Alternative to Canyon Ultimate Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

IceLed

by IceLed

Having the bikes from the signature, I can attest on the following (all bikes mentioned are disc brake version):
- Ultimate CF SL > Endurace - indeed, pushing against the wind was a tangible difference in favor of Ultimate
- Aeroad CF SLX > Ultimate CF SL - not as eye opener as when I changed from Endurace to Ultimate, but definitely better in the wind. Biggest benefit were the deep section wheels, sailing effect etc. Also stiffer frame, but hey, unfair comparison as it is SLX vs SL....
- S-Works Venge 2019 >>>> Aeroad SLX (2019)... I can spend hours talking about it, but there we have completely different levels of stiffness and vertical compliance.
Yes, it is more expensive, so again unfair comparison, but you could get the frame only and build it the way you like with components that you can afford at the moment. There are plenty of discounts for the models of 2019 at the moment.
I have no experience with Tarmac, so can't say too much about it.
Disclaimer, before anyone jumps: all of those comparisons are MY PERSONAL feelings, occasionally backed up by Strava PRs, using the same routes and producing the same power (based on Favero Duo).
S-Works Venge 2019 Battleship
Previous bikes:
Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc 2019
Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc
Canyon Endurace AL
Cube Agree C:62
Cube Peloton

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cattie

by Cattie

IceLed wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:17 pm
Having the bikes from the signature, I can attest on the following (all bikes mentioned are disc brake version):
- Ultimate CF SL > Endurace - indeed, pushing against the wind was a tangible difference in favor of Ultimate
- Aeroad CF SLX > Ultimate CF SL - not as eye opener as when I changed from Endurace to Ultimate, but definitely better in the wind. Biggest benefit were the deep section wheels, sailing effect etc. Also stiffer frame, but hey, unfair comparison as it is SLX vs SL....
- S-Works Venge 2019 >>>> Aeroad SLX (2019)... I can spend hours talking about it, but there we have completely different levels of stiffness and vertical compliance.
Yes, it is more expensive, so again unfair comparison, but you could get the frame only and build it the way you like with components that you can afford at the moment. There are plenty of discounts for the models of 2019 at the moment.
I have no experience with Tarmac, so can't say too much about it.
Disclaimer, before anyone jumps: all of those comparisons are MY PERSONAL feelings, occasionally backed up by Strava PRs, using the same routes and producing the same power (based on Favero Duo).
Which wheelset do you use on the Ultimate CF SL. Because my CF SL already uses 45 wheels, a change to an Aeroad would not be that mach difference.

robertbb

by robertbb

IceLed wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:17 pm
One of the things that can skew results is the set-up. The aeroad has a more aggressive geometry than the ultimate... was your setup the same in terms of saddle height/setback and bar height, etc?

IceLed

by IceLed

Cattie wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:04 pm
Which wheelset do you use on the Ultimate CF SL. Because my CF SL already uses 45 wheels, a change to an Aeroad would not be that mach difference.
On Ultimate I had DT SWISS PR1400 Dicut, claimed weight 1470 g - very stiff and excellent for climbing. I haven't used aero wheels on it, but I guess you're right - the advantages of Aeroad would diminish... Also the Ultimate was 7,3 kg and Aeroad came at 7.6 kg. Both with UDi2.
I must say unfortunately the version of 2019 of Ultimate comes with way heavier wheelset (DT SWISS P1800), which bumps the weight of the bike to 7.5 kg...
Previous bikes:
Canyon Endurace AL
Cube Peloton

IceLed

by IceLed

robertbb wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:53 am
One of the things that can skew results is the set-up. The aeroad has a more aggressive geometry than the ultimate... was your setup the same in terms of saddle height/setback and bar height, etc?
Yes, spot on... Though in both cases I had my stem fully slammed down, the geometry of the Aeroad was slightly more agressive. Saddle height was exactly the same
Previous bikes:
Canyon Endurace AL
Cube Peloton