shift cables to lube or not to lube

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JoO

by JoO

I have read the excellent thread by Calnago about his build of his colnago C60. (multiple times even)
I noticed that he lubes his shifitng cables with shimano cable grease.

What are the opinions about lubing the shifting cables?
I haven't done it in the past because I read (or imagined) that it would not be a good idea to mix FTPE in the housing and cable grease.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zinedrei

by zinedrei

haven't lubed my Nokon shifter cables ever since and have not had any issues for the past couple of years

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmm, I guess I do it because the stuff is so slick that, why not. Mind you, I’m using stainless steel cables, versus the Shimano coated cables where the fuzzy coating always rubs off. I probably wouldn’t use it there because I would imagine that fuzz getting mixed in with any grease etc would just turn into a coagulated mess. So, like always, it depends. Campagnolo always used to “pre-grease” their derailleur housings. I’m not sure if that’s still the case with their newest “Maximum Smoothness” cables (maybe I’ll slice one open to check). But the new cables are thankfully not the same type of fuzzy coating they Shimano has (when I first heard about the new cables they was my first thought). The new cables seem almost impregnated with a “coating” all the way through but doesn’t seem to just scrape off from friction like the Shimano cables.
Anyway, I think it’s up to you. I know my cable runs are always pretty friction free, so anything that might aid that is a plus in my mind. Just think about how sealed it all is, and whether the grease may attract dirt etc which could increase friction rather than decrease it. Such as exposed and open ended Teflon liner used to get around bottom bracket shells etc.
Truthfully, when I glide a cable through an unrouted housing, it seems pretty friction free so I do wonder how much the grease helps, if any. But I’ve never noticed anything negative from doing it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MikeD

by MikeD

I bought some Teflon tubing on eBay to be used as a cable liner. To my surprise, an unlubed stainless steel cable had a lot of friction when I moved the cable through the liner. I put Shimano SP41 grease in the cables, and friction was reduced markedly. The only cables I won't grease are cables like Gore Tex or Jagwire Road Elites. Even those black coated Teflon coated cable, I will lube.

Be careful with what lube you use, as it can deteriorate the plastic cable housing liner. That's why I use Shimano SP41 grease, as it's silicone grease and won't degrade the cable liner, and is made for the purpose.
Last edited by MikeD on Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alanyu

by alanyu

DA housings are actually pre-lubed by shimano cable grease, and acorrding to my classmate, progold luber is better than shimano's.
Last edited by alanyu on Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I lube them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I use Rock n roll caes magic on stainless cables but generally not when they are new unless friction is real issue.

The new maximum smoothness cables are so slick they don't need extra lubrication. They in time to extend there life though.

I don't use shimano cables I'd rather substitute transfer stainless cables with some cable magic. That last ger and is as icky initially as shitmanos rubbish. I generally like shimano equipment but not there cables which are garbage.

posaunemeister

by posaunemeister

I don't anymore, especially for external routing. Attracts too much dust/dirt. I've had good luck with Ultegra R8000 shift/brake cable sets and hardware.
"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." - Abraham Joshua Heschel

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com