Which are the Grippiest Tyres?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Just looking to delve into the well of experience of knowledge that is on here!

I'm looking for the grippiest tyre (or tire!) I can find. My days of being 1st UP the hill are drawing to a close, but I'd still like to be the 1st DOWN the hill for a while....

I enjoy descending and corner quite hard, so I'm looking for the best compound / grip I can find.

I use tubs, but I would imagine the rubber compounds don't change between clinchers and tubs for the same make.

I mostly used Vittoria CX Isogrip, but have also tried Continental Competition and Corsa G+. It's hard to tell much of a difference, but I think maybe the Contis just pipped it.

These are all in 25mm. And I don't ride in the wet, 99% of the time, so just interested in dry grip.

Does any tyre stand out for it's grip?

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

The Corsa Control's grip extremely well as do the standard Corsa's. Can only speak for version 1 though, although I'm assuming version 2 are better. Plenty of grip with Veloflex Masters/Corsa's too. Going by my experience, cotton sidewall tyres seem superior in grip to vulcanised, but maybe that's just because most cotton sidewall tyres are at the top end of the market anyway. Saying that, I've never had issues with Michelin Pro4 Endurance or Schwalbe One's either. I DID think Vittoria Rubino Pro's were slippery old dogs compared though.

Edit - just saw you use tubs. I'd imagine the Vittoria and Veloflex compounds are the same either way.

by Weenie

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

People rave about the grip of the new corsa, but I found them slightly heavier and slower than the 1.0. They feel good on the road but I didnt do hills yet to comment on the descending feel.

Miller

by Miller

If you really want grip, you need to go wider with lower pressure.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

My 28 corsa 2.0 are only 26.5, same as a nominal 25 clincher. For wide I guess look at something like hell of the North, maybe they are truer to size and very likely lighter too.

Speedman

by Speedman

Your question interest me but I search the grippiest tyres for rainy weather and wet road ? If someone have a complementary opinion about that...

c60rider

by c60rider

Personally I really struggle to feel much of a difference in grip terms between all the tyres I use on my different bikes. I have one with Veloflex Master 25 (but with latex tubes), another with GP4000 and the other with Corsa G (both with butyl), not going to include my winter bike here as I'm on heavier duty tyres. I pump them all up to the same pressure and the only major difference I notice is ride feel and tyre noise on the road. The choice of tyre for me was more about the colour and how it looked with the wheels I was using and the bike it was on and how it was all going to match! They're all top end tyres from each of the manufacturers so I expect differences are anecdotal. Much like rolling resistance very hard to measure with so many variables that can have an effect.

JerryLook

by JerryLook

If you’re on 25mm tubs maybe try out the new Veloflex Service Course.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
6.05kg

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Miller wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:46 am
If you really want grip, you need to go wider with lower pressure.
This

JerryLook

by JerryLook

I don’t think the pros run any wider than 25mm tubulars. I don’t think there is an advantage to running wider or else they would be doing it.

Edit: except at races like PR where they need more comfort from the cobbles. I think those are 27mm.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
6.05kg

asiantrick

by asiantrick

Veloflex Corsa. This thing just stick on the road, especially down hill.

kgt

by kgt

IME good open tubulars (non vulcanized clinchers that is) are in general more grippy.

kma556

by kma556

Speedman wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:56 pm
Your question interest me but I search the grippiest tyres for rainy weather and wet road ? If someone have a complementary opinion about that...
I found Michelin Power All Season in 28mm to be very grippy in all weather conditions. Rolling resistance is not good but I was more concerned about being able to ride in any conditions with confidence on the commute during the winter.

guyc

by guyc

Turbo Cottons should also be on the list.

by Weenie

Speedman

by Speedman

kma556 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:46 pm
I found Michelin Power All Season in 28mm to be very grippy in all weather conditions. Rolling resistance is not good but I was more concerned about being able to ride in any conditions with confidence on the commute during the winter.
The RR don't matter to me, my idea is creating a specific wheels pair for the race where the road are wet or the weather is rainy.