Garmin Edge not showing local streets

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

Guys, if i can ask for some help with my Garmin. I have the Edge 520 Plus. I have some saved locations on maps ( i understand theres no address input for navigation) and i want to use the navigation to get me to those saved points.

Now i kind of know how to do that, but as i'm navigating, it only shows literally 1 street on the map, and thats only the largest of streets. (for example, Ocean Parkway, Brooklyn) How can i get it to show at least some more details, color, more streets (even if they're not dedicated bike lanes)
It shows some pretty good color and details here from DCRainmaker:
2018 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Disc Dura-Ace
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
Look Keo Blade 2 Carbon Ti
15lb 15oz

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mag

by mag

I've got 820, but check:
Settings > Activity Profiles > (profile) > Navigation > Map
1. Map Detail
2. Map Visibility > Map Visibility Mode: Custom > Zoom Levels & Detail (this seems to mirror the Map Detail from above)
3. also go to Map Information and check which maps you've got enabled

skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

I got it: DCrainmaker is actually the man. I re-read his tips and i was using the stock "AMR" USA map. which has like 3 streets in NYC.

I followed his instructions here: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/dow ... 00810.html

i haven't gone for a ride yet, but i did go outside and loaded up a saved location or a course and it showed all my local streets and lots more detail. Much more useful for turn by turn navigation. Why doesn't garmin include this out of the box. 99% of garmin users dont know how to download a zip file, nor will they specifically look up advanced tips on how to do this.
2018 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Disc Dura-Ace
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
Look Keo Blade 2 Carbon Ti
15lb 15oz

mcfarton

by mcfarton

The simple answer is that garmin doesn’t really care about this market. I have an original 520 and it is more than I need. If it ever takes a crap I will just get the new version of it. The best apps for it are 3rd party. Check out the garmin App Store, the Xert ones are really neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk