Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alanyu

by alanyu

oeympe wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:03 am
alanyu wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:30 pm
I went through the video and pasted my comment here.

"This video confused me a lot. According to the website of HJC, Furion 2.0 should be more aero than Ibex 2.0, so I bought Furion 2.0. It is way way way hotter than KASK Valegro. However, this video shows the drag force of Ibex 2.0 at 45 km/h is roughly 50g lower than that of Furion 2.0, which means Ibex 2.0 saves ~ 6 W than Furion 2.0. Moreover, Ibex 2.0 is more ventilated, so what's the meaning of Furion 2.0? The marginal several gramms? The roughly 20 g more lift force, which translates to the watts is rougnly 0.01 W less rolling resistance? If the data is true, I see no points in buying Furion 2.0."
I could only suspect that they swap helmet names by mistake in the video. Otherwise how explain that the HJC Furion 2.0 performed so well in the Swiss Side test for Roadbike magazine? Roadbike's aero helmet test 2020 with Swiss Side
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:31 pm
Specialized Evade 2, Kask Utopia, Lazer Bullet 2.0, HJC Furion 2, Bell Z20 Aero, Abus Gamechanger, Limar Airspeed, Mavic Comete Ultimate, Base helmet is an S-Works Prevail.
I emailed HJC and they told me that the data in the video is true and that's why IBEX 2.0 is more expensive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Robius

by Robius

Just found out Decathlon has a $50 helmet that beats Evade 2 in wind tunnel at 20° yaw angle.

https://www.220triathlon.com/gear/bike/ ... -reviewed/
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Robius wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:29 pm
Just found out Decathlon has a $50 helmet that beats Evade 2 in wind tunnel at 20° yaw angle.

https://www.220triathlon.com/gear/bike/ ... -reviewed/

You’d have to be riding with a pretty strong perpendicular crosswind to observe 20deg yaw.

fizzaz

by fizzaz

[/quote]

I emailed HJC and they told me that the data in the video is true and that's why IBEX 2.0 is more expensive.
[/quote]

I have a hard time believing this one. You may have gotten unlucky and just had a customer service rep who didn't actually know but just had a default answer of "The expensive one is better". The Furion and Utopia are of very similar designs and the teams that have been HJC sponsored have chosen the Furion more often than not for fast finishes. In an interview with Lanterne Rouge, Dowsett said that he started refusing to lead out some of their sprinters if they wouldn't (paraphrasing) "quit wearing the holey helmets". ISN has the Ibex and Furion at their disposal for the last couple of years and I know they have at least done some aero testing.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

AnkitS wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:39 am
Any update on smuggling HJC helmets into the US?
Couldn't you just order one from the UK or EU? I know they don't meet US safety standards but at least in the state I live in helmets aren't required if you are over 16 years old anyways. I'm not saying I would ever ride without a helmet (I wouldn't) or ride a helmet I didn't think was safe, but just because it is certified to EU standards and not US standards shouldn't keep me from being able to import one for personal use to the US.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Wow nice necroposting. Iirc retailers wouldn't ship them to the US.

Alexandre

by Alexandre

Ekoi AR14 is the best aero/price ratio, I had mine for 70 euros

Singular

by Singular

Alexandre wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:29 am
Ekoi AR14 is the best aero/price ratio, I had mine for 70 euros
I'm not by any means saying that you are wrong, but is there any testing backing that up?

If outright speed per moneys is the game and road race helmets is the subject, I'd have a hard time thinking something beats Planet X's Evade knock-off Notus (or the Evo) at something like £20. There are lots of other reasons to choose/not choose a certain brand/model/version of a helmet (after all, it is the most important part of your equipment) but for performance alone it is a bargain.

