Bontrager Montrose saddle carbon rails?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wilwil

by wilwil

After having a pressure mapping bike fit I am trying a Montrose saddle in a narrow width with Ti rails. Unfortunately the carbon rail version comes with a warning to only to be used with Bontrager seat post due to the 10 mm deep rails that could break with any other seat post causing severe injury or death! Rails on most other saddles are 9mm I think. Its very odd that they've made a saddle that can only be used on a Trek. Is anybody using this saddle on a Colnago seatpost with no problems?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You’re fine with the way the Colnago clamp works. It loads from top and bottom, not the sides. If it was a side loading clamp for 7mm round rails then you’d want to get more appropriate “ears”. For example, Trek’s clamps are sideloading and hence they have ears for both 7mm round rails and the taller 7x10mm Carbon rails. The key always when determining whether a seat clamp is appropriate for the rails you’re using is to look for potential stress risers, such as would be the case if the edge of a clamp was gouging into the rail versus wrapping around it.
Last edited by Calnago on Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

hlvd

by hlvd

I've both those saddles and I find the carbon version more comfortable, hope it fits for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alanyu

by alanyu

Normal up-down clamp is compatible with 7mm round, 7*9 oval, 7*9.8 and 7*10 trail, while left-right clamp is specific.

wilwil

by wilwil

hlvd wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:52 pm
I've both those saddles and I find the carbon version more comfortable, hope it fits for you.

I rode 106 miles on it yesterday and found it very uncomfortable. Feels very rigid. Is there a break in period?

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Don’t know if your bum needs time to get used to a new saddle...bums are unique to owner

My experience of saddles, including the Montrose, is that either they’re comfortable from the word go, or I hate them straight away, Bontrager Paradigm, Fizik Arione
Maybe it’s not for you

Which saddle were you using before?
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

hlvd

by hlvd

wilwil wrote:
hlvd wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:52 pm

I rode 106 miles on it yesterday and found it very uncomfortable. Feels very rigid. Is there a break in period?
In my experience saddle comfort is a lot to do with position, setup and how tired your legs are.
I find once I get tired I'm sitting more on the saddle and my legs aren't supporting my weight as much, so becomes uncomfortable.
I doubt there's a break in period but tweaking the position always helps, I even use that saddle for 1 hour sessions on Zwift.

Hope you find your ideal position.

Geodroid

by Geodroid

oh wow i didnt know this. I got a bontrager seat mast with my emonda but seems like it officially only supports 7mm rails. I was planning to get a montrose carbon but not gonna risk it. Gonna go with specialized I guess, death by failed seat sounds really really bad for a straight male.

hlvd

by hlvd

Geodroid wrote:oh wow i didnt know this. I got a bontrager seat mast with my emonda but seems like it officially only supports 7mm rails. I was planning to get a montrose carbon but not gonna risk it. Gonna go with specialized I guess, death by failed seat sounds really really bad for a straight male.
Hi, you buy the different wings for the carbon post on the seat mast, stock wings are for the standard round 7mm rails.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Geodroid wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:59 am
oh wow i didnt know this. I got a bontrager seat mast with my emonda but seems like it officially only supports 7mm rails. I was planning to get a montrose carbon but not gonna risk it. Gonna go with specialized I guess, death by failed seat sounds really really bad for a straight male.
You've got it the wrong way round.

With the stock 7mm rail clamps on your Bonty seatmast you can't use any ovalised carbon railed saddle, Bonty or otherwise. If you change the clamp ears to Bonty's 7x10 carbon clamp you are safer using a Bontrager carbon saddle than a Specialized (or any other) carbon saddle because it will fit perfectly and the others with their 7x9mm rails wouldn't.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You can also get 7x9mm ears from Trek to fit Specialized 7x9mm saddle rails. Your choice of ears for the Bontrager seatmast are 7x7 round, 7x9mm (Specialized saddles etc), or 7x10mm (Bontrager Carbon rails).
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wilwil

by wilwil

Squashednuts wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:49 am
Don’t know if your bum needs time to get used to a new saddle...bums are unique to owner

My experience of saddles, including the Montrose, is that either they’re comfortable from the word go, or I hate them straight away, Bontrager Paradigm, Fizik Arione
Maybe it’s not for you

Which saddle were you using before?
Selle Italia SLR S2 which wasn't that comfy. It was sagging in the middle apparently and putting pressure on all the wrong places. Before that a Romin which is a bit too wide. I have extremely narrow sit bones. The Montose is set up level in the middle.

Geodroid

by Geodroid

Glad I learned this today, montrose carbon rail seat is one of my planned upgrades in the near future, thanks guys!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

With the Bontrager ears...

7x7 = only ever use with round rails.
7x9 = only ever use with 7x9 rails.
7x10 = ideally used with 7x10 rails, but will work with 7x9 rails when approaching max recommended torque (16n-m on the single-bolt system of the Emonda, 10n-m on the two-bolt system of the Madone and new Domane.) I haven’t encountered any slippage at 13n-m with the Emonda. With the Madone I had one instance of slip, but that’s to do with the other bolt and not which ears I’m using. Carbon grip paste dealt with that.

fastezzie

by fastezzie

The Montrose Elite/Pro saddles are hard as a rock. I have two - came on my bikes - and find them awful. A former teammate and current pro cyclist has used the same saddle for three years and lives on the bike, even swapping it over from his Trek team to a Specialized bike last year. To each his own!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com