Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cajer

by cajer

Any news on the new Giro aero road helmet that was teased last year?

This one: https://bikerumor.com/spotted-team-bike ... de-france/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ReactoScultura

by ReactoScultura

Another new helmet from HJC is coming this 7 February!

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I just picked up a Limar Air Speed for a great price, hopefully it gains me a little speed over my Lazer Blade.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

oeympe

by oeympe

ReactoScultura wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:50 am
Curious to see if it will be a real new helmet or just a new colour on their list:
HJC's Instagram post

No, one mention here the Rudy Project Nytron on which Swiss Side has worked.

cajer

by cajer

oeympe wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:58 am
ReactoScultura wrote:
Curious to see if it will be a real new helmet or just a new colour on their list:
HJC's Instagram post

The rudy project wing is a super fast helmet. However they don't even advertise watt savings for the Nytron. So it might not be that fast...

Also any rumors on a specialized evade update? The evade 2 is a few years old now

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

cajer wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:30 am
oeympe wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:58 am
ReactoScultura wrote:
HJC's Instagram post

The rudy project wing is a super fast helmet. However they don't even advertise watt savings for the Nytron. So it might not be that fast...

Also any rumors on a specialized evade update? The evade 2 is a few years old now
I just came in here to ask about the Nytron after just discovering it today. Great looking helmet imo in the white. Does anyone have it? How is the fit? They say it's aero from many angles.

Just found this, but I don't know how these numbers compare to the other helmet tests.
93DE9908-F9A4-46E9-A09E-77F62153CFDE.png
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

I'm looking for a semi-aero helmet. Any suggestions? The ones which I already tried that don't fit. Met Trenta, HJC Ibex 2.0 and Kask Protone.

I was waiting for a long time for the price to drop on the HJC Ibex 2.0 in vintage white, but found a good deal on the navy colored. The fit ended up not being good at all for me.

Then after I returned it. I got a Protone. Fit felt good when I'm just upright but when putting my head down, the foam on the forehead digs in and is really uncomfortable.

The biggest problem I have with helmets is when I am in a low position and lifting my head to look up, the retention system at the back digs in to the back of my neck. I always have to adjust the retention system to be the furthest up on most helmets for that not to happen. So that was a problem on both the Protone and HJC since both have adjustemnt in height that moves freely and can't be stuck in one place.

I guess most people don't have this problem. I think my head is pretty small at the back. I mean the distance from top of head to the neck.

The best fitting helmet I've ever tried/worn was the Poc Ventral Air, for reference. Also the Evade 2 fits pretty well.
I'm considering the Nytron since it seems very aero and they say it has great ventilation. It has 15 vents. I also like the look of the Kask Wasabi but it's really heavy and expensive.

Also. Is there any testing done on semi-aero and non aero helmets? That would be interesting to know.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Nickldn wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:26 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:46 pm
I should have replied directly to one poster, my mistake. I thought also soemone else mentioned being under pressure for wearing all aero stuff but can't find the post. Which is why I said you, not meaning all of you in the thread but a couple of people.

This was on of the posts:
Nickldn wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:42 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:46 pm
Shouldn't a helmet that is designed with integrated glasses win all aero test in real life?
The only helmet i actually feel a difference riding is Casco Speedaero. It feels sleek in the wind.
I've never felt that before with any helmet. You look like a space man though!
Seriously considering an Oakley AR07 for 2021, but yeah the looking like a space man thing applies big time.

Not sure if I'll be laughed at (especially if I get overtaken).
Well in the end I decided that I don't care how I look riding in my AR07. I guess for many, including me, part of the enjoyment of riding is in the dressing up. Aero helmet included.
Same here. I love cycling apparel, and doing everything to be faster.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:40 pm
I'm looking for a semi-aero helmet. Any suggestions? The ones which I already tried that don't fit. Met Trenta, HJC Ibex 2.0 and Kask Protone.

