Best Feeling Tyres for Commuting

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

I recently asked a question about the puncture protection of Veloflex Master/Corsa

This is because I really fancy a change to my go to tyres, Michelin Service Course

I’m looking for something that is somewhat more exotic with a better ride feel

Do about 250km a week commuting then use tubulars for the weekend

What do you recommend or are Michelin, et al, as good as it gets for commuting
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

The Panaracer RaceA EVO3 are fast, very durable tires, but very underrated. Personally I feel Michelin and Continental tires are overrated. For me the Michelin pro 4 endurance was slower and had worse puncture protection than Race A evo 3. Contis aren't too bad for GP 4000S2 but their 4 seasons and Gators really aren't the best out there for commuting IMHO. Only downside to Panaracers is that they are a bit ugly and not the best in the wet.

CXrider

by CXrider

Continental GP5000 if you want a fast tyre with decent puncture protection. Pirelli Cinturato Velo if you want the ideal compromise between speed and puncture protection.

Marin

by Marin

Veloflex have pretty good puncture protection, I never had a puncture on mine. The ride is among the best, too.

alanyu

by alanyu

Lewn777 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:05 am
The Panaracer RaceA EVO3 are fast, very durable tires, but very underrated. Personally I feel Michelin and Continental tires are overrated. For me the Michelin pro 4 endurance was slower and had worse puncture protection than Race A evo 3. Contis aren't too bad for GP 4000S2 but their 4 seasons and Gators really aren't the best out there for commuting IMHO. Only downside to Panaracers is that they are a bit ugly and not the best in the wet.
Race A is definitely a good tyre for commuting, durable, high puncture resistance and grippy in both dry and wet. However, I can not remark it as a fast tyre. It rolls no faster than rubino pro, much slower than GP4k in my experience, which is also confirmed by https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... ke-reviews

Lewn777

by Lewn777

alanyu wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:21 am
Lewn777 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:05 am
Race A is definitely a good tyre for commuting, durable, high puncture resistance and grippy in both dry and wet. However, I can not remark it as a fast tyre. It rolls no faster than rubino pro, much slower than GP4k in my experience, which is also confirmed by https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... ke-reviews
I meant 'fast' considering their excellent puncture resistance for a commuting /fondo/ training tire that doesn't cut up. eg. when compared to Gators, 4 Seasons, evo4 endurance etc. Yes, GP4000S2 are a little quicker, but not by that much. Lots of people swear by the GP4K, it's certainly a great tire, but if you need a bit more endurance the Race A is one of the best out there.

Lugan

by Lugan

I use Schwalbe G One Speed 30c tires on my rain bike (Seattle area). I run them tubeless on Hed Ardennes Black wheels (the ones with the super grippy braking track). The combination is great - reliable (zero flats in a year+), super comfortable, and very solid handling.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

G-One speed 30c are good, but I think the wear on my rear is going to net me about ~1200miles before needing replacement. The sidewall is delaminating and the center of the treadblock is almost smooth at about 800miles. They also don't ride all that great in terms of sidewall give, Hutchinson 11storm!!!! Glatickons road much softer at higher pressures and smaller sizes - they didn't wear well at all.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

How is your commute? We know your distance but how about other info?

My commute is on a very known good road with multiple stops and red light. And is also a short distance.
Therefore a light weight one help in repeated acceleration. It doesn't have to be durable because the road are quite good and known. In fact, while i commute 5 days a week. the tire last much longer than one on my main bike due to shorter distance travelled, and on a better quality road.
Lighter and more fragile tire is more appropriate on my commuter than my main bike that travel longer on unknown road.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

I commute through a major city on GP4000s2 and they work great. Fast and zero punctures.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

I bought some Veloflex Corsas
Which is what I wanted to do

The commute varies depending on my after commitments and races

Am lucky as there are numerous routes I can take from 20km to 90km
The roads are all sealed but there can be glass
Also Christchurch is still being rebuilt after the swarm of earthquakes
So there can be bits of stones, gravel, new potholes after rain and interesting detours
Through town there are a few traffic lights but once out of the city there aren't any for miles
I like to use tubs at the weekend and they hold up okay over, largely, the same routes
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

My commute is around 25km and 95% bike path. I've been using Schwalbe Durano's for years and they have served me well. I'm not worried about saving a few seconds getting to work, I like my job but not that much. 25c run at 70/75psi (I'm 73kg) and I have had only a couple of flats over many years. I have some stock of Michelin Pro 4 Endurance, they would be my first choice but they don't fit my old commuting frame.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Squashednuts wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:58 am
I recently asked a question about the puncture protection of Veloflex Master/Corsa

This is because I really fancy a change to my go to tyres, Michelin Service Course

I’m looking for something that is somewhat more exotic with a better ride feel

Do about 250km a week commuting then use tubulars for the weekend

What do you recommend or are Michelin, et al, as good as it gets for commuting
I would argue that your tire pressure is the key for “feel”. Start with an accurate bike pump. Experiment. Tire choice is quite personal and kind of depends on your budget and performance vs protection priority.