MTB cassette on a road freehub

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
TonyM

by TonyM

Which spacer do I need to use in order to get a Shimano 11 speed XT cassette on a Shimano road freehub?

1.75mm, 1.85mm, 2mm??

silvalis

by silvalis

1.85mm
Chasse patate

by Weenie

Maximilian

by Maximilian

I used a 2mm spacer to fit a Shimano Deore XT M8000 cassette (11-42) with an Ultegra RX800 derailleur. I needed a Wolf tooth road link too. Shifting isn't lighting fast but then I never expected it to be. If I used more reasonable chainrings it'd be better but I wanted the range that 50/34 gave (do it all bike for Portugal, loads of stupid steep single-track). If you do something weird like me you'll need a looong chain or a section you can add in with quicklinks

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

alanyu

by alanyu

I used a 1.85mm spacer to mount 11-42T cassette on my touring bike with RS500 wheelset and ltwoo 1*11 shifter. It works perfect

CharlieBravo383

by CharlieBravo383

I cant recall exactly which spacer it was that i used, but I’m almost certain it was the 1.85.
I’m running a 11-42, 52-36 setup with oval rings, with roadlink, and di2. Shifting is superb - and generally pretty fast, though drop down from largest cog to the middle of the cassette is sometimes a bit jumpy. Mostly due to the longer chain. I curbed that by shortening it and adjusting synchro-shift to never allow the big-big combo of gears to ever happen.
Attachments
45E5EBA2-967A-414A-BB4A-3238FF1A6064.jpeg

Maximilian

by Maximilian

CharlieBravo383 wrote:I cant recall exactly which spacer it was that i used, but I’m almost certain it was the 1.85.
I’m running a 11-42, 52-36 setup with oval rings, with roadlink, and di2. Shifting is superb - and generally pretty fast, though drop down from largest cog to the middle of the cassette is sometimes a bit jumpy. Mostly due to the longer chain. I curbed that by shortening it and adjusting synchro-shift to never allow the big-big combo of gears to ever happen.
Maybe I should get hold of a 1.85mm then to see if shifting improves. Di2 will definitely play a part in it though

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

CharlieBravo383

by CharlieBravo383

Is that Box Hill in your avatar? I thoroughly enjoyed the ‘climbs’ on the Prudential this year, and with 11-42 its a piece of cake... not the fastest by all means, but definitely easy.

If i remember correctly the first time i tried the larger cassette i had a problem with the rear derailleur not being able to get into the largest gear, and i tried to tweak the bejaysus out of the screw, until i realised that i needed a spacer. Problem solved. I have a duplicate setup on my bike in Cape Town, also 11-42, with roadlink, but different frame, and i think i have a very slightly bent hanger as i struggle to get into 52-11, though getting up to 36-42 is no problem. Same spacer used.

Enjoy!

mtnbikerva1

by mtnbikerva1

I have a Litespeed GRAVEL with di2 Ultegra. The Ultegra has been one headache after another!
After taking it to multiple shops with the only result of flushing $$$$ down the toilet and days on the phone with Shimano, they couldn’t figure out why it stopped shifting in the rear or why it would start again. I then took apart the bottom bracket to get at the b junction box. I cleaned every electrical contact point including the derailleurs with contact cleaner and put on dialectric grease. It worked momentarily. Then I got the idea to try a RX di2 rear derailleur and for now it shifts. Also put a new Ulegra chain on and after about 2-4 hours of riding it failed, not at the quick link.
The Ulegra brifters/lever on the left goes all the way to the bar. I tried to bleed it. The Crapmano bleed port screw is made of faulty material because when I pulled back the rubber cover the screw was already stripped!
I cut a slot with a Dremel along with parts I didn’t want to cut due to the deep position of the screw, it’s So deep the official crapmano bleeding kit would not reach down into the port!
I just ordered the GRX di2 11 speed 2x brifers hoping the quality and ergonomics are much better.

mtnbikerva1

by mtnbikerva1

Also the ultegra derailleur needed a road link the RX doesn’t.

by Weenie