Short reach aero handlebar recommendations

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

my 3t Ernova Team:
Weight: 195 grams (42cm)
Clamp: 31.8mm ø
Material: Carbon fibre
Drops flare by 6°
Drop: 123mm
Reach: 77mm

Finish: UD matt black
Constant-thickness carbon-fibre

https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/3t-e ... 16066.html
2018 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Disc Dura-Ace
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
Look Keo Blade 2 Carbon Ti
15lb 15oz

by Weenie

FlemishCompact

by FlemishCompact

Ritchey WCS Carbon Streem

Drop/Reach
40cm = 124/70mm
42cm = 126/70mm
44cm = 128/70mm

moonoi

by moonoi

TurboTommy wrote:
Thanks that’s very useful. I’m thinking about putting them on a c64 and the headtube angle to your c1 Tere looks very close. Interesting that you have the concept, because I was wondering if I could make it work with the spacers that come with the bars and the propriety headset spacer that comes with the concept.
It should look fine, the bars come with a 5mm curved spacer that match with a "normal" setup, so it doesn't look odd like some can.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

alarett

by alarett

Do these have internal routing? The website says it does but I don't see any holes for it in the product photos.
cyclenutnz wrote:
Miles253 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:47 am
Very clever, great spot thank you.
Full disclosure - I designed the bar...
PD was going to do one with a sharp tailed airfoil but I killed that ideal in favour of a kamm shape as it's more comfortable and meant that the wing didn't stick out behind the clamp area (because knees against bars are not great).

Kanga

by Kanga

I've just started using the Blktec R1 aero handlebars, 68.6mm reach. Also internally routed including compatible with the EW-RS910 Di2 junction box which was the main reason why I went with it. Aero, short reach, fully internally routed down to the bar ends.
https://www.blktec.com/component/bars/r1/

Gary71

by Gary71

Kanga wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:00 am
I've just started using the Blktec R1 aero handlebars, 68.6mm reach. Also internally routed including compatible with the EW-RS910 Di2 junction box which was the main reason why I went with it. Aero, short reach, fully internally routed down to the bar ends.
These look promising....., it's a pity they don't have any other pictures on there website other than the one posted here.
Do you have any more comments about their fit, finish or performance. There is nothing on their website about the drop or if they are flared at the drops. It appears so from the one picture, but angles can be deceiving.
You should do a write up - vibration, flex and comfort in use......., I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Miles253

by Miles253

I would be interested in hearing a write up too, as I've not heard if them before.

They sound perfect though.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Specialized S-Works Venge | in progress
Rose Backroad | 9kg
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.5kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

alarett wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:45 am
Do these have internal routing? The website says it does but I don't see any holes for it in the product photos.
Yes
aeroa.jpg
http://www.speedtheory.co.nz
http://www.velogicfit.com - 3D Motion Capture and Frame Finder Software

Kanga

by Kanga

Miles253 & Gary71 yeah no probs I'll write something up over the weekend. The lack of info on the website is definitely hurting them.

Kanga

by Kanga

Gary71 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:36 am
Kanga wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:00 am
These look promising....., it's a pity they don't have any other pictures on there website other than the one posted here.
Do you have any more comments about their fit, finish or performance. There is nothing on their website about the drop or if they are flared at the drops. It appears so from the one picture, but angles can be deceiving.
You should do a write up - vibration, flex and comfort in use......., I would be interested to hear your thoughts.
Miles253 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:02 am
I would be interested in hearing a write up too, as I've not heard if them before.

They sound perfect though.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

So heads up on me. I'm not a weight weenie but I love browsing all the builds and peoples innovative problem solving solutions here. Anyway yeah I won't lie, I was half expecting blk-tec to blow up in my face as I'd not heard of them either but so far I'm really liking the bar and stem that I bought.

The handle bars ticked all the boxes on paper. I was looking for something aero with a 70mm reach and would accept the Di2 junction box bar end. I had my heart set on the Zipp SL-70's but after contact zipp they said they wouldn't work. I did a bit of research and found some people saying they had broken through the bladders with brake cables to make them work but I didn't want to risk potentially pulling the bladder off and some of the resin with it.

I can't remember how I found blk-tec but ended up contacting them on a whim. The communication with them was actually stellar. They answered all my questions and even sent me some blueprints of one of there stems so I could see the measurements. I also did a bit of stalking on instagram and found that a lot of there products were being used by track cyclist and fix gear riders so I figured they must be stiff.

The one hiccup I had in the ordering process is that when I ordered my bars from trevs cycle shop they actually sent me an incorrect set. The cable routing exit came through the center off the stem clamp area for a complete internal routing setup. I'm talking about where the cables would be routed through the stem such as with the new Cannondale supersixs. We managed to get it sorted out and I was sent a new set. This had exit routing holes through the stem clamp area as well as the underside of the bars.
Again this is where they let them selves down. They have all these different build options for there handlebars but f*cked if you can find any information on the website.

Flex So far I really can't fault them. I'm a 90kg rider, I've done some all out sprint practice on them and haven't found any problems with flex. As far as carbon handlebars go I can only compare them to the older gen Cervelo aero AB04 bars and can just say they feel stiffer.
Vibration, I'm not noticing any but I'll also caveat that with the fact that I've got a carbon stem as well which may help mitigate any such issues.
Comfort wise on the drops and hoods it's been great. I've been able to set my self up where I can utilise my shifters much better then the old cervelo aero bars. I don't think there is any flare on the bars from my measurements but I'll also say I haven't had any bar/wrist interference when out of the saddle on the drops like I've had with other bars. Maybe because of the shorter reach? I will how ever say that the cervelo aero bars were more comfortable on the tops. In retrospect I think its because like the SL-70 Ergo bars they have a slight back sweep which gets your wrists in a comfortable position.
Weight ... sorryyyyy but I'm not a real weight weenie so I didn''t weight them ... but light? Definitely lighter then the cervelo aero bars but thats to be expected given how much less material there is. Quick look at the blk-tec website says 210 grams. As per usual for them though it's lacking information and doesn't say what size bar that is
Finish wise there is nothing to take note of. Pretty much on par of what I would expect with any other high end bar. I shone a torch inside and had a quick peak and didn't notice any excess resin pooling in the small bits I could see.

To sum up they get my seal of approval with the caveat to contact them first to make sure you get what you want. If anything comes up with them over some proper longer rides I'll post up but with what I've experienced so far I'd be surprised ... Sh*t this post ended up being a lot longer then I expected.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

Thank you for the write up. Generally manufacturers give the weight of the smallest bar, frame, seat post diameter as their published weight. Not all but many.

PS I’m liking the Pro Vibe Aero for a potential new build for me.
RESIDENT GRUMPY OLD MAN.

Gary71

by Gary71

Thanks Kanga - I apprecitate your post and comments.

They are on the short list for purchase & will likely end up on the next project build.

BmanX

by BmanX

Following
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5960g/13.13 lbs

Miles253

by Miles253

A great write up Kanga, thanks. Sounds like I should get in contact with them

I've got myself a nice short list of options now, top work everyone!
Specialized S-Works Venge | in progress
Rose Backroad | 9kg
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.5kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Hey Miles I’ve just sent you a pm

by Weenie