What bearings come with the 2018 Cannondale SS HM Disc Dura Ace?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

Does anyone know what kind of bearings (steel, ceramic, good, mediocre, not good) come standard on a 2018 SS Evo Disc Dura Ace?

Link: https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/ ... =undefined
Listed Bottom Bracket: Cannondale Alloy PressFit30
Crankset: HollowGram Si, BB30a, w/ OPI SpideRing, 52/36

No chance that these came standard with ceramic bearings right?
Last edited by skyliner1004 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Disc Dura-Ace
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
Look Keo Blade 2 Carbon Ti
15lb 15oz

by Weenie

menkar

by menkar

I ordered these when the originals went bad on my 2016 SS Evo with HollowGram Si:

https://www.cannondaleexperts.com/Canno ... p_480.html

and they were exactly like the ones I removed - They are not ceramic.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

NTN, NSK, SKF sealed steel bearings are the way to go. Ceramic bearings are like hifi cables, ppl want to believe they work, but bearing drag only accounts to around 15% of the total bearing friction.

skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

ChiZ01 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:17 am
NTN, NSK, SKF sealed steel bearings are the way to go. Ceramic bearings are like hifi cables, ppl want to believe they work, but bearing drag only accounts to around 15% of the total bearing friction.
Doesn't Hambinis Bbs use NTN? Would those be better than Kogels ceramic bbs?
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
15lb 15oz

hambini

by hambini

The cannondale OE bearings are usually 6806 or 61806 badged FSA with green or blue seals. They are pretty rubbish.

And what Chiz says is true.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...
Add me ON TWITTER!
Aerodynamic Masterclass in bicycle wheels
I fixed the bottom bracket from hell

skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

hambini wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:50 pm
The cannondale OE bearings are usually 6806 or 61806 badged FSA with green or blue seals. They are pretty rubbish.

HAMBINI! didn't know u were on here, watched a crap ton of your videos, great stuff. Last one i saw was the one where you listed Look, Time, and Dengfu to have the tightest BB tolerences

Can you link me to something you'd recommend on my BB, would i even benefit changing out the stock (brand new BB Bearings that came from Cdale?) I ride ~100 miles a week, casually.
My cousin recently got Kogel ceramic bearings (yes, i know, ceramic blah blah lol, but he said they were around $120)
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
15lb 15oz

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

I'd just ride the stock bearings until they wear out, I've got some stock ones (white seals?) still in a bike from 2014 with quite a lot of milage in all sorts of weather, no clicks, no creaks, spin smoothly still. My Evo is three years old and also still is on it's stock bearings (blue seals I think), last time I checked them, I was surprised how smooth they were still spinning. One thing to check when you get the bike is if the bearing preload is set correctly, sometimes they build them quickly and some shops dont always double check that. If the wave washer is too compressed, it could shorten the lifespn of the bearings.

The only BB30 / PF30 bearings I had issues with were ceramics, they just died quite quickly. I'd definitely go with Chiz recommandations over any ceramic bearings when it's time to replace.

hambini

by hambini

skyliner1004 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:50 pm
hambini wrote:

HAMBINI! didn't know u were on here, watched a crap ton of your videos, great stuff. Last one i saw was the one where you listed Look, Time, and Dengfu to have the tightest BB tolerences

Can you link me to something you'd recommend on my BB, would i even benefit changing out the stock (brand new BB Bearings that came from Cdale?) I ride ~100 miles a week, casually.
My cousin recently got Kogel ceramic bearings (yes, i know, ceramic blah blah lol, but he said they were around $120)
I would only change the bearings if you have a problem. Don't change them expecting to suddenly go loads faster - it won't happen.

NTN 6806 LLB are very popular, reviews on here are very favourable https://www.hambini.com/ntn-6806-llb-30 ... aring.html

Hope that helps
Hambini
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...
Add me ON TWITTER!
Aerodynamic Masterclass in bicycle wheels
I fixed the bottom bracket from hell

skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

hambini wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:48 am
skyliner1004 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:50 pm
hambini wrote:

I would only change the bearings if you have a problem. Don't change them expecting to suddenly go loads faster - it won't happen.

NTN 6806 LLB are very popular, reviews on here are very favourable https://www.hambini.com/ntn-6806-llb-30 ... aring.html

Hope that helps
Hambini
Dan Gerous wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:21 am
I'd just ride the stock bearings until they wear out, I've got some stock ones (white seals?) still in a bike from 2014 with quite a lot of milage in all sorts of weather, no clicks, no creaks, spin smoothly still. My Evo is three years old and also still is on it's stock bearings (blue seals I think), last time I checked them, I was surprised how smooth they were still spinning. One thing to check when you get the bike is if the bearing preload is set correctly, sometimes they build them quickly and some shops dont always double check that. If the wave washer is too compressed, it could shorten the lifespn of the bearings.

The only BB30 / PF30 bearings I had issues with were ceramics, they just died quite quickly. I'd definitely go with Chiz recommandations over any ceramic bearings when it's time to replace.

Thanks you both! i've taken my rear wheel out, held it by its spindle, and spun the wheel. It was very smooth. i dont plan to spend over $100 for ceramic bearings, and will likely upgrade to what hambini recommended if/when my current onces give me an issue. Is it safe to assume that what came stock with cannondale are Steel Bearings?
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
15lb 15oz

by Weenie