Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AnkitS

by AnkitS

My size small evade (non-mips // non-angi) weights 245g. :cry:
Any HJC dealers in the states yet? Checked a couple of months ago and didn't find any...

Jugi

by Jugi

My MET Manta (M, non-MIPS) is 223 g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Keep in mind that CEN helmets are often lighter than CPSC helmets are lighter than AZ/NZS helmets. My CPSC MET Trenta 3K is nearly 300g when the CEN version is around 220g.

Jopie666

by Jopie666

Stendhal wrote:
Bridgeman wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:55 pm
Another vote for Met Trenta. Excellent fit and function!
Me too. It’s also so well ventilated for an aero-ish helmet that I chose it for my ride today in 90 degree weather.
I’m on the fence for a new helmet. And I think the Trenta is a very nice helmet. Could you tell me the sizing compared to other helmets on the market? My head measures 59 cm’s and is often in between sizes depending on the brand. I now own a Poc Octal in M and it’s actually a perfect fit.
But for most brands an M is just too small. I owned a Met Manta before in L and always had the feeling it was a bit too big/loose on the head.
Tried a Bell, Giro and Catlike in M and they all where to tight.
I know models of the same brand can vary but since I already know what a manta feels like I’m a bit in doubt what size to order.

Trying in a shop is not an option since most shops around my neighborhood don’t have the helmets of my likes in stock.
Oh, it's all right. I'm sure that we can handle this situation maturely, just like the responsible adults that we are. Isn't that right, Mr... Poopy Pants?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

59cm will be tough with most helmet brands, including MET. I found MET to fit almost like a Giro/Bell, but just enough off that it wasn't going to work out for me.

sychen

by sychen

If you find a helmet /brand that works, I would stick with it. I have a Large Giro shaped head... It just works without hotspots or pressure points.

MET/Poc/Kask/Specialized and even Bell (same company as Giro) have slight fit issues.

If poc works for You I would say stick with it unless you can try the Met before you buy

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

silvalis

by silvalis

Except that different helmets from the same company can fit differently.
I wearing a poctal L and tried a ventral spin air L. Fit is different.
The Trenta 3k was great - except I wanted mips. So now I have a giro aether...
Chasse patate

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I have a Spoecialized Evade2 and jus ordered an Abus Gamechanger too.

Jopie666

by Jopie666

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:16 pm
59cm will be tough with most helmet brands, including MET. I found MET to fit almost like a Giro/Bell, but just enough off that it wasn't going to work out for me.

It's a terrible :unbelievable:
Iwas hoping that someone experienced both the manta and trenta. If the fit of the trenta is exact the same then it's not an option. Even the manta looked like a mushroom on my head...
sychen wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:31 am

If poc works for You I would say stick with it unless you can try the Met before you buy
You are right but I was looking for something more aero and less bulky next to my Octal wich I'll keep using next to the new thing. And I haven't seen a non-bulky-POC yet. :wink:
Oh, it's all right. I'm sure that we can handle this situation maturely, just like the responsible adults that we are. Isn't that right, Mr... Poopy Pants?

C36

by C36

Not crazy recent but still interesting. Any more recent test published anywhere?
ImageImage

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

okimy

by okimy

bruno2000 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:48 am
I have a Spoecialized Evade2 and jus ordered an Abus Gamechanger too.
Can you tell me how you like the Gamechanger once you get some rides in? I'm looking at getting one for myself, want to try out timetrialling next year.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I just got a GC changer after using Evade 1 and 2 for years....

I will tell you I miss the magnetic chin clasp... alot. The GC fits my head a little better (more round I think) I wear a medium in both. My GC weighed 266g so not too bad, but it really looks small so I think it would have been less. The GC feels pretty aero to me, you really dont feel it hitting the wind. I will tell you the main reason why I'm trying it is because it's reported not to drip sweat down the front the brow so much and so far it's working pretty well in that regard. I can even go back to wearing my many pairs of Oakleys that I stopped wearing because they have a tendency to pool.

I was a pretty hot day/morning and I would say it was no worse then the Evade2 in that cooling dept... need more hot rides though... high was only 86F so far

oh and sunglass storage in the back is a big plus. I tend not to remove my glasses riding... but if you are a coffeeshop stopper.. big +
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:44 pm
7.7 to 15 watts is pretty good for someone with a 250 watt ftp - a 3 to 6% improvement. If you are a tiny person with a smaller FTP, the percentage gain is even larger.

An aero road helmet is a good bang for the buck if you are trying to save watts.
Yes, that's a pretty big improvement for anyone especially if you are near the FTP frontier. I am 6-4 and my aero drag is huge altho I have a big engine (360ish ftp, 174lb) and ride comfortably in more aero position. If your numbers are correct aero helmets have one the highest watt/dollar, if not the highest. Effortless.

I just purchased a Ballista and will share a quick review after a couple of rides.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

rides4beer

by rides4beer

talltales wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:29 am
I wish noise was a tested parameter in helmet tests. Often its not even mentioned, even if it does make a noticable differene. Id rather have a low noise helmet than a aero helmet.
It's pretty crazy how quiet my EvadeII is compared to my Kask Mojito. So low noise, plus aero (altho, I'd probably guess that the aero portion is part of why there's less noise lol).

okimy

by okimy

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:01 pm
I just got a GC changer after using Evade 1 and 2 for years....

I will tell you I miss the magnetic chin clasp... alot. The GC fits my head a little better (more round I think) I wear a medium in both. My GC weighed 266g so not too bad, but it really looks small so I think it would have been less. The GC feels pretty aero to me, you really dont feel it hitting the wind. I will tell you the main reason why I'm trying it is because it's reported not to drip sweat down the front the brow so much and so far it's working pretty well in that regard. I can even go back to wearing my many pairs of Oakleys that I stopped wearing because they have a tendency to pool.

I was a pretty hot day/morning and I would say it was no worse then the Evade2 in that cooling dept... need more hot rides though... high was only 86F so far

oh and sunglass storage in the back is a big plus. I tend not to remove my glasses riding... but if you are a coffeeshop stopper.. big +
Thanks for sharing your experience. Since I've never had a magnetic buckle I'll be fine without. Weight is still less than my non aero helmet so that's a plus for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com