Sunday Mystery: where did this grommet come from?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Not really a weight weenie concern, but thought I'd tap into the forum's vast collective wisdom.

Was just rinsing off a bike and this fell off. It is flexible rubber. Fingers shown for scale. It is split, but I suspect it wasn't supposed to be (and why it fell off something). I was thinking that it might have been sealing housing somewhere, but I don't remember doing that when I put the bike together.

Any ideas?

The bike is a Cinelli Nemo Tig
  • Dura Ace 9100
    Reynolds wheels
    Zipp cockpit / post
Last edited by GothicCastle on Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Might just be a damping o-ring placed between a bottle cage and its bosses.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You don’t have newish Campy wheels by chance do you? They use those o-rings in the little valve nuts that screw on to their valve extenders. They fit into a little groove of the nut but they don’t come already installed in that groove. I’ve seen some wheels where the person didn’t know where they were supposed to go and just placed them between the nut and the rim itself. If yours was like that I could easily see it breaking and falling off. If so, you’ve possibly got a valve extender that may be clanging against the rim. I’ve also seen them used around brake housings or derailleur housings just to help keep the entire housing from rubbing on the paint. Does the same thing as the rubber “bumpers” that you used to fit on derailleur/brake cables that weren’t enclosed in housing as they were externally routed between stops on the frame. Or, it could be from something completely different but without seeing your bike those would be my two first guesses.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LouisN

by LouisN

Did you put air with a Co2 cartridge "head" ?
They sometimes "blow" this litlle gasket out and it lands around the valve.

Louis :)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Or if he were running tubeless, sometimes there's an o-ring under the valve nut

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:21 pm
Or if he were running tubeless, sometimes there's an o-ring under the valve nut

this gets my vote if tubeless
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

These are all excellent guesses.

I had thought about a bottle cage nut, as well. This bike has supacaz fly cages on it, but I don't remember a grommit coming with them or the stock Cinelli bolts.

The bike isn't tubeless; GP 4000's with latex tubes (no extenders). The wheels are older Reynolds Assaults. I do have the Silca Speed Shields on these wheels; maybe it was on one of these.

It is entirely possible that it was on the valve and that I didn't notice it.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Running Shimano? Check your brake adjuster nuts. They use o-rings to keep the nuts from falling out when there’s no cable attached.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Alex2012

by Alex2012

Running EE Brakes?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

GothicCastle wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:23 am
These are all excellent guesses.

I had thought about a bottle cage nut, as well. This bike has supacaz fly cages on it, but I don't remember a grommit coming with them or the stock Cinelli bolts.

The bike isn't tubeless; GP 4000's with latex tubes (no extenders). The wheels are older Reynolds Assaults. I do have the Silca Speed Shields on these wheels; maybe it was on one of these.

It is entirely possible that it was on the valve and that I didn't notice it.
did you buy just the shields or the kit... because that is designed with tubeless in mind.. so you might not use the valves... but didn't notice the oring was still in there.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Calnago wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:27 am
Running Shimano? Check your brake adjuster nuts. They use o-rings to keep the nuts from falling out when there’s no cable attached.
Yes, 9100 brakes. This is a good possibility.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:50 am
did you buy just the shields or the kit... because that is designed with tubeless in mind.. so you might not use the valves... but didn't notice the oring was still in there.
Just the shields. I'm not confident in these rims running tubeless.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

what pedals?

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Speedplay zero pedals. The dust caps look intact.

LouisN

by LouisN

Maybe your bike's cheating on you....

LOuis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com