Where to lose weight as struggling

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Hoops72

by Hoops72

Good morning

I was hoping to utilise the gurus on here to help me lose some weight on my Giant TCR adv pro it currently weighd 7.6 kilos and I would love to get it under 7.

Here is my spec

Giant TCR Adv Pro Frame and Fork
Ultegra di2 2017
Giant connect handle bars
Giant connect SL stem
Fizik Arione Saddle
Dura-Ace R9100 C24 Clincher Wheelset
Michelin Lithion 2 23 tyres
Conti tubes
Garmin vector 3 pedals
Cant remember what bar tape
Elite Custom Race Resin Stealth Bottle Cage

Thanks in advance for any advice

Dave

by Weenie

zinedrei

by zinedrei

what's the weight on the stem and bar?
may want to consider these first and choose a lighter alternative depending on your budget.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Hey, What’s your budget as they may influence the advice your given
Fuji SL 5.6kg / 6.01kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Focus Izalco Max Disc - Final Weight 6.7kg - http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

peted76

by peted76

Some easy wins:

Kalloy Uno Stem is about the lightest aluminum one which people seem to like - cheap and cheerful, remove logo's with acetone.
Replace your 80gram stock headset with the Giant Aircap OD2 Expander System which weighs 7 or 17grams.
Conti 'lightweight' tubes are only a hair over 50g's each if you're using standard tubes, you'll save another 50g there.
Your saddle is a bit porky at 225grams.. you can save 50g's here and not need to go exotic
Handlebars.. probably an easy enough 50gram saving here too with little outlay
Change your stock wheel QR skewers for some savings, but can be pricey for decent ones (don't by cheap or flimsy, try to stick with internal cam skewers)

Probably 300 grams saved for minimum outlay.

talltales

by talltales

"Michelin Lithion 2 23 tyres "

Replacing your tyres will do much more for speed than loosing a few hundred grams. Compared to GP 5000 there is up to about 10W (!) to be saved, depending on speed, and that in turn, is equivalent to loosing several pounds from the bike ...

Example: 5% slope, 200W, 77Kg total weight = 15.04 km/h. 5% slope, 205W, 79Kg total weight = 15.06 km/h. - > Translation: Saving 5W rolling resistance on a 5% slope is about equal to loosing 2kg (!) or about 4 lbs from the bike ...

food for thought

eric01

by eric01

How heavy is your current bar & stem? Not familiar with the Giant range. You can get a 190-200g carbon bar at a moderate price if you shop around for sales. Stem can be 100-110g for the Kalloy uno.

Also how about your saddle? Is it steel rails? Move up in the range and you can drop 50g +/-

Tires as previously mentioned might be your biggest bang for buck.
AX Lightness Vial Evo, Carl Strong Titanium

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Bar/stem/seatpost/compression plug/inner tubes/skewers/brake calipers/saddle/cassette/cable housings.

moyboy

by moyboy

bar and stem for sure! and the compress plug while you're at it. :)

addictR1

by addictR1

I find it the easiest way is to first understand the weight of your current components, put it on an excel, and then check on fairwheelbikes for components with weights listed so you can see how much weight saving and/or how much your wallet pain can endure.

Frankie - B
Administrator

by Frankie - B

stem is probably going to be a bit harder then slapping a kalloy uno on there as, iirc, giant uses their own 1 1/4 headset standard. just like Canyon .
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
Please follow me on Instagram

skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

supersonics + gp4000/gp5000 would be your best bang for buck
Handlebar (lightweight alloy or carbon) + Deda traforator (29g) handlebar tape would be good also
Garmin pedals? how much do they weigh, Look Keo Blade Carbon are slightly over 200g / pair.
Iono what bottle cages those are, but i got 2x carbon bottle cages from china on amazon (pergear) for $26. 17g/ea
2018 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Disc Dura-Ace
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
Look Keo Blade 2 Carbon Ti
15lb 15oz

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Hoops72 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:46 am
Good morning

I was hoping to utilise the gurus on here to help me lose some weight on my Giant TCR adv pro it currently weighd 7.6 kilos and I would love to get it under 7.

Here is my spec

Giant TCR Adv Pro Frame and Fork
Ultegra di2 2017
Giant connect handle bars
Giant connect SL stem
Fizik Arione Saddle
Dura-Ace R9100 C24 Clincher Wheelset
Michelin Lithion 2 23 tyres
Conti tubes
Garmin vector 3 pedals
Cant remember what bar tape
Elite Custom Race Resin Stealth Bottle Cage

Thanks in advance for any advice

Dave
I am assuming you keep the frame.

The big bang for your buck in the groupset is the crank and casette. The rest is marginal differences.

Those wheels are shimano... so they are heavy. You can shave 200g+ easy from them even with clinchers.

Saddle, post, stem, bars are easy fodder for weight. Now, giant likes propietary steerer sizes and posts... so not sure where you can go from there. Bars and saddle for sure.

Skewers, headsets, elite fly bottles, carbon cages, all add up.

But in the end, your wheels, crank, casette, bars, seatpost, and saddle are where it is at. Stem too if you can find one that works.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

RocketRacing wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:57 am
Those wheels are shimano... so they are heavy. You can shave 200g+ easy from them even with clinchers.
...? Have you done any research at all in to the weight of them?

by Weenie