Lynskey R480 initial impressions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Berzin1

by Berzin1

After a couple of hundred miles I feel strongly enough to post some initial thoughts on this frame.

robeambro wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:45 pm
One day I’ll read a post of somebody who’s recently bought an expensive bike and complains about its ride quality / stiffness / etc.

Not to doubt the OP’s experience, but such an unsolicited opinion screams “I need to validate my expense” to me.
On the other hand, I can always just delete it.
Last edited by Berzin1 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berzin1

by Berzin1

N/A.
Last edited by Berzin1 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ravnsnaes

by Ravnsnaes

I've owned several Lynskey's. A 2009 Helix, a 2010 Helix OS, a R460 and a R470. You'd be forgiven for thinking I love titanium frames. But honestly, even a cheap carbon frame blows all the Ti frames out the water when it comes to comfor, stiffness and weight. The R460 and R470 bikes both felt heavier than the were. Riding the carbon bikes I owned at the time highlighted how flexy and unresponsive titanium frames are, compared to a modern carbon bike. And I'd say the Lynskey R460, R470 and Litespeed Archon Ti rides like aluminium bikes when comes to comfort. They don't really show any vibration dampening unless your going +40kph. So in summary, I'd only recommend a Titanium frame if your'e going for aesthetics and scratch resistence. When it comes to overall lifespan, I've seen and heard about enough broken Ti frames, compared to the small amount sold, not to get caught up in the mythical "titanium frames lasts forever" nonsense. Most titanium bike owners have more than one bike, which is why they never wear out and thus ends up on eBay etc. after several years.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

ahah
try good quality modern ti bikes maybe before making finals assumption

Berzin1

by Berzin1

N/A.
Last edited by Berzin1 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robeambro

by robeambro

One day I’ll read a post of somebody who’s recently bought an expensive bike and complains about its ride quality / stiffness / etc.

Not to doubt the OP’s experience, but such an unsolicited opinion screams “I need to validate my expense” to me.

Ravnsnaes

by Ravnsnaes

romanmoser wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:43 pm
ahah
try good quality modern ti bikes maybe before making finals assumption
The R460 and R470 are almost identical to the the current R480, they difference being the rotated the downtube 90 degrees for aestethics. So my experiences are very up-to-date.

shuttlenote

by shuttlenote

Berzin1 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:01 am
After a couple of hundred miles I feel strongly enough to post some initial thoughts on this frame.

robeambro wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:45 pm

On the other hand, I can always just delete it.
lol! Everyone is entitled to their opinions, doesn't make one wrong or right.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Ravnsnaes wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:32 pm
I've owned several Lynskey's. A 2009 Helix, a 2010 Helix OS, a R460 and a R470. You'd be forgiven for thinking I love titanium frames. But honestly, even a cheap carbon frame blows all the Ti frames out the water when it comes to comfor, stiffness and weight. The R460 and R470 bikes both felt heavier than the were. Riding the carbon bikes I owned at the time highlighted how flexy and unresponsive titanium frames are, compared to a modern carbon bike. And I'd say the Lynskey R460, R470 and Litespeed Archon Ti rides like aluminium bikes when comes to comfort. They don't really show any vibration dampening unless your going +40kph. So in summary, I'd only recommend a Titanium frame if your'e going for aesthetics and scratch resistence. When it comes to overall lifespan, I've seen and heard about enough broken Ti frames, compared to the small amount sold, not to get caught up in the mythical "titanium frames lasts forever" nonsense. Most titanium bike owners have more than one bike, which is why they never wear out and thus ends up on eBay etc. after several years.
Exactly!! I agree fully with you :thumbup:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Patto

by Patto

The 460 I rode was hard. The 240 was too soft. But the 360 was juust right. Nice everyday bike. I was surprised when they stopped making them. Made me wonder if Lynskey actually rode their bikes. My weight, wheels, tyres and intended purpose has no doubt affects my impression.