Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

topt

by topt

Anyone has the swiss side aero helmets test for 2020? It was published in Roadbike
https://www.swissside.com/blogs/news/fast-aero-helmets

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

There you go.
Specialized is evade 2, Kask is Utopia, Lazer is Bullet 2.0
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:31 pm

There you go.
Specialized is evade 2, Kask is Utopia, Lazer is Bullet 2.0
What is the HJC modell?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

HJC Furion 2, Bell Z20 Aero, Abus Gamechanger, Limar Airspeed, Mavic Comete Ultimate, Base helmet is an S-Works Prevail.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Interesting. Small differences there. HJC looks quite good on the combination of weight/aero.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:28 pm
Interesting. Small differences there. HJC looks quite good on the combination of weight/aero.

You’d be mad to sacrifice 3.6W (or even .5W at steep climbing speeds) for 53g under pretty much any circumstances. 53g represents .069% of my system weight. Buy the Furion because it looks good, not because it’s unnoticeably lighter than the Evade.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:52 pm

You’d be mad to sacrifice 3.6W (or even .5W at steep climbing speeds) for 53g under pretty much any circumstances. 53g represents .069% of my system weight. Buy the Furion because it looks good, not because it’s unnoticeably lighter than the Evade.
Don't you like having less weight on the head?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:56 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:

Maybe my neck will thanks me after riding for 5 hours plus. But for ride shorter than 3 hours, nah, my brain and skull weight a lot more than helmet.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

wheelsONfire wrote:

Cripes.

It’s...53 grams. If your neck/head notices that, it’s definitely going to notice a whopping 3.6W (or .5W) worth of additional resistance acting against it.

robeambro

by robeambro

Can't quite figure out how the Lazer Bullet can manage to be 2w slower than a Prevail. Is the honeycomb pattern making it slow? Is the Prevail maybe benftiting from a smaller form factor? Can't imagine how slow the Genesis must be. Primoz Roglic doesn't like this study :lol:

A pity there's no Giro helmets, would be curious to see how an Aether tests against the Evade.

alanyu

by alanyu

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:02 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:

Cripes.

It’s...53 grams. If your neck/head notices that, it’s definitely going to notice a whopping 3.6W (or .5W) worth of additional resistance acting against it.
53 g is enough for my head noticing. I immediately noticed the heavier weight of Lazer Z1 mips (258g) when I put it on my head, after three months of using Kask Valegro (210g). It's a different story to the power legs generating.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

alanyu wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:18 pm

53 g is enough for my head noticing. I immediately noticed the heavier weight of Lazer Z1 mips (258g) when I put it on my head, after three months of using Kask Valegro (210g). It's a different story to the power legs generating.

Your head doesn’t notice several watts of additional drag acting against it? There’s an anecdote about Tom Boonen riding in the peloton with his head sitting in the wind because he’s so tall, and how much neck relief he finally got with an aero helmet.

I’d choose a non-aero helmet for additional ventilation, for looks, for supposed safety ratings differences, but weight is pretty far down that list of priorities.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

TobinHatesYou wrote:

I am not saying that HJC has better performance than Evade. I love the Evade. Great helmet. And clearly 3.6w beats 53g in performance terms. But as per posts below, a light-weight helmet is sometimes a blessing in its own right, and for long days, lots of climbing, etc., HJC looks like a good option. Also, aero studies of helmets are also all a bit iffy generally: so much depends on fit and head position - so we all need to bear in mind that while tests like that are a Good Thing, it is by no means a sure thing that Evade will be faster than the others by the same margin or indeed at all on a specific rider's head. It's just somewhat likelier to be faster than the others, possibly/maybe even in a way that you could notice on a Strava time split. But also: maybe not. Until you book a test in the windtunnel, it's a bit of a gamble all around.

Weight, on the other hand, is entirely objective. And then it's the whole idea behind WW-ism, isn't it? Any single change of components that saves 20 or 50g doesn't make any difference. But a couple dozen changes like that when you suddenly have system weighing 1-1.5kg less, and it does matter. And while I don't go crazy in this direction by any means in pursuit of some absurd goals like a sub-6kg bike, weigh is certainly one impotant consideration in my component and equipment choices everywhere: not just on the bike, but also in what I wear and take with me: clothes, shoes, helmet, sunglasses, tools, and even iphone cases. Aero trumps weight, yes, but it isn't... you know... everything.

Anyway, HJC wasn't even on my radar before, and now I feel compelled to buy the red and black option, because it matches my bike's colourway oh-so-well. 8)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

aeroisnteverything, you’re neglecting that drag on your head is like a weight pushing against it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:50 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:

I am not saying that HJC has better performance than Evade. I love the Evade. Great helmet. And clearly 3.6w beats 53g in performance terms. But as per posts below, a light-weight helmet is sometimes a blessing in its own right, and for long days, lots of climbing, etc., HJC looks like a good option. Also, aero studies of helmets are also all a bit iffy generally: so much depends on fit and head position - so we all need to bear in mind that while tests like that are a Good Thing, it is by no means a sure thing that Evade will be faster than the others by the same margin or indeed at all on a specific rider's head. It's just somewhat likelier to be faster than the others, possibly/maybe even in a way that you could notice on a Strava time split. But also: maybe not. Until you book a test in the windtunnel, it's a bit of a gamble all around.

Weight, on the other hand, is entirely objective. And then it's the whole idea behind WW-ism, isn't it? Any single change of components that saves 20 or 50g doesn't make any difference. But a couple dozen changes like that when you suddenly have system weighing 1-1.5kg less, and it does matter. And while I don't go crazy in this direction by any means in pursuit of some absurd goals like a sub-6kg bike, weigh is certainly one impotant consideration in my component and equipment choices everywhere: not just on the bike, but also in what I wear and take with me: clothes, shoes, helmet, sunglasses, tools, and even iphone cases. Aero trumps weight, yes, but it isn't... you know... everything.

Anyway, HJC wasn't even on my radar before, and now I feel compelled to buy the red and black option, because it matches my bike's colourway oh-so-well. 8)
Experiments are iffy, but the Evade is pretty much always a "best on test" in the few I've seen.

HJC are pretty cool but they fit pretty small. I fit M for any other brand on the planet, but could not for fit in either the Furion or the Ibex size M.