I was waiting for a long time for the price to drop on the HJC Ibex 2.0 in vintage white, but found a good deal on the navy colored. The fit ended up not being good at all for me.

Then after I returned it. I got a Protone. Fit felt good when I'm just upright but when putting my head down, the foam on the forehead digs in and is really uncomfortable.

The biggest problem I have with helmets is when I am in a low position and lifting my head to look up, the retention system at the back digs in to the back of my neck. I always have to adjust the retention system to be the furthest up on most helmets for that not to happen. So that was a problem on both the Protone and HJC since both have adjustemnt in height that moves freely and can't be stuck in one place.

I guess most people don't have this problem. I think my head is pretty small at the back. I mean the distance from top of head to the neck.

The best fitting helmet I've ever tried/worn was the Poc Ventral Air, for reference. Also the Evade 2 fits pretty well.
I'm considering the Nytron since it seems very aero and they say it has great ventilation. It has 15 vents. I also like the look of the Kask Wasabi but it's really heavy and expensive.

Also. Is there any testing done on semi-aero and non aero helmets? That would be interesting to know.
I would suggest the Kask Utopia based on its ventilation punching much higher than its design suggests, your previous fit comfort with the Protone, but with a different foam arrangement.

Otherwise I would put the Gen 1 Scott Centric. Don't have any experience with the new, more flat one.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:00 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:

I would suggest the Kask Utopia based on its ventilation punching much higher than its design suggests, your previous fit comfort with the Protone, but with a different foam arrangement.

Otherwise I would put the Gen 1 Scott Centric. Don't have any experience with the new, more flat one.
I've been looking at the Utopia as well before I got the Protone. It doesn't have that large foam on the front, which would be better but I suppose the retention system is the same and I would be having the same problem because of not being able to adjust the retention height wise as with other helmets.

I have tried on a Centric Plus in a store a while back and I remember it felt huge and bulky on my head. Maybe I needed a size small, idk. My head is 56cm.

Thanks, I completely forgott to consider Scott. I didn't even know there was a new Centric Plus with more vents on top. From reviews it seems like a super ventilated helmet though.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:15 pm
ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Roadbiker10 wrote:

I've been looking at the Utopia as well before I got the Protone. It doesn't have that large foam on the front, which would be better but I suppose the retention system is the same and I would be having the same problem because of not being able to adjust the retention height wise as with other helmets.

I have tried on a Centric Plus in a store a while back and I remember it felt huge and bulky on my head. Maybe I needed a size small, idk. My head is 56cm.

Thanks, I completely forgott to consider Scott. I didn't even know there was a new Centric Plus with more vents on top. From reviews it seems like a super ventilated helmet though.
I think with the new design it draws more of a divide from the Cadence, which is wel overdue for a redesign as well. I have a 56cm measurement as well and agree somewhat with the bulk. It ain't light like the Utopia which I've been using for the past 3 years.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:19 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:15 pm
ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Roadbiker10 wrote:

I think with the new design it draws more of a divide from the Cadence, which is wel overdue for a redesign as well. I have a 56cm measurement as well and agree somewhat with the bulk. It ain't light like the Utopia which I've been using for the past 3 years.
Hopefully I get to try on the Utopia at some point. I just pulled the trigger on a white Rudy Project Nytron. We'll see how it turnes out. Rudy Project and Kask don't have Mips but they have the new WG11 safety standard.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

ReactoScultura

by ReactoScultura

Guyz,

What’s your comment about the new limited Zwift edition of the HJC Furion 2.0?

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

ReactoScultura wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:22 pm
Guyz,

What’s your comment about the new limited Zwift edition of the HJC Furion 2.0?
It's cool, just not for me aesthetically. Design wise, same as existing Furion 2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cajer

by cajer

Looks like the new giro eclipse is out. Going by their time saved numbers looks like it should be ~4 watts faster than the vanquish.

Does anyone know how the vanquish compares to other helmets?

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/giro-ecl ... al-helmet/