2020 Schwalbe Pro One

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
AnkitS

by AnkitS

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:03 pm
I wouldn't even use it in a mass start race because the risk vs reward just doesn't add up in my favor. In a TT where every second counts is where the Corsa Speed or Pro One TT makes sense.
Even then I would choose the 1.3w difference and just take gp5000 tls. Changing a wheel will probably take longer than the difference between a pure TT tire and a gp5000.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:01 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:03 pm
I wouldn't even use it in a mass start race because the risk vs reward just doesn't add up in my favor. In a TT where every second counts is where the Corsa Speed or Pro One TT makes sense.
Even then I would choose the 1.3w difference and just take gp5000 tls. Changing a wheel will probably take longer than the difference between a pure TT tire and a gp5000.

My point was more that in a TT you can gain seconds on your GC opponents or outright win because of rolling resistance. It is worth the gamble. In a mass start race, the rolling resistance will only matter in a few key moments of a stage, such as a sprint finish or an attack on climb.

akafinto

by akafinto

Looks like there's some aero data on the 2020 Pro One here:
https://www.parcours.cc/blogs/news/tyre ... generation

Interesting to see it's the most aero option tested. May have to get hold of some now!

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

akafinto wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:58 pm

Interesting to see it's the most aero option tested. May have to get hold of some now!
I immediately noticed how fast the Pro one’s were at speed compared to the GP5000 TL’s I was running. It felt like I had an extra gear over 20mph. They have a better feel on the road too with rough roads being more muted. They are not as good on bigger bumps though. The Pro one’s are taller and narrower with slightly less air volume in 28.
The GP5000 TL feel faster up to about 10-15mph. They just roll with what feels like no resistance. While both are great tires the edge in grip and ability to make corrections mid corner goes to the Pro one. They inspire more confidence and out right grip seems higher. I’m able to hold a tighter line in 40mph flat out corners.
The best setup might be a GP5000 on the back and a pro one on the front. When I wear out my rear tire I’m going to try out this combo.
Ride fast Take chances

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Alexbn921 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:37 pm
akafinto wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:58 pm

I immediately noticed how fast the Pro one’s were at speed compared to the GP5000 TL’s I was running. It felt like I had an extra gear over 20mph. They have a better feel on the road too with rough roads being more muted. They are not as good on bigger bumps though. The Pro one’s are taller and narrower with slightly less air volume in 28.
The GP5000 TL feel faster up to about 10-15mph. They just roll with what feels like no resistance. While both are great tires the edge in grip and ability to make corrections mid corner goes to the Pro one. They inspire more confidence and out right grip seems higher. I’m able to hold a tighter line in 40mph flat out corners.
The best setup might be a GP5000 on the back and a pro one on the front. When I wear out my rear tire I’m going to try out this combo.
It's the 'souplesse' Schwalbe was using in their marketing spiel! :mrgreen: Sounds good to me, that plus the Schwalbe much lower weight sounds like it will be my next tires... Although I'll be curious about the new Michelin Power Road Tubeless which are claimed to weigh 230gr in size 700x25 while not having the Pro One TT and Corsa Speed fragility and short lifespans...

* Souplesse means suppleness in french by the way.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Anyone compared the Maxxis High Road TR to any of these yet?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

bastosboi

by bastosboi

I just tried to mount two Schwalbe Pro One TTs in a tubeless setup, right after taking them out of the box and barely unfolding them.
But the current freezing temperatures in Germany make the rubber very unflexible and hard to work with, so I was unsuccesful doing it outside.
Tried with soapy water, but this just made my hands freeze.

So I decided to mount the tires on some old alloy, rim brake wheels and inflate a tube to 7 bar to get the tires stretched out a little.

Once I mounted them, I was very disappointed in their appearance.
For being one of the "top-of-the-line" tires they look very cheap, the tan walls do look as fake as they are.
Coloring is applied very imprecisely, and does not properly cover the black underneath.

Not very proud to put this on a high-end roadbike.

I'll give them a try on some lightweight climbing wheels, but with the first non-sealing puncture, they'll be gone...

Weight came in at 225g for 25mm width (not at 205g as claimed per Schwalbe).

IMG_1574.jpeg
IMG_1575.jpeg

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

bastosboi wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:47 pm
...I was very disappointed in their appearance.
For being one of the "top-of-the-line" tires they look very cheap, the tan walls do look as fake as they are.
Coloring is applied very imprecisely, and does not properly cover the black underneath.
Dang! I totally agree with your assessment on aesthetics.

I'm surprised Schwalbe thinks this is "ok."

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My question is how much more are you willing to pay for improved aesthetic finish on the most consumable, abused component on your bicycle? US$5? $10? $20? Improved quality doesn't come free. They'd either need better tooling or to QC fail a lot more completely functional tires.

So we have an ugly fake tanwall tire that is inferior to the Corsa Speed G2.0 in rolling efficiency and tread life. It's okay to forget this tire even exists.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PSM

by PSM

Looks like mustard to me.

ethanspitz

by ethanspitz

refthimos wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:11 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:46 pm
ENVE basically needs to test to see if the Schwalbe Pro One TLE beads stretch over time enough to blow off a hookless rim at rated and over rated pressures. It requires more than one tire as well.
Well if that's the case (that the testing requires significant time), then that certainly explains things. I haven't heard any details regarding their testing protocol other than they "do something" and then note whether or not the tire gets blown off their test rim. For "major" tire releases, it would be nice to know that compatibility would be announced "approiximately X-Y weeks after release," where X-Y is the expected range of testing time needed.

I get that the testing takes time, I just have no idea what that is and right now not sure if we are closer to one day or one year to hearing from ENVE.

With that, I agree that it's more likely than not that ENVE will put the Pro One TLEs on the compatible list.

FWIW this morning I mounted the Pro One TLEs on CLX50s and it was crazy easy, both to get the tires on as well as getting them seated. I was thinking this was my new "go-to" tire until the BRR data was released.
How did you do it?!? I just picked up the new Pro One TLEs as well and mounted on my CL50s (same rim, cheaper hub parts). They were easy to get on the rim (no tire lever required), but I can't get them to seat, even with my compressor at 110 PSI! Air just blows out from beneath the bead forever. I tried dry and soapy water. I tried putting a tube in and leaving it for a couple hours to try to shape the tire. Nothing has worked yet. Looking for suggestions.

alanyu

by alanyu

ethanspitz wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:57 pm

...Air just blows out from beneath the bead forever...
Is your tlr tape depressed at the holes? If so, you need new tape, or try one more layer.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

take out the valve core and use a blow gun with rubber tip to presurized the tire fast.
Ride fast Take chances

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

put in tube in for 6-8 hours and you will be good.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I bet his bead isn’t sitting right at the valve stem/bung.