recommend an alloy frameset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

posaunemeister

by posaunemeister

Lewn777 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:06 am
posaunemeister wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:30 am
Scott Speedster
Seems like a heavy beginner bike with an alloy fork. Actually not a dealbreaker as the OEM fork could be a good spare for flights and travelling with an aftermarket carbon for normal road riding.
I use a 2010 Scott Speedster with a full carbon 2016 Scott CR1 fork. I had the frame refinished and it rides like a Ti frame - no kidding. Frame isn't lightweight though -- 1,500g in a 58cm
"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." - Abraham Joshua Heschel

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hwyix

by hwyix

robertbb wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:45 pm
BMC team machine ALR has a BSA Threaded Bottom Bracket.

Looks like it comes with the high grade Teammachine SLR01 fork too....

28mm tyre clearance.

Possible drawback are the dropped stays and that big join around the top tube and seat tube similar to the CAAD13...

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/models/ ... 01822.html

Anyone know the weight of 2022 teammachine ALR frameset?

I emailed BMC requesting this information they just came back with :/
Hello Sean, Thanks for reaching out to BMC! We dont have exact weight specifications for many of our current model bikes. However, a target weight for a complete Teammachine ALR2 is around 25lbs. Please, let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!
-Your BMC Switzerland Team
-Gus

hwyix

by hwyix

If the teammachine alr 2 size med weighs close to 1600 g I would just get a topstone alloy bike because it has a threaded bb and more tire clearance.

Hopefully it weighs closer to 1200g.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=153130&start=15
DamonRinard wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:22 pm
TheKaiser wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:37 pm
Anyone have any info on the weights of these babies? The build kits are pretty pedestrian (understandably for the great price), but I'd still like to know weights for the complete bikes, and perhaps more revealingly, the frame and fork. The alloy isn't as fancy as the alloy used on the CAAD12 frame, plus it'll have extra reinforcements for roughter terrain and touring gear, so i'm not expecting too much. Just want to know is it "not bad", all things considered, or "OMG my full suss mountain bike weighs less than that" sort of poundage.

Come on Damon, hook us up with some of your inside info!
Frame weight:
Size, Unpainted frame weight*
XS 1370 g
S 1460 g
M 1560 g
L 1630 g
XL 1700 g
*Add approx. 70-100g for paint

Fork weight:
- 460g with uncut steerer.
- Full carbon fork. This is the fork from the CAADX.

As you hoped, Topstone uses a lot of the Cannondale aluminum technology from the stiff, comfortable and light CAAD12, but obviously with a different alloy and use in mind, adds a little more weight, but not much. It's tougher, yet lighter, than many alloy road frames. :-)

And the full carbon fork (from the CAADX cyclocross bike) is sweet, where some other gravel bikes have a mixed carbon/alloy combination.

Cheers,
Damon

hwyix

by hwyix

This was the only thing I could find on the weight of the frame.
1250g painted
405 g fork

https://bikerumor.com/bmc-teammachine-a ... ble-alloy/

Built to be a more budget friendly road racer, the new Teammachine ALR looks to be a big step up in terms of integration and ride feel, compared to the previous alloy model. With disc brake frames around 1250g (54cm painted, plus a 405g fork) and rim brake frames around 1165g (54cm painted, plus a 375g fork), riders won’t be sacrificing much in terms of weight with the aluminum bikes.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

I quite like that frame set. I think it could be be built up into a great looking bike.