Which Time To Choose

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

Without a lot of fanfare it appears that Time has stopped making the Scylon and Fluidity series of frames/bikes. They are now only offering the Alpe d'Huez in the 01.x series and the 21.x series.

I can't make up my mind between a Scylon and an Alpe myself. While the Aktiv fork is nice, it's not a necessity. Both come with a disc brake option and thus room for bigger tires. The Alpe is lighter, the Scylon more aero, though not crazy aero. I'm not positive, but I believe the Alpe is more expensive as it's the newer and "current" model. I haven't seen too many Scylons in the US with a regular disc fork and very few Alpe of the same variety. And I'm not seeing discounts as big as I'd expect on the Scylon for a bike that is now out of production.

So that begs the question -- if you were so inclined to purchase a Time, which one would you purchase and why? Would you purchase what is now essentially an NOS bike/frame in the Scylon or Fluidity? Would you get one of the Alpes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

Yes, very familiar with Contender. But all of their disc offerings in the Scylon and Alpe are with Aktiv forks, which I really don't care for all that much. I'd like a traditional fork, just with disc brakes. If Contender had some non-Aktiv disc fork versions of either frame I'd be very tempted as some of those deals are very good otherwise.

Bellati Sport has a selection of both Scylon and Alpe frames. But I'm still curious as to what people think about getting a frame which is discontinued (Scylon) versus the latest and greatest (Alpe) and their reasons for either choice. The Scylon isn't exactly "old" as they've just recently discontinued it (it was still on the website as of 6 weeks ago).

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Not sure, but maybe to some help if you haven't noticed this thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=154054
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

kgt

by kgt

I had/have both and the TIME AdH is a better all-round frame. It is considerably more comfortable and lighter than the Scylon, while the Scylon is more aero and it feels just a bit stiffer overall (bb stiffness is the same).
The aktiv fork is heavy but it works. You will mainly appreciate it when going fast downhill. The way it eliminates the high frequency buzz is awesome. Not that you need an aktiv fork, of course. The standard fork is vey good and comfortable with the use of vectran fibers etc.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

The Skylon is still showing on the US website. Where does it say Time stopped making it?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

The info on Time stopping production of the Fluidity and Skylon is from a Facebook chat I had with Time where I asked about them disappearing from their international English website and the removal of their online custom configurator page.

Time still has a US only website? What's the link because the old timesportusa.com URL transfers to their international English site and that shows only the Alpe.
TimeSkylonFluidity.png
TimeSkylonFluidity.png (8.65 KiB) Viewed 3210 times

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

KGT - thanks for the info. I'm coming from a Fluidity and have always appreciated the additional Vectran in the frame as I can never recall feeling beat up after any ride on it, regardless of how crap the roads have been.

I have read about the Skylon being stiff, but never knew how it compared as it still has Vectran in its layup as well. Obviously not as much as the Fluidity, but it is interesting to hear the Alpe has the characteristics it does.

AJS914

by AJS914

How wide of a tire can one fit on a rim brake Alpe d'Huez? In one description I read "up to 28mm tires". Is that a 28mm tire that stretched to 30mm? Or a 25mm tire that stretched to 28mm actual?

JKolmo

by JKolmo

That would be 28mm actual width. Anything wider would be quite tight IMO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DEADRE

by DEADRE

EvilEuro wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:44 am
But I'm still curious as to what people think about getting a frame which is discontinued (Scylon) versus the latest and greatest (Alpe) and their reasons for either choice. The Scylon isn't exactly "old" as they've just recently discontinued it (it was still on the website as of 6 weeks ago).
I would not get neither of those TIME frames models (says the guy who owns an ALPE), if it was possible to take a peek into the future & knowing that a brand new VXRS was to come about, I would have not purchased an AX Lightness Vial Evo Ultra or an ALPE.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... fit=bounds

During the course of those 4 years of riding a 2004 VXRS, the 1st Pinarello Dogma carbon was coming into the market & decided to order it as a back up bike. Waited 3 months & it finally arrived, looked at it, found out it was made in China & 2 days later put it up in the auction block. Even though the Pinarello Dogma was modern & was so desired during that time of it’s release, it did nothing for me, even when out & about I would see the current high end bikes all deck out, did not care for it.
I was really content of that VXRS model, there was something about it, it definitely rides differently since it has an integrated seatpost, the matt finish & the handling was amazing.
It all ended when a car cut in front of me & I wondered what brand / model will ever be it’s equal!

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ ... CN0042.jpg

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ ... cf5533.jpg

From that point on, I rode other brand of bikes, while in searched for a brand new VXRS, even after buying a brand new VXRS, I’m still looking, just in case (I must be sick). Point being, the VXRS is not the current, but rather a decade & a half ago discontinued model. One thing I know, if you ever find THE BIKE, regardless of it’s age you will try to seek it out & whatever is the latest model, will not matter.

By the way, if you guys do run into a brand new VXRS, send it my way!