GXP Powermeter on new Canyon bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skraburski

by skraburski

Hi,
I've just ordered Canyon Ultimate and it has BB86 bottom bracket for shimano cranks.
In my old bike I have Quarq DZero Power Meter Crank for GXP bottom bracket :(

Would you change bottom bracket in new bike? Or would you rather advise selling crank and buying different power meter?
I really like this crank as it is superstiff carbon SRAM Red and I can use it with SPD pedals instead of road pedals.

Has anyone instaled token bottom bracker in carbon frame? I've one set at home and potentialy could use it but don't want to damage frame.

Regards

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boshk

by Boshk

https://www.quarq.com/product/sram-pres ... -assembly/

zero creaks so far, using Quarq dfour91 gxp.

DanielNorway

by DanielNorway

If you are happy with your crank, just change bottom bracket.

madik

by madik

skraburski wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:47 pm
Would you change bottom bracket in new bike? Or would you rather advise selling crank and buying different power meter?
I really like this crank as it is superstiff carbon SRAM Red and I can use it with SPD pedals instead of road pedals.
Changing bottom bracket is certainly the cheapest and easiest option. If you don't have the required tools and skills to do the job, take the bike to the local shop that you can trust. Its not really a complicated task.
Functionality > Performance > Weight

skraburski

by skraburski

Thank for quick answer :) I'll change BB.
Should I choose standard SRAM press fit or this token ninja which I already have at home https://www.tokenproducts.com/bottom-br ... inja/ninja ?

I know how to remove BB but don't have proper tool, so will have to visit LBS

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Im using BBInfinite BB86 GXP ABEC7. I like it better than the wheelsmfg solution as the tool/splines can ding your paint on install and the tools cost money. If you go threaded, get one socket and one wrench.

Which version of the red crank do you have? If it doesn't have a removable spider, likely your choices are pedals or a whole new crankset. I have no idea why you care about crank stiffness if you're using MTB pedals. Everycrank on the market is going to be way stiffer than your pedals/shoes. If you want to stay SRAM and don't want to pay for a quarq, your other options are Power2Max with a Force crankset or wait for the IQ2 MTB pedals.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

I don't recommend replacing a mint BB that is pressfited onto a carbon shell for nothing, especially knowing it's Canyon.

Shimano BB is kinda compatible with GXP, if you don't mind finding an aftermarket shim for the left side and a wavy washer for the right side. I've been running this set for years and had no issue, even thinking this works better in terms of durability.

Search for ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... r&_sacat=0

Note Token is among companies selling such an accessory, but I guess their adapter requires reinstallation of your BB anyway...
https://www.tokenproducts.com/bottom-br ... r-sram-gxp

addictR1

by addictR1

Just change it to hawk racing bb for gxp. Hen you can use your crank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skraburski

by skraburski

Thank you all for answers.

I already have Quarq Red Dzero crank. It Has removable spider but afaik it can't be used on other cranks :(
Because I already have it and it's very good power meter I believe it's worth to use it if possible.

I've adapter from token from gxp to Shimano but it Has to be installled from Inside and i'm not sure about removing original bb, from the other side it's standard service activity.

I don't want to start flame war if road pedals are better than mtb. There are probably hundreds of them on the web. I don't see why they should be more stiffer, but it's not the point. It just convenient for me to have one pair of good shoes (Shimano xc9) which I can use on my both bikes.

Argument about damaging paint when using screwed bb from token or similar (I.e. wheels MFG) I worth considering. Anyone has experience with that?

jlok

by jlok

I would not worry too much about the paint damage. DZero is a very reliable pm. Forget the small price to pay for lbs and get training data asap.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

ebiga

by ebiga

Hey Cemicar, could you please share what's the issue with the Canyon's? I'm interested/worried. :shock: :D
thx
Cemicar wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:17 pm
I don't recommend replacing a mint BB that is pressfited onto a carbon shell for nothing, especially knowing it's Canyon.

Shimano BB is kinda compatible with GXP, if you don't mind finding an aftermarket shim for the left side and a wavy washer for the right side. I've been running this set for years and had no issue, even thinking this works better in terms of durability.

Search for ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... r&_sacat=0

Note Token is among companies selling such an accessory, but I guess their adapter requires reinstallation of your BB anyway...
https://www.tokenproducts.com/bottom-br ... r-sram-gxp

Cemicar

by Cemicar

ebiga wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:58 am
Hey Cemicar, could you please share what's the issue with the Canyon's? I'm interested/worried. :shock: :D
thx
One user cracked the shell during the BB installation, and he even posted a thread here with a youtube link.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

skraburski wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:36 pm
Thank you all for answers.

I already have Quarq Red Dzero crank. It Has removable spider but afaik it can't be used on other cranks :(
Because I already have it and it's very good power meter I believe it's worth to use it if possible.

I've adapter from token from gxp to Shimano but it Has to be installled from Inside and i'm not sure about removing original bb, from the other side it's standard service activity.

I don't want to start flame war if road pedals are better than mtb. There are probably hundreds of them on the web. I don't see why they should be more stiffer, but it's not the point. It just convenient for me to have one pair of good shoes (Shimano xc9) which I can use on my both bikes.

Argument about damaging paint when using screwed bb from token or similar (I.e. wheels MFG) I worth considering. Anyone has experience with that?
Why can't you swap out the arms? SRAM 8-bolt carbon BB30 crank arms should work just fine. They're like $120 used on ebay or new for.... well more.

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

imho oem Canyon BB's are durable, but have a lot of drag
I replaced the BB's in both of mine with Enduro BB's
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ebiga

by ebiga

Ah yeah, a MTB, right?

I've emailed canyon about changing the bb to gxp, whether this would void the warranty. They're freaks about warranty.

On the other hand, Hambini said several times shims mess up with the power readings.
Cemicar wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:50 pm
One user cracked the shell during the BB installation, and he even posted a thread here with a youtube link.