Pick my next bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which bike would you pick?

Option 1: Tarmac Pro Rim
40%
Option 2: Tarmac Pro Disc
60%

Total votes: 67

MountainAddict

by MountainAddict

Sinicity wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:59 pm
AJS914 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:58 pm
Nice attempt to start a disc vs. rim thrash!

I say rim. I have two bikes with discs (gravel and mtb). Discs are essential for offroad but I find the maintenance to be a PITA. For my next road bike I'll probably go rim.

I don't buy that rim brakes are dissappearing. They may become a smaller portion of the market. People still ride tubulars for example - what's that .5% of the tire market?

It bugs me that hydro disc shift levers cost a small fortune. :-) Your "within $200" is not exactly equal because you had to drop down to Ultega and use a cheaper wheelset to get there.
Can you go into detail about maintenance? What kind of things do you have to do?
Well brake pads are quicker and easier to change, other than that you ocassionally need to bleed the brakes. I have to recable my internally-routed, mechanical bike FAR more often than I need to bleed the brakes on my disc bike.

Go Di2 disc and be done with it. It's as close to "set it and forget it" type maintenance as you can get.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Sinicity wrote:
Can you go into detail about maintenance? What kind of things do you have to do?
Bleeding brakes, changing pads and bleeding, truing rotors, or getting some rotor rub that simply centering the caliper doesn't fix, pistons that don't expand evenly. I've had disc brakes go flat over a winter of non use. I failed to bleed the brakes on my MTB. The bleed just didn't work. I may have to rebuild the caliper next and if that doesn't work then the master cylinder. When they work they are great but they have been a PITA for me. Admittedly, these are new skills to acquire but I still hate the dirty mess of brake fluid.

And I guess I could finally start using my local bike shop for repair.... :D

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

Sinicity wrote:
AJS914 wrote:

I say rim. I have two bikes with discs (gravel and mtb). Discs are essential for offroad but I find the maintenance to be a PITA. For my next road bike I'll probably go rim.

I don't buy that rim brakes are dissappearing. They may become a smaller portion of the market. People still ride tubulars for example - what's that .5% of the tire market?

It bugs me that hydro disc shift levers cost a small fortune. :-) Your "within $200" is not exactly equal because you had to drop down to Ultega and use a cheaper wheelset to get there.
for the past 6 month, i have lots of issue with my 8070 hydro disc, first was the piston seal slowly leaking oil, it would contaminate the pads after a few rides and the brake would squeal and have zero stopping power. The caliper was replaced but the replacement have the same moving seal piston design, so it will fail eventually. Now the master cylinder on the shifter starts to stiffen up. The lever would not reset itself after each pull. There is not way to service the master cylinder so the whole shifter has to be replaced. I never had any problem with mech rim brake for the past 10 years. Also in the dry, the stopping power is pretty much the same. I stopped riding in the rain ever since I got Tacx Neo. So the only benefit disc give me is wider tires

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

AJS914 wrote:

Well put! I totally agree with you. The Dura Ace R9100 brakes on my bike (Zipp 202 wheel) stop incredibly well. No need for silly discs on the road.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Not another one of these threads....Cue industry trolls.

Get whatever bike you want.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

sgtrobo

by sgtrobo

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:10 am
cyclotripper wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:05 am
Enve wheels suck
You are gonna have to explain that one for me.
+1
Interested to hear this statement backed up

sgtrobo

by sgtrobo

Sinicity wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:42 am
I'm trying to decide which bike to choose, would love to see what you guys think.

Option 1: Tarmac Pro Rim with parts from old bike
Frame: Tarmac Pro
Shifters/Brakes: Mech DA - 9100
Crankset/Derailuer: Mech DA - 9000
Wheels: Enve 3.4's DT240 Hubs
Cockpit: MOST Stem, S Works Aerofly II

Frame: Tarmac Pro Disc
Groupset: Full Ultegra 8070 Di2
Wheels: Roval CL 50
Cockpit: Specialized Stem, S Works Aerofly II

Net total will come within ~$200 of each other. Just curious to see what you guys would choose. More importantly - WHY!
For other decisioning factors, I ride in the Bay Area (aka no rain), enjoy the hills.
eh, not so sure about that one. You buy the Disc, you can sell the ENVEs, Mech DA for a pretty penny. Of course, I might be misunderstanding you.
Disc brakes and especially the CL50s weigh a good bit more than the ENVE/DT240s, so that is a pretty notable bump in rotational weight for those San Fran hills

Sinicity

by Sinicity

sgtrobo wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:09 am
Sinicity wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:42 am
I'm trying to decide which bike to choose, would love to see what you guys think.

Option 1: Tarmac Pro Rim with parts from old bike
Frame: Tarmac Pro
Shifters/Brakes: Mech DA - 9100
Crankset/Derailuer: Mech DA - 9000
Wheels: Enve 3.4's DT240 Hubs
Cockpit: MOST Stem, S Works Aerofly II

Frame: Tarmac Pro Disc
Groupset: Full Ultegra 8070 Di2
Wheels: Roval CL 50
Cockpit: Specialized Stem, S Works Aerofly II

Net total will come within ~$200 of each other. Just curious to see what you guys would choose. More importantly - WHY!
For other decisioning factors, I ride in the Bay Area (aka no rain), enjoy the hills.
eh, not so sure about that one. You buy the Disc, you can sell the ENVEs, Mech DA for a pretty penny. Of course, I might be misunderstanding you.
Disc brakes and especially the CL50s weigh a good bit more than the ENVE/DT240s, so that is a pretty notable bump in rotational weight for those San Fran hills
Yeah I'm aware of that. I wanted to compare prices flat out.

As for the CL50's, I think they're something like 80-100g more right? My original bike frame was a Pinarello GAN RS which I think weighs a bit more than a Tarmac Pro frame. I think ultimately in the weight will be the same as my old ride.

Thanks guys for the input! Went with the Disc Pro option, I figured I'll try discs for myself.

sgtrobo

by sgtrobo

Sinicity wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:57 am
sgtrobo wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:09 am

Yeah I'm aware of that. I wanted to compare prices flat out.

As for the CL50's, I think they're something like 80-100g more right? My original bike frame was a Pinarello GAN RS which I think weighs a bit more than a Tarmac Pro frame. I think ultimately in the weight will be the same as my old ride.

Thanks guys for the input! Went with the Disc Pro option, I figured I'll try discs for myself.
CL50s are listed as 1515g
not sure which ENVEs you have. Badass wheels though

Good call on the Disc Pro. I plan on grabbing the 2020 Expert myself and doing a few upgrades to get the weight down