Specialized Mirror 3D-printed saddles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

kode54 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:35 pm
wolflikeme wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:37 pm
~100 miles with the saddle and its been great. Coming from a Power Elaston/Pro Stealth, the Mirror is more comfortable. Feels like it keeps me in place better, also feels like you sink into the saddle a bit. As others have mentioned, it really feels like a "set it and forget it" experience.
I ordered one almost 2 months ago. Got a shipping date and it was shipped. Then just last week, I got an email saying that they're out of stock. Really?
Oh well...I guess I'll have to wait to check out the Mirror saddle. Who knows when they will be replenishing stock.
Inventory for everything is pretty awful right now, I was very fortunate to get the saddle when I did.

Sworks Tarmac SL8 - 7.09kg
LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I am recovering from a hamstring injury (high Hamstring Tendinopathy).
When I am sitting on a saddle it applies pressure directly to area that is injured.
I am currently using a MELD saddle and not sure if it will work out or not, I can tolerate it but still feel some pain.
Would this mirror saddle help to releive pressure in that area while not sinking in so much that it rubs against other areas?
I tried a really soft saddle and it did not work because of sinking in and lack of support.
I think I need to be primarily on my sit bones but somehow releive some of the pressure points.

Thanks

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

DeLuz wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:38 pm
I am recovering from a hamstring injury (high Hamstring Tendinopathy).
When I am sitting on a saddle it applies pressure directly to area that is injured.
I am currently using a MELD saddle and not sure if it will work out or not, I can tolerate it but still feel some pain.
Would this mirror saddle help to releive pressure in that area while not sinking in so much that it rubs against other areas?
I tried a really soft saddle and it did not work because of sinking in and lack of support.
I think I need to be primarily on my sit bones but somehow releive some of the pressure points.

Thanks
Difficult to answer but the saddle compresses a bit but remains stable, sort of like a hammock. I find that I'm sitting slightly more on my sit bones vs on the nose with the Power Elaston I was using before. I would recommend testing the saddle with your LBS when they become more available since it carries a hefty price tag.

LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Expensive they are, but still not as these....
c1soft.jpg
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wilwil

by wilwil

I got one from Lord Gun in Italy. Its probably the most comfortable saddle I've tried but not quite the revelation I was hoping for. I was using a Prologo dimension which was pretty good too. A lot of money but maybe the most important component on the bike.

sychen

by sychen

DeLuz wrote:I am recovering from a hamstring injury (high Hamstring Tendinopathy).

Thanks
Is yours where the hamstring joins the ischial tuberosity? I had that issue caused by Power saddles. It was getting crushed and irritated by the hard "wings".

Move to more flexible winged saddle like Selle Italia Sp01 and Berk Lupina. Issue went away.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

aosjimzaw

by aosjimzaw

Impulsively bought one after keeping close eye on Fizik 3d line. Minutes after I told myself "gosh, have I really spent 399€ on a saddle?..." Then I realized I was actually looking to spend the same money (10€ less) for the Fizik one, and this tranquilized me.

Reasons why I went Specialized over Fizik (I come from Fizik Arione 00)
--Fizik keeps naggering me with a couple of hot spots. Since 3d is the same shape of previous gen, I don't want to risk that to happen again and will rather try out a completely different saddle shape with a positive feeling this might go away. As someone wrote above, my reign for a day-long comfortable saddle.
--contacted Fizik asking why on Earth they're not offering their top saddle in black, while lower models are. They answered "maybe in the future". Now someone said on the Fizik 3d thread that Fizik is having everyone go lower model black to avoid the puke green THEN have them buy again top model in black. I think that someone is right, and I don't want to stand by such a pristine display of marketing evilness.
--I'm on my second Arione saddle, first one changed under warranty as 2 cm of foam in the right front detatched/broke/unglued from the rest of the foam body. Two weeks ago it happened again in that same spot. Now the gummy, fragmented material will likely be not as prone to detatching/breaking/unglueing as the one-piece foam, but I prefer keeping to two evidences and avoid the third rather than sentencing a case of design flaw there.

Will bring it to my bike shop by the weekend to have it mounted and report back my impressions

DeLuz

by DeLuz

sychen wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:04 am
DeLuz wrote:I am recovering from a hamstring injury (high Hamstring Tendinopathy).

