Real world experience new sphyre road shoes in WIDE

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

itsacarr

by itsacarr

These are impossible to find. My toe box in the normal is too narrow but the rest is amazing. I hve square feet less wide at the toes.

anyone have an experience with a new pair in wide vs normal?
Just ride ..

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

https://www.bikebug.com/shimano-sh-rc90 ... 00207.html

All sizes, I wore a wide in the R321 and went back to standard with with the RC901 as they're really wide.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelB

by MichaelB

No experience with the Wide fitting, but do need shoes with a bigger toebox than some of the Euro brands like Giro, Fizik etc.

My RC900’s are good for me. Roomy toebox amd nice soft material for that extra give at the front

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

You might be a candidate for Specialized shoes? They typically have a bit of room in the toebox.

andreas

by andreas

I went from R320 wide to Sphyre 901 normal, but regretted it and swapped them for the wide ones. The standard Sphyre are a little wider than the old standard models, but not enough to make room my feet when swollen.
On a side note, they do feel slightly shorter than the old models.
I'm also missing the moldable vacuum fit of the old R320's, and the insoles were thicker/plusher as well. Going to get some custom made ones next week.
Bought mine at a sale from Bikester,

numberSix

by numberSix

Have R320 in 45 wide. Perfect fit. Recently got XC9 in 45 wide, and they are slightly narrower and the toe box seems a little smaller.

alanyu

by alanyu

Based on bikeradar, shimano's wide is actually high-volume.
https://www.bikeradar.com/features/wide ... -the-best/

Talk about my own experience:
My feet are normal width (L 250, W 90), but my foot shape is Oriental foot type, which not only needs a big toebox, but also a typical toebox shape to fit my feet.
I tried a lot of shoes during the fitting to find the best one. RC9 wide needed to be one size larger to fit my toes, resulting in everywhere else tooooo large, while RC9 normal's toebox was too narrow.
Bont normal is the closet one to my foot shape. It's still a little narrow at toebox when 'raw', but almost wonderful after heat molding. (I want another pair of shoes with a relatively softer sole than bont for long distance, however I haven't found any brands else can fit my feet.)

If your saying of square feet means Roman foot type, I will strongly recommend Bont.

addictR1

by addictR1

I have this in XC9 wide. I use to wear giro and specialized and it was too barrow for my feet.

Now my feet are in love...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upside

by upside

The Shimano WIDE shoes are only 4mm wider. I did some research and found the company Velokicks. My foot measures 12cm wide and the other wide shoes just didn't work. I sent in my foot measurements to Nick at Velokicks and he assured me they would work. I ordered a pair last winter and they are wider than the Shimanos and found to be a great shoe.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

upside wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:35 am
The Shimano WIDE shoes are only 4mm wider. I did some research and found the company Velokicks. My foot measures 12cm wide and the other wide shoes just didn't work. I sent in my foot measurements to Nick at Velokicks and he assured me they would work. I ordered a pair last winter and they are wider than the Shimanos and found to be a great shoe.
Cheers upside and thrilled to hear the VKs are functioning as we designed and intended them. Good volume, plenty of room. There are certainly plenty of good kicks out there. We're just aiming to add to that selection.

jlok

by jlok

alanyu wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:16 pm
Based on bikeradar, shimano's wide is actually high-volume.
https://www.bikeradar.com/features/wide ... -the-best/

Talk about my own experience:
My feet are normal width (L 250, W 90), but my foot shape is Oriental foot type, which not only needs a big toebox, but also a typical toebox shape to fit my feet.
I tried a lot of shoes during the fitting to find the best one. RC9 wide needed to be one size larger to fit my toes, resulting in everywhere else tooooo large, while RC9 normal's toebox was too narrow.
Bont normal is the closet one to my foot shape. It's still a little narrow at toebox when 'raw', but almost wonderful after heat molding. (I want another pair of shoes with a relatively softer sole than bont for long distance, however I haven't found any brands else can fit my feet.)

If your saying of square feet means Roman foot type, I will strongly recommend Bont.
If you like Bont but want a softer ride, try CX237 Wide.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

BigPoser

by BigPoser

I have them in wide and I love them. I researched shoes for a long time and narrowed it down to Lake, Bont and the Sphyre's. My previous shoes were the R171 in wide as well and the Sphyre's were an easy transition. My feet are pretty wide and they work extremely well. I've never had any numbness or hot spots even after 8 hours on the bike. Love them!

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I’ve used several shoes, including the POS custom D2, and nothing to this day has felt as good for my flat and wide feet like the Sphyre. I bought some insoles to replace the ones that came with it due to my very flat arches, but later replaced them with custom insoles. They are perfect now. Bought an extra pair as I’m
Sure that now that I like them and for me well they’ll change the fitting!!

**Note about custom insoles for most cycling shoes and especially the Sphyre. Cycling shoes are not flat on the inside and most manufacturers of insoles are not very knowledgeable about the shape of cycling shoes EVEN when they have a “cycling model”. I had to send back my custom insoles to be reshaped for the inside of the shoe. They are awesome now!!

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I came from Bont wide size 40.5 to Sphyre RC9 (900 not 901) size 40 wide.
On the Bont, i have issue with left foot. Even after heat molding 3 times, my left foot behind 5th metatarsal ( behind ball of the foot at pinky toe side) crash into Bont's stiff sidewall. The toe width is plenty but i just have problem there. I feel it touch just a little bit each time i wear. But it feel so much worse after hours of riding in heat. I wonder if Asian fit Bont would fit me better than Wide Bont... Haven't try one yet.

On the Sphyre RC9,although the carbon base is narrower than bont, there isn't a stiff sidewall my left foot can crash into. Therefore i have no such problem. It is much more comfortable for my wide feet.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I'll second the info on the length sizing, I was a 43 in the 320 and 321, but had to go up to a 43.5 in the RC901. I tried the 43 but there was no way. I'm fine in regular width, my biggest fit issue is that I have a high arch and very high instep. It's taken me some time to learn the optimal tension on the BOA, as my right foot in particular is very sensitive to overtightening.

Otherwise the RC901 are fabulous shoes, I have them in blue and they look great after a few months use. Probably my first non-white shoes in the last 20 years, and they clean up after a dusty or rainy ride with just a quick wipe. I love the sole stiffness, and the venting is good but on the hottest days I wish they had just a bit more on the top. The sole itself is very well vented.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com