My home brewed Campagnolo SRM chain catcher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I didn't want to start cutting threads on the front EPS derailleur to make the K Edge fit catch with magnet work for the SRM, so I came up with this...
I (in)conveniently ordered the wrong catcher for my EPS 12spd (SR003) vs the required SR203.
I already had the SR203 installed on the bike getting the SRM, and had an old K Edge SRM magnet system laying around not being used, so I figured we'd put the 003 to use.. the 203 catcher part has a spine down the back of it which would make mounting the magnet fromthe K Edge rather difficult, if not impossible since you can't mount it in the middle.. the 003 part is entire flat like the K Edge... so basically lined up K Edge with Campy 003, drilled some holes with a #40 drill bit, and tapped with a 4-40.. lucky I work for an airline and got some nice short 4-40 screws from the guys there.. and well here we have it! Now I can use the Campy catcher EPS mount from the 203 system with the 003 catcher with addition of the magnet...
I wouldnt do this if I didn't have the parts laying around, would turn into a rather expensive chain catcher as you need 3 to make 1...

robertbb

by robertbb

ParisCarbon wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:04 am
lucky I work for an airline and got some nice short 4-40 screws from the guys there.. and well here we have it!
As a public service announcement, you should advise WW's which airline you work for so we can avoid flying with them.

Better the wing falls off the plane, than your chain comes off your bike :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Meant to post the follow up sooner, but here is the install...
A few things I ran into ... the newer 203 mounting bracket is not compatible with the 003 chain catcherwhere it fits in...so I had ro revert to just using the 003 setup that doesnt allow individual adjustment of the catcher and FD.. it took a few more mins to setup, but in the end, its working great, and I didnt need to hack threads off the EPS FD or start sanding down bolts to fit...

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Cool! I have to mount a chain catcher for my EPS. I only drop chains when I'm on agressive rides and can't lighten the pedal stroke for the front shift during a climb because it's going to cause problems for the person on my wheel. Otherwise, I never drop my chain.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Hmmm I wonder if there's a Cofidis or SRM tech lurking... exact copy of what I did LOL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Fine work!
Never cheer before you know who is winning