Thanks
Is yours where the hamstring joins the ischial tuberosity? I had that issue caused by Power saddles. It was getting crushed and irritated by the hard "wings".

Move to more flexible winged saddle like Selle Italia Sp01 and Berk Lupina. Issue went away.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Yes it is in that general area.
I don't think it was caused by the saddle (Selle SMP), it is an actual injury which may have been caused by being deconditioned (off the bike for > 1 year) and weight loss due to stomach problems. The MELD saddle has pretty flexible wings and is still working ok for me.

Paperboy

by Paperboy

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this saddle, but I have a couple questions before I do. Hopefully some of you early adoptees can help.

Does the saddle material create any more friction than a regular [power] saddle would? The seat takes on the shape of the Power curve, right? How does this seat compare with the sworks power? I currently ride the sworks power and have zero complaints. I only ride a max of 1.5-2hrs at a time, but I'm looking into doing longer 4-5hr rides. Will this power mirror seat be more comfortable on longer rides? Would you bother to "upgrade"?
Last edited by Paperboy on Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Paperboy wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:52 pm
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this saddle, but I have a couple questions before I do. Hopefully some of you early adoptees can help.

Does the saddle material create any more friction than a regular [power] saddle would? The seat takes on the shape of the Power curve, right? How does this seat compare with the sworks power? I currently ride the sworks power and have zero complaints. I only ride a max of 1.5-2hrs at a time, but I'm looking ibut o doing longer 4-5hr rides. Will this power mirror seat be more comfortable on longer rides? Would you bother to "upgrade"?
No friction whatsoever, less than regular saddle material in fact.

More comfortable for me and not even close. Everyone is different, but I would be quite confident in saying you would prefer the feel on longer rides.

It's the best performance orientated dampening saddle I have ever ridden. Kills so much road buzz and in the South of England, that is a big deal!!

Only issue I have found, is that it puts more strain on my neck and back muscle than my romin evo (on same bike with same bar position). This is likely user specific though and would probably not be relevant for someone else.

It really is a good saddle. I have not touched it since day one. Doing 180-200 miles a week including 1x 80+ miler a week. Had it for 5/6 weeks now, so plenty of time logged on all types of roads.

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

Paperboy wrote:
I currently ride the sworks power and have zero complaints. (...) Would you bother to "upgrade"?
If you have zero complaints, I would not bother to upgrade. Once you've found a saddle that works, stick to it.

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

Paperboy wrote:

Does the saddle material create any more friction than a regular [power] saddle would? The seat takes on the shape of the Power curve, right? How does this seat compare with the sworks power? I currently ride the sworks power and have zero complaints. I only ride a max of 1.5-2hrs at a time, but I'm looking ibut o doing longer 4-5hr rides. Will this power mirror seat be more comfortable on longer rides? Would you bother to "upgrade"?
~300 miles on mine now. No addition friction vs the Power which it's shaped after. I was also on a Power (Elaston) saddle which didn't give me any issues but the Mirror is noticeably more comfortable. The saddle is undoubtedly expensive so if you don't have a reason to upgrade then I wouldn't mess with your current setup.

Paperboy

by Paperboy

Torbjorn wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:15 pm
Paperboy wrote:
I currently ride the sworks power and have zero complaints. (...) Would you bother to "upgrade"?
If you have zero complaints, I would not bother to upgrade. Once you've found a saddle that works, stick to it.
The grass is usually greener on the other side. Maxims aside, I found someone selling one for a bill off retail. I figure I'll give it a go and if it doesn't do anything special for my bum, then I'll sell it and not take any loss.

Nooga

by Nooga

I'd love to try one. Some of the problems they describe as being fixed with this, just as better pressure distribution on the ischial tuberosities, I definitely struggle with on 5-6hr rides, and especially after multiple days in quick succession.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Paperboy

by Paperboy

Paperboy wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:34 am
Torbjorn wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:15 pm
Paperboy wrote:
The grass is usually greener on the other side. Maxims aside, I found someone selling one for a bill off retail. I figure I'll give it a go and if it doesn't do anything special for my bum, then I'll sell it and not sustain a loss.