Strange rear brake sounds

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
addictR1

by addictR1

Built up and have been riding my T1SL and love it. However I noticed when descending on high-speed, when I press on the rear brake, it makes a shuttering sound from the cables around the handlebar area. Is that normal?

I am running the Sram red caliper. I was guessing maybe the pads was previously used on my other bike where the tilt is different angle, so maybe the uneven pads creates that shuttering effect?

I don’t get any of that issue from the front brakes, only from the rear, but it comes and goes.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Try different brake pads and check the brake surface.

Red caliper alignment is a bit tricky.

Also check the rear wheel for sideway play.

Make sure the nut holding the caliper in place hasn't bottomed out without properly fastening the caliper. Different frames need different size nuts.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

if you are using red aerolink caliper, then the brake cable length has to be perfect

addictR1

by addictR1

alcatraz wrote:Try different brake pads and check the brake surface.

Red caliper alignment is a bit tricky.

Also check the rear wheel for sideway play.

Make sure the nut holding the caliper in place hasn't bottomed out without properly fastening the caliper. Different frames need different size nuts.
Yup checked the alignment, it’s centered. The nut is fine and torqued down to 9nm. Rear wheel is C24 tub and no side play.. using DA skewer instead of tunes. I haven’t tried a different pads yet so that might be one to do.
ChiZ01 wrote:if you are using red aerolink caliper, then the brake cable length has to be perfect
How so? I have the same caliper in my other bikes and this was the first time hearing these sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Do you feel any pulsation in the brake lever?

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I recently got something perhaps similar. Broke the frame on my good bike so i had to resurrect old one. Moved the wheels and brakes but kept old levers and cables. Rear cable is vibrating pretty badly when braking hard, seems to happen in the toptube area rather than handlebar. I tried a couple different lengths of outer end piece also a new cable, no luck. I don't think it is the pads or track since they worked fione on the other bike. I am going to try a deep cleaning on the track, maybe some toein on the pads and at some point also the other levers.

by Weenie

addictR1

by addictR1

alcatraz wrote:Do you feel any pulsation in the brake lever?
Pulsation as in when I squeeze the lever, I feel the caliper jitter? If so, no. When I squeeze it it doesn’t feel any.

One thing I noticed last night when loading my bike into car for today’s morning ride was when I squeeze on front brake lever and simulate the bike stopping hard when moved forward, I can feel the headset move slightly.

So I loosen the stem bolt and top cap bolt.. pushed down hard and pushed the fork up the steer tube, torqued down the top cap to 4nm and then tighten the stem bolt to 4.2nm.

Hopefully that was the culprit for the shuttering sound from headset.

Will see if that’s the case. Currently using Omni racer ultralight spacers, but no spacer on top of the top cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk