Anyone running Roval wheels with Campy 11s?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Ive got the wheels converted to the Campy freehub, problem is (and im guessing because of my casette ratio being 11-23) once im in the 39/23 combo, the spokes are pinging off the back of the upper pulley wheel back plate of the EPS Rear derailleur.. this doesnt happen with my Boras... Im building my SL6 with EPS 12, and was going to move my Boras to the SL6, and move the Rovals back to my 11s SL5.. Ive tried the 12s 11-29 block on the roval wheels and it works perfectly fine, so Im guessing the 23 cog is just not big enough to move the RD down out of angle of the spokes from the hub... if anyone is using Campy with Rovals will the 11-25 block work?? I already tried putting a super thin washer behind the casette, but it pushes the lockring out almost to the frame dropout.. can barely see light in there..

by Weenie

eric01

by eric01

Have you tried adjust the tension screw? In shimano terms this is the b-tension screw. Not sure what the equivalent in campy terms is.
AX Lightness Vial Evo, Carl Strong Titanium

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Hi.. yes its supposed to be 5-7mm as recommended by campag... will re measure tonite.. it was late and i was getting angry... when i was using dura ace di2 on there the combo worked. . I guess the campy rd plate is just a bit thicker...

Sin2000

by Sin2000

I have a similar problem with Boras and a 12-25 cassette. The problem is caused by my LBS fitting a chain which is two links too long (evident also in the small-small combo). Until I get a link pin to shorten the chain (myself!) I have limited the high stop on the rear derailleur so that it only just goes into the last sprocket. This was enough to stop contact with the spokes.

Calnago

by Calnago

@Pariscarbon: I can’t speak to the Roval wheels specifically, but I doubt the H-screw adjustment will make much of a difference. It’s more likely a function of the drive side flange not being far enough away from the cassette itself, or more likely (unless everyone with Roval/Campy is having this issue)... the hanger is bent inwards a bit, or... the low limit screw is a bit slack.
@Sin2000: if the chain was that much too long it must have been dragging against the cage and almost completely slack when in the small/small combo right? But again, I don’t think chain length is your issue. Boras work very well with Campy derailleurs (they’d better), and I think you need to check your derailleur hanger. I would guess it’s bent inwards, and/or your low limit screw is not adjusted correctly. If your chain was excessively long, I’d be questioning your bike shop why they set it up so poorly in the first place. But check the hanger for sure as I bet that’s the main cause.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

So I mesured the difference between the upper jockey wheel and the cog on the boras and found it was really tight. I had it inside 5mm.. so I turned it out to about 6mm, and my Rovals work.. no more pings.. and I don't notice any difference in shifting...

Calnago

by Calnago

Good that it’s not touching the spokes anymore, the flange and spoke arrangement must be very close to the cassette. I’ve run an 11/23 cassette with the pulley cog set within 5mm of the cassette cog (in 39/23) and had no issue with clearance to spokes at all. This was on Boras. The only wheelset I have where it got close was on my 32spoke 3x Nemesis rims laced to Campy Record 32 hole hubs with DT Swiss Comp spokes. The low profile rims means that the spoke bracing angle is quite shallow which means the distance from the pulleys to the spokes when in the largest cog is about as minimal as it can get. I started to notice a slight ping from the pulley cage grazing the spokes when putting in a hard effort on hills. Turns out the derailleur hanger needed a bit of a tweak as it was. slightly inward. This was on my Trek Emonda SL. I keep meaning to replace that hanger with one from Wheels Mfg.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Sin2000

by Sin2000

Calnago - yes in small-small the chain is dragging against the derailleur - so it is definitely too long. Fitting a 12-27 cassette solves the derailleur-spoke problem which is why I know that shortening the chain will also solve the problem. As to whether the hanger is bent - it might be, but it shifts well - so the first thing I need to do is shorten the chain to the correct length.