Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hlvd

by hlvd

alistaird wrote:Just started using one of these - wonderful fit and preported to be aero...

https://hexr.com

Not cheap but protects, ventalates, fits and hopefully aero - but not at my speeds :-)

A
Looks impressive, how much better is the fit compared to an off the shelf helmet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Aeather and Trenta both seem like really good aero but ventilated helmets. I have the aeather and love it. I was considering the Trenta too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alistaird

by alistaird

hlvd wrote:
alistaird wrote:Just started using one of these - wonderful fit and preported to be aero...

Not cheap but protects, ventalates, fits and hopefully aero - but not at my speeds :-)

A
Looks impressive, how much better is the fit compared to an off the shelf helmet?

Well I guess it depends on your head shape. I don't need the ratchet at the back at all with this helmet. It just fits everywhere with zero pressure points. YMMV....

It looks slightly smaller on the head as it fits so well... I've tried Giro, Kask, Bolle....

A

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

hlvd

by hlvd

alistaird wrote:
hlvd wrote:

A

Well I guess it depends on your head shape. I don't need the ratchet at the back at all with this helmet. It just fits everywhere with zero pressure points. YMMV....

It looks slightly smaller on the head as it fits so well... I've tried Giro, Kask, Bolle....

A

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Sounds fascinating, what a great idea!

dmp

by dmp

very impressive- but what a price! (I always say if you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet, but that's 2x the price of any other helmet I know of!)

alistaird

by alistaird

dmp wrote:very impressive- but what a price! (I always say if you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet, but that's 2x the price of any other helmet I know of!)
Maybe my comfort and safety is worth the 2x.... :-)

A

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

talltales

by talltales

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:04 pm
I have the Ballista. On my first ride I immediately noticed how quiet my ride is. So my conclusion is that quietness = more aero = more speed. Although I can’t feel the free speed the added quietness is a plus in itself.

I wish noise was a tested parameter in helmet tests. Often its not even mentioned, even if it does make a noticable differene. Id rather have a low noise helmet than a aero helmet.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Another vote for Met Trenta. Excellent fit and function!

rlanger

by rlanger

Anyone have experience with the Smith Ignite?

desperado95219

by desperado95219

[quote=talltales post_id=1515094 time=1567243755 user_id=76221]
[quote=pdlpsher1 post_id=1511075 time=1565535864 user_id=54634]
I have the Ballista. On my first ride I immediately noticed how quiet my ride is. So my conclusion is that quietness = more aero = more speed. Although I can’t feel the free speed the added quietness is a plus in itself.

[/quote]

I wish noise was a tested parameter in helmet tests. Often its not even mentioned, even if it does make a noticable differene. Id rather have a low noise helmet than a aero helmet.
[/quote]
I have just ordered the Ballista and should have it next week. I'll submit my findings.

spartan

by spartan

i owned a bonty ballista quiet but the straps were a mess. fit was so so. bought a kask utopia . the next level. best aero road helmet out there. bonus made in italy (democracy) vs china( communist dictatorship)..
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

ProN3wbie

by ProN3wbie

I rotate between 4 Giro Synthe helmets. Not very aero but I love the venting and the weight. I'm only bringing this up to show the comparision.

I bought a Bontrager Specter WaveCel. Now I know it's no XXX but it was significantly heavier than the Synthe, over 100 grams. The magnet buckle is a cute gimmick that just adds weight in my opinion and by the end of each ride the straps would become loose. Also all that WaveCel crap makes the helmet vent like shit. I was always drenched and sweating all over my sunglasses...drove me nuts....sold that piece of crap and....

Bought an HJC Furion. Very well priced, super cool looking, very aero, and surprisingly well ventilated. The thing I liked the most is it was extremely lightweight. Lighter than my Giro Synthe. Another thing I hadn't considered was wind noise. I immediately noticed that the helmet is very quiet....not that I cared before even care now but it was a pleasant bonus.

I highly recommend giving the Furion a shot. I absolutely love it!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ProN3wbie wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:17 am

What size, and how much does it weigh? Seems like most medium-sized helmets are right around the 290g mark, give or take. Wavecel obviously excluded.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Bridgeman wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:55 pm
Another vote for Met Trenta. Excellent fit and function!
Me too. It’s also so well ventilated for an aero-ish helmet that I chose it for my ride today in 90 degree weather.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProN3wbie

by ProN3wbie

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:55 am
ProN3wbie wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:17 am

What size, and how much does it weigh? Seems like most medium-sized helmets are right around the 290g mark, give or take. Wavecel obviously excluded.
Just weighed mine and it is 217g for a M/L