Selle Italia Novus Saddle Angle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

My primary and favourite saddle for now is Selle Italia Carbonio SLR Carbonio Flow.. With this saddle i just put it totaly horizontal angle (just put the long buble level and adjust to be horizontal)

How u adjust saddles like Novus (i have previous model).. Tried like this, but still im now sure that is the right angle.. Masure 1/3 parts of the saddle.. Try to adjust middle 1/3 part to be level... Any other hints or experiences?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Whatever your taint prefers. Neutral to me would be level from the middle of the saddle to just before the nose falls off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Only you know the correct angle for you! Trial and error and you will find it. On modern Selle Italias I need the front portion (as described in the previous post) to be ever so slightly upward pointing - FWIW.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

So true, trial and error is the only way to find your ideal saddle position. The numbers are strictly a means to record, after the fact, the exact position and tilt of that particular saddle. And the only way of being able to consistently repeat that saddle position (with that saddle) is to lay a straight edge across the saddle that covers the rear width and the nose, then place a digital level across it to determine tilt and then whatever means you use to measure fore/aft at the nose, and height. I cut out a t-shaped piece of cutting board for this purpose. I measure height as the distance from dead center of BB to the underside of that straight edge, regardless of how shallow or deep the space between the straight edge and the actual saddle might be. Remember, you’re looking for reference numbers that can be repeatable with that particular saddle. If you’ve got a straight seat tube you can follow as a parallel reference, use that as the line from the BB to the straight edge, as it is repeatable. And then you have the three measurements you need to reset that saddle. But don’t look to numbers to set up a new saddle. Record the numbers after you’ve dialed in your position. With funky saddles like SMP and the like, you may end up with what would appear to be a wildly tilted saddle using a straight edge, yet that is simply due to the saddle design and when seated you essentially feel level. A good indicator is riding no hands and not feeling like you're having to do anything extra to stay seated properly, like use your legs for anything other than pedaling. It doesn't matter if the tilt reads something like -9 degrees if you're seated level, as that number is just a function of the saddle shape and design. Weird saddle shapes are the reason the UCI changed the saddle tilt regulations, to accommodate saddles such as these.
And remember, if you change saddles, bikes, etc., the process starts over. Yes, even though you’re dialed in perfectly on that particular bike with that particular saddle, don’t feel like you’re locked into those numbers if you swap bikes but still use the same saddle, although it will be a very good starting point. It’s possible you may want to change things a bit to account for your overall position on the bike and the different center of gravity that you may have as a result of bikes with different wheelbases, different relative rear centers versus front centers etc. It’s a process.
The setup below is 0.4degrees nose down for example...

This X/Y tool is very helpful for so many things when setting bikes up... as it's got various cones and adaptors for theh different bottom bracket types which allows pinpointing the exact center. And it's great for getting good reads on fore/aft measurements, as well as saddle height etc.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

3Pio

by 3Pio

After riding for few months of Selle Italia Carbonio Novus Flow S (which come in 137mm width), i put spare Carbonio Flow S2 (which is 132mm) totaly leveled.

Seem that Novus Flow is too wide for me, so make me sitting more in the front, and even i found some compromise in term of angle to be rideable (i rode this saddle for 4000 km on CAAD12), i definetely prefer Carbonio Flow (which i also ride on my other bike for about 20000 km and this new one is my third Carbonio Flow)

BTW, i just checked few online retailers and seem that they dont have on stock Carbonio Flow in S2, and if they have price is much higher then i used to buy it...

Is it discontinued and replaced with some new model?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hlvd

by hlvd

A digital level although very accurate, is only correct if the floor/ground is also level.

If you want your saddle perfectly horizontal to the ground, put a long straight edge along the saddle so it protrudes past the bars and rear wheel.
Measure each end down to the ground and when it's the same it's horizontal.

If you require the front part to be horizontal, place a piece of 3/4" MDF or something similar on that part of the saddle so it allows the straight edge to clear the saddle's raised tail and then measure down from each end.

If you are using a digital level, put it on the floor first and zero it, otherwise floor and saddle might be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk