Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:52 pm
Wind noise perceived on Giro Eclipse is clearly louder than on my Kask Utopia,
if wind noise can be an indicator of any property.
Leaving out aero performance, it's just a quiet helmet compared to my Scott Centric Plus and previous Evade II. All 3 have near-identical straps near the ears. Riden with short and long hair (think buzz cut sides all the way to Bradley Cooper long) and experienced consistent noise comparison.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

C36 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:52 am

I know Abus did design their gamechanger taking into account different head position (looking down, sprinting…) versus a theoretical best in « lab conditions on a mannequin ».
Do you have a source for this? Maybe in german? id be very interested as I consider the design one of the best
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I've been pleased with my Lase Vento, I think it's slightly less wind noisey then my current evade II. I just changed the clasp/buckle to a magnetic fidlock and it's damn near perfect now.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Hexsense

by Hexsense

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:47 am
Hexsense wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:03 am
I guess it may also have something to do with the strap which is thinner than Kask. So Kask's strap block more wind that'll hit my ears. I'll try some wind blocker on the strap to verify.
Oh that's another thing. I can only get Giro/Bell straps to lie flat against my face if it's pretty tight under the chin. Other helmet straps like on the Evade II lie flat against my cheeks in all circumstances.
Validated. The Wind-Blox reduce wind noise very significantly on this helmet for me.

I can achieve the same quietness (or even quieter) by adding Wind-Blox to Giro helmet vs stock Kask helmet with thicker strap.

rawjunk

by rawjunk

Näyttökuva 2022-07-02 141919.jpg
I have Bontrager Ballista, but my head is heating up during longer (gravel) rides. Could the new Giro Eclipse Spherical be good do-it-all helmet or should I look for something like Met Trenta/Rivale? I have quite oval 58,5cm head so Giro medium should work.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

rawjunk wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:28 pm

I have Bontrager Ballista, but my head is heating up during longer (gravel) rides. Could the new Giro Eclipse Spherical be good do-it-all helmet or should I look for something like Met Trenta/Rivale? I have quite oval 58,5cm head so Giro medium should work.
The Trenta is supposed to be really fast and it certainly looks well ventilated. I wanted it to be my ventilated helmet but it didn't fit me at all.

I recently tried my Rudy Project Nytron in about 25 degrees and it didn't feel bad in terms of ventilation.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:49 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:41 pm
aeroisnteverything wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:19 pm
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RlTcac7QUg - where Evade came out on top, but Met Trenta came out very, very close. For an airy and light helmet like Trenta, that is a damn good result. Seems like a good choice for climbing.
That seems odd, given how ventilated it is. If that's the case then the Manta should be faster than the Evade you would think.
And maybe it is faster than the Evade. Have not seen any tests on it unfortunately. FWIW, I have it and like it very much. I certainly cannot tell any difference vs the Evade II in terms of performance with extensive usage of both. The Manta is lighter, but ventilation is not quite as good as the Evade II.

People focus a lot on how the front of the helmet looks and whether it has/does not have vents. But I think the design of the back end of the helmet, and how the air is extracted/driven through from the front through the available vents, is a lot more critical to aero performance. Met and Specialized both seem to have done their homework on that point.
You might be right about that. The Evade, Trenta and Utopia all have those longer tails as well, and they are all really fast. Maybe that also has something to do with it. But if that's the case then it's strange that no one else is doing it.

It's interesting that the new Evade has pretty much no vents on the side but larger ones on the back.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

What about the Kask Wasabi? No one is talking about it.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

rawjunk

by rawjunk

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:39 pm
rawjunk wrote:

The Trenta is supposed to be really fast and it certainly looks well ventilated. I wanted it to be my ventilated helmet but it didn't fit me at all.

I recently tried my Rudy Project Nytron in about 25 degrees and it didn't feel bad in terms of ventilation.
Is your head more round than oval? Giro looks good on paper, but I don't really want to pay 250€ for a helmet.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

rawjunk wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:18 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:39 pm
rawjunk wrote:

Is your head more round than oval? Giro looks good on paper, but I don't really want to pay 250€ for a helmet.
I don't know to be honest. The shape of my head doesn't seem to stand out in either direction. Maybe it's inbetween. The best fit for me is the Poc Ventral Air, while the Nytron is also very good. The Evade 2 is probably the worst fit out of these three but it is still ok and I don't notice it when it starts going really fast.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

gbrnole

by gbrnole

i have both a ballista and a velocis. both fit me well but the ballista fits a little smaller - a touch more narrow. the velocis has the far superior cooling of the two. i can also wear a size smaller in the velocis so there's probably not much in it aerodynamically either.

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

Trek Segafredo riders are using a new helmet in place of the velocis( not the XXX road helmet). There are pictures on the Trek website, go down to the racing team and you will see pictures of it there.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Stormtrooper wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:03 pm
Trek Segafredo riders are using a new helmet in place of the velocis( not the XXX road helmet). There are pictures on the Trek website, go down to the racing team and you will see pictures of it there.

And it doesn’t use WaveCel…

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:27 pm
I just got the vento from Lazer... so no spesh evade this time around.
How do you like it so far? I have a G1 and love it for hot days but want an aero helmet. Wanted to pick up a Kask Utopia but can't find my size in stock in white, and it looks like they may be releasing a new aero helmet soon. So it's Kask and Lazer right now.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Interested to hear how Trek spin up the marketing.
Going from "Safest ever" WaveCell to carbon fiber shell helmet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com