Rotor Cassette weight!

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
lee16

by lee16

I recently purchased a Pinarello F10 with Shimano 9150 Dura ace, but it came with a Ultegra cassette. I purchased a Rotor Cassette and here is the weight difference. :D

Ultegra 11 speed cassette 11-28

Rotor 11 speed cassette 11-28 (Weight is lower than advertised at 135g!) :beerchug:

by Weenie

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Curious to know how they shift with DA compared to Ultegra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The Uno is known to break. A user here posted a video on YouTube. You can search for it. There’s price to pay for such extreme weight saving but YMMV. A better WW option would be the Sram XG cassette but some have reported shifting issues when paired with 9150.

lee16

by lee16

I have five friends with Rotor Cassette and no issues. There are seven bolts in the back of the cassette.
I had to do minor tuning with the Rotor but it shifts fine.

BTW these cassettes are used in the Tour De France.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

lee16 wrote:I have five friends with Rotor Cassette and no issues. There are seven bolts in the back of the cassette.
I had to do minor tuning with the Rotor but it shifts fine.

BTW these cassettes are used in the Tour De France.
Sure, Dimension Data was once sponsored by Rotor but that’s neither here nor there. Your friends having no issues though, that says more to me than TdF marketing.

Good job saving some weight and good luck with the cassette. Maybe give us a follow up report when the cassette wears out eventually?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The UNO also has widely spaced larger cogs in order to save weight. Take a look at the ratios between it and the Ultegra. Despite being very light the gear ratio isn’t very well suited for climbing. But yeah it’s damn light for sure...

tabl10s

by tabl10s

I have four and no issues either. As I'm also old school, I don't shift under a full load out of habit.
2016 Orbea Orca OMR: 15.0lbs/6.804kg...😐 | 2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg...😭 | 2015 Pinarello F8: 13.04lbs/5.915kg...😩 | 2018 S-Works SL6: 12.04/5.625kg... 😥

RussellS

by RussellS

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:31 pm
The UNO also has widely spaced larger cogs in order to save weight. Take a look at the ratios between it and the Ultegra. Despite being very light the gear ratio isn’t very well suited for climbing. But yeah it’s damn light for sure...
Rotor 11-28 eleven speed cassette has 11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-24-28 cogs. Ultegra 11-28 eleven speed cassette has 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25-28 cogs. The Rotor cog spacing beats the SH-T out of the stupid Ultegra cog spacing. Why would any intelligent bicyclist want three hill climbing cogs of 23-25-28 when Rotor gives you two cogs of 24-28? Ultegra leaves out the important middle cog of 16 teeth where you want small jumps between cogs as you are spinning along. Ultegra gives you a big 15-17 jump instead. When I climb hills I want a sort of low gear and a really low gear. That is enough. I don't need or want sort of lowish, sort of low, kind of low, low, lower, and really low. Dumb waste of cogs.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

I am going to go ahead and disagree with the above there on the spacing question, but different strokes for different folks.

Separately, isn't aluminum going to wear faster? And isn't the price crazy high for a wear item, given that dura ace is like 40% cheaper?

skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

while on this topic, Whats the best bang for the buck upgrade from the Ultegra Cassette and Chain? My bike came with DA all around except those 2...
2018 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Disc Dura-Ace
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
Look Keo Blade 2 Carbon Ti
15lb 15oz

RussellS

by RussellS

skyliner1004 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:42 pm
Whats the best bang for the buck upgrade from the Ultegra Cassette and Chain?
By best bang for the buck, do you mean least dollars per gram? If so, then make a spreadsheet of Dura Ace, Ultegra, SRAM Red, Force, and all those other companies that make cassettes now days. And chains too. Get the price and weight of everything. Divide dollars by grams to get $/gram for everything. Then make some kind of decision. Some might be frugal and use $/gram. Others might choose lowest weight regardless of cost. Others might want the prettiest.

On a bike the important wear parts are: chain, cassette, tires. Disregarding handlebar tape, tubes, cleats. So you might be replacing chain, cassette, tires frequently. Every year. Is it logical to spend lots of money on wear parts? Or is it smarter to go lowest $/gram?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

RussellS wrote:Why would any intelligent bicyclist want three hill climbing cogs of 23-25-28. Dumb waste of cogs.
It’s more than just for climbing. The 23 is perfect to use with the big ring when going over a short hill without having to downshift to the small ring. You now see a trend within the pro ranks using a wide range cassette. Like the Shimano 11-30. Apparently to the pros the benefits of wider range outweighs not having closer ratios on the higher end.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

skyliner1004 wrote:while on this topic, Whats the best bang for the buck upgrade from the Ultegra Cassette and Chain? My bike came with DA all around except those 2...
For near shifting performance it’s best to stick to Shimano. I’d recommend the Dura Ace.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Best bang for the buck is to keep Ultegra until they wear out. Which if you ride a lot, won’t take that long. Then think about what to replace them with. There is not much gain, performance or weight wise, between Ultegra and DA chains, but DA also does not cost that much. So I go with that. There is about 50g difference in weight between beteeen Ultergra and DA cassettes, but DA is quite pricey. Though still DA is 50-60% of the price of the new SRAM AXS 12 sp or the aforementioned Rotor. DA cassette also uses titanium so cogs wear faster than Ultegra. Is the extra cash worth 50g? Only you can decide that.

There are also third party cassettes out there on eBay made entirely out of titanium that might offer the best bang for the buck, weight wise. But I have no idea about their reliability or shift performance.

by Weenie