SRAM RED 12 Speed Chain wear

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mirco

by Mirco

Hi,

I am running a SRAM RED Etap AXS now for about 7000km on my road bike, no rides during rain and maintenance every 400 to 500km with Innotech 105.

I am used to change 11 Speed Dura Ace chains after 6000 to 6500km, because the tool says it‘s time to change.

So, the SRAM chain does not show any wear when using the tool. Maybe SRAM is right, saying the new RED 12 Speed chain last longer, but I don‘t think 10000+ km or whatever.

Does anybody already changed a SRAM RED 12 Speed Chain due to wear using the AXS group?

regards

Mirco

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ToughInTheStreets

by ToughInTheStreets

Which tool are you using?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

If you have a new chain around you can use the same tool and check the old chain against the new chain. It's not uncommon that chains between brands show different lengths even when new. Perhaps the AXS chains are a bit tighter than Shimano's out-of-the-box.

Bluechip

by Bluechip

Good question. Does the new 12 speed chain need a new chain checker? Or are the important specs the same for measuring wear?

marcelflash

by marcelflash

The Sram Red AXS chain has bigger rollers so the old chain tool does not work. I have not seen a new compatible tool.

Bluechip

by Bluechip

Found the answer.
https://sram.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ad-chains-

Park CC4 and Pedro chain checker Plus and Plus II.

Mirco

by Mirco

Yes, I also found the answer, Pedros Chain Checker Plus II will work.

Just ordered one.

regards

Mirco

Bigmac

by Bigmac

Sadly most the old tools won't work! That revised chain checker would seem a must have item albeit, it's a bit pricey!

DaveS

by DaveS

The rollers are .15mm or .006 inch larger in diameter, so a chain checker needs to be made specifically for the axs chains. Most chain checkers measure a mixture of elongation and roller wear. I measure elongation with a 12 inch precision machinists rule and roller wear with digital calipers.

It's common for campy chains to have little elongation, even when the rollers are severely worn. Campy has a recommended length to measure with calipers. What you're measuring is mostly roller wear and little elongation.

It's also common for the hole in the roller to wear much more than the roller diameter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com