I had an older Carnac aero road model (in the old-school no vents style) and while it's been used for a couple of Merckx-style TT events (no aerobars, disc wheels or TT helmets) it's been sidelined for a bog-standard Ballista that is miles ahead in comfort, cooling and not least expected protection.

fizzaz

by fizzaz

Mocs123 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:22 pm
AnkitS wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:39 am
Any update on smuggling HJC helmets into the US?
Couldn't you just order one from the UK or EU? I know they don't meet US safety standards but at least in the state I live in helmets aren't required if you are over 16 years old anyways. I'm not saying I would ever ride without a helmet (I wouldn't) or ride a helmet I didn't think was safe, but just because it is certified to EU standards and not US standards shouldn't keep me from being able to import one for personal use to the US.
BikeInn just shipped me one :noidea:

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Are you guys talking about racing? I mean when you say you are worried about wearing too much aero sfuff and bling, just to get passed by someone anyway. You're not out there on the road racing random people who happen to pass you. I don't see why you would want to do that while you're training. Even though I do see the psychology behind it. Peoples egos.

If you're training out on the road, you should not be braking your training routine to chase down everyone who dares to pass you. If you know you're fast, you shouldn't need to prove it to random people, while you are doing a low intensity workout.

If you're talking about racing, then most people would be using stuff to maximize their speed anyway. Although using a Tempo helmet would be a line I wouldn't dare to cross myself.🙂 I had an Aro5 and I thought even that was too hot in 25C, let alone the full tempo one. Don't see how that would be practical at all.

I also don't see anything wrong with wearing aero clothes, helmets, bikes or wheels while doing slow low zone rides. Some people might like to go fast, even when they're training. My SS shirts for example are all aero pretty much, I think they are more comfortable than loser shirts.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

fizzaz

by fizzaz

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:57 pm
Are you guys talking about racing? I mean when you say you are worried about wearing too much aero sfuff and bling, just to get passed by someone anyway. You're not out there on the road racing random people who happen to pass you. I don't see why you would want to do that while you're training. Even though I do see the psychology behind it. Peoples egos.

If you're training out on the road, you should not be braking your training routine to chase down everyone who dares to pass you. If you know you're fast, you shouldn't need to prove it to random people, while you are doing a low intensity workout.

If you're talking about racing, then most people would be using stuff to maximize their speed anyway. Although using a Tempo helmet would be a line I wouldn't dare to cross myself.🙂 I had an Aro5 and I thought even that was too hot in 25C, let alone the full tempo one. Don't see how that would be practical at all.

I also don't see anything wrong with wearing aero clothes, helmets, bikes or wheels while doing slow low zone rides. Some people might like to go fast, even when they're training. My SS shirts for example are all aero pretty much, I think they are more comfortable than loser shirts.
Huh? Did anyone say of this? Who are you talking to? Are you lost?

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

I should have replied directly to one poster, my mistake. I thought also soemone else mentioned being under pressure for wearing all aero stuff but can't find the post. Which is why I said you, not meaning all of you in the thread but a couple of people.

This was on of the posts:
Nickldn wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:42 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:46 pm
Shouldn't a helmet that is designed with integrated glasses win all aero test in real life?
The only helmet i actually feel a difference riding is Casco Speedaero. It feels sleek in the wind.
I've never felt that before with any helmet. You look like a space man though!
Seriously considering an Oakley AR07 for 2021, but yeah the looking like a space man thing applies big time.

Not sure if I'll be laughed at (especially if I get overtaken).
Last edited by Roadbiker10 on Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

What I'm talking about here is pretty common and what I am saying is that there shouldn't be a need to feel any kind of pressure to be superfast and pro just because you use expensive and aero equipment.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:46 pm
I should have replied directly to one poster, my mistake. I thought also soemone else mentioned being under pressure for wearing all aero stuff but can't find the post. Which is why I said you, not meaning all of you in the thread but a couple of people.

This was on of the posts:
Nickldn wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:42 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:46 pm
Shouldn't a helmet that is designed with integrated glasses win all aero test in real life?
The only helmet i actually feel a difference riding is Casco Speedaero. It feels sleek in the wind.
I've never felt that before with any helmet. You look like a space man though!
Seriously considering an Oakley AR07 for 2021, but yeah the looking like a space man thing applies big time.

Not sure if I'll be laughed at (especially if I get overtaken).
Well in the end I decided that I don't care how I look riding in my AR07. I guess for many, including me, part of the enjoyment of riding is in the dressing up. Aero helmet included.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

ReactoScultura

by ReactoScultura

A new HJC Furion 2.0 is just out!

Black Chameleon color!
Last edited by ReactoScultura on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com