup issue. Even half a turn of the limit screw might fix it or the angle could be slightly off.

Watch the sram videos. They are very helpful.

GL
Ride fast Take chances

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

I also had chain drops which appeared totally random as they happened mostly in the center of the cassette. Check the angle/rotation of the front derailleur and make sure the marks align perfectly with the large chainring, seems there is absolutely no margin for error whatsoever there… Some tiny adjustments later and no more drops!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Sounds like this system is going to be very sensitive to wear.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

SlowMark wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:40 pm
At the beginning of July my new bike was delivered, a Canyon Ultimate with SRAM Force Etap AXS. Since I have had the bike it has suffered from 'chain drop' when shifting to the smaller chainring. This usually happens when the gear selected is in the middle of the cassette. It tends to happen about once every 100Km and I have no idea what causes it.

The worst time it happened the chain bent which caused ghost shifting at the rear. I took it to a bike shop and the mechanic fitted a new chain and checked everything over (front & rear deraillieur, alignment limit screws and rear deraillieur hanger). The issue cannot be replicated in a workstand. :noidea:

Today was the first ride using the new chain and after about 30Km the chain dropped again. For the remainder of the ride I I tried to provoke it into dropping but It behaved no matter what I did. I am now incredibly disappointed with my new bike - my older road bike had SRAM Force 10 speed and has never suffered from this problem.

Does anyone have SRAM AXS? IF so have you had any issues with 'chain drop?'. Can this issue be fixed ior is it a design flaw with the SRAM AXS system?

Any suggestions on how to fix theis problem would be greatly appreciated.
IF it's anything like Etap, then it's picky with the FD adjustment.
Do you have that wedge mounted at the back of the FD?

Worst with chain jump on the inside is that the frame can be damaged. Check the angle of the FD and the adjustment of the FD.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Henryexige

by Henryexige

I have Sram red axs and the chain also drop randomly from big chainring to small. Installed a chain catcher and the problem is gone. Give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

SRAM should have stick to 1X, their front shifting was always terrible compared to Shimano, last decent one was the Red 22 YAW then it went down hill again with etap and now AXS

SlowMark

by SlowMark

Thanks for the replys, I'll take the bike to a local mechanic and get the setup checked and also ask him to fit a chain catcher. I have a spare SRAM chain catcger - hopefully that will correct the issue.

rendered

by rendered

So from what I see, best to stay away from Sram Etap AXS? And most other electronic groupsets?

Shimano Di2 seems to be a popular choice...

Jugi

by Jugi

SlowMark wrote: have a spare SRAM chain catcger - hopefully that will correct the issue.
That will remedy a random inside chain drop.

Like many others, I'm thinking it's most likely a setup issue. Do you have any FD cage noise in either big/big or small/2nd smallest? If I was your mechanic, I would first check FD alignment and make the FD position and limit screws so tight, shifts don't hesitate to happen but there is very minor FD cage noise on extreme chain lines.

zinedrei

by zinedrei

no issues on my Force etap.
not much miles (~200km) on it but no problems until today (hopefully it stays that way)

SlowMark

by SlowMark

The bike mechanic adjusted teh setup and I got him to fit a SRAM chain catcher as a good measure - first ride there were no issues so hopefully t is sorted.

JBeauBikes2

by JBeauBikes2

I have had this exact problem. I’ve even had my chain drop to the outside of the big ring when shifting from little to big as well, but the dropping is much more common from big to little. I’m not the only person who has this issue I know of either, a buddy of mine works at Zipp HQ in Indianapolis and it happens to him with Red AXS.

I’d like to add, I’ve had the FD adjusted in my LBS three different times and it’s set-up just the way Sram says it’s should be. There’s definitely a flaw in the product.

It’s certainly frustrating, I’ll probably make the switch back to Shimano. If I didn’t race, I wouldn’t care as much because I can make the shifts happen just by slowing watching to make sure it catches onto the chainring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PeteC

by PeteC

I have a Force AXS and suffer chain drop mainly with the big ring, but occasionally with the small. I notice that the front derailleur pushes the chain past the centre of the ring and then returns slightly but this excessive throw can frequently push the chain off. The limit screw is set as close as possible.
I cannot see how this can be fixed. I'm now trying sequential shifting and alowing the system to change the front derailleur and see if that makes a difference. I've completed 2000 miles overall but only 100 with sequential.