Specalized Allez 2018 - Headset Dust Cover

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

djnzt48

by djnzt48

Hi everyone! First posting here.

I have a Specialized Allez 2018 that I am trying to lower the bars even further and the provided headset dust cover is about 2cm tall (the cone thing that sits below the stem).

I got in touch with my LBS and they gave me a shorter one but it doesn't sit flush with the headtube.

Do you guys know if the slamthatstem dust cover will work with my bike? Or can I live without this dust cover?

Here's a photo of the covers. The one I'm holding came with the bike -

And here's my bike. Already on a -17 stem -

Thanks in advance!
Specialized Allez Sprint 2020

AnkitS

by AnkitS

deleted.
Last edited by AnkitS on Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marcelflash

by marcelflash

The slam that stem bearing cover will also not sit flush. The lowest I could find and fit perfect was the Ceramic Speed cover for the Tarmac. I went with the slam that stem cover anyway and grease the headset regularly.

djnzt48

by djnzt48

marcelflash wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:11 am
The slam that stem bearing cover will also not sit flush. The lowest I could find and fit perfect was the Ceramic Speed cover for the Tarmac. I went with the slam that stem cover anyway and grease the headset regularly.
Thanks for the reply @marcelflash

Do you mean this one on the left?

marcelflash

by marcelflash

Yes that is the one I had on my Tarmac and is a little bit hollower than the slam that stem and should fit a Allez too

djnzt48

by djnzt48

marcelflash wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:48 am
Yes that is the one I had on my Tarmac and is a little bit hollower than the slam that stem and should fit a Allez too
Cools. Thanks again!

silvalis

by silvalis

Looks like it’s a is42 cover and you’ve been trying to fit is41 covers on it
Chasse patate

djnzt48

by djnzt48

Hey @marcelflash Can I trouble you to take a photo of your Allez headset setup? Curious how the slamthatstem will look like. Thank you in advance

marcelflash

by marcelflash

20190203_115711.jpg
It is a Tarmac but should look the same. They use the same headset.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

The expanding collet on which the dust cover sits ... well they vary in height too.

djnzt48

by djnzt48

marcelflash wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:32 am
20190203_115711.jpg
Thanks man! Are you using the original Specialized expander plug with this setup?

djnzt48

by djnzt48

marcelflash wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:32 am
20190203_115711.jpg
Thanks man! Are you using the original Specialized expander plug with this setup?

marcelflash

by marcelflash

EE-Nut from Cane creek but have some slipping issues with the 3T ARX II stem, it uses one big bolt and after hitting several pod holes I get play on the heatset. Would like to go back to the old ARX stem with 2 bolts.

zhangd116

by zhangd116

We almost have the exact same bike :)
I got this from eBay that seem to work quite well except the upper OD is a bit too small compare to the spacer, but I figure I might move that spacer on top of the stem sometime soon so I not too concerned. Plus it is not that obvious unless you know what to look for...

Here's the link to that shop, I believe only the 8mm and 20mm version fit the Allez (48mm OD): https://ebay.us/SJKVzL

BTW I also have a Cane Creek ZS44 top cap and it leaves a huge gap between the headtube and the cap. It's kind of sad since it has the perfect upper and bottom OD.
L3IzyAGpTGO%yArDe+MWcg.jpg

djnzt48

by djnzt48

marcelflash wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:05 pm
EE-Nut from Cane creek but have some slipping issues with the 3T ARX II stem, it uses one big bolt and after hitting several pod holes I get play on the heatset. Would like to go back to the old ARX stem with 2 bolts.
Cools. Thanks for your help man. Reason asking is that I'm having trouble using the original Specialized expander plug after I trimmed my steerer. The plug wouldn't go all in :?
zhangd116 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:23 am
We almost have the exact same bike :)
I got this from eBay that seem to work quite well except the upper OD is a bit too small compare to the spacer, but I figure I might move that spacer on top of the stem sometime soon so I not too concerned. Plus it is not that obvious unless you know what to look for...

Here's the link to that shop, I believe only the 8mm and 20mm version fit the Allez (48mm OD): https://ebay.us/SJKVzL

BTW I also have a Cane Creek ZS44 top cap and it leaves a huge gap between the headtube and the cap. It's kind of sad since it has the perfect upper and bottom OD.
L3IzyAGpTGO%yArDe+MWcg.jpg
Thanks buddy. Nice colorway you got there. The cap on my bike currently is a 10mm but I'm trying to go lower. So my best bet is the slamthatstem dust cover.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com