Tarmac Sport SL6 - weight savings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Vingleik

by Vingleik

Just finished upgrading my Tarmac Sport (58cm) Bought it as it was a fairly cheap option compared to the Comp and Expert, and wanted to build and upgrade it myself. Mostly to learn how to actually do it.

List of upgrades I’ve done so far:
Pro Vibe bar and stem (100mm x 40cm). Not the lightest option, but wanted alu stem and bar, and liked the reach and drop of the bar.

Ultegra 8070/6870 mix. Derailleurs and battery is from the old 6870-series taken of my previous bike, and added 8000-series brakes, crank (175 mm 52-36) and levers. Left side crank is Specialized ultegra power meter. DA disc rotors.

Bike came with some heavy DT Swiss, put on a pair of CL50s. Not the lightest option, but wanted deep section rims and the CLX is fairly expensive. Weight savings on the clx wasn’t worth the price difference with my budget.

Heavy parts that needs changing is obviously saddle (Specialized Toupé Sport weighs an astonishing 360g) and pedals (old Shimano 105 feels like 10kg). Calculated a saving of about 350g on those two parts.

As it’s currently set up it weighs in at 8,3kg. Which is a lot. Obviously I’m not a huge weightweenie, but I would like to explore the weight savings world without going totally bankrupt.

I’m 185 cm and 68kg, so there’s not a lot of weight to shave off there.

sgtrobo

by sgtrobo

hey, that's a sweet build without breaking the bank. The CL50s are pretty darned good for a deep section aero wheel for the $$$ and weight
Never realized the Toupe was that heavy, holy mackeral!!! 0.o

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vingleik

by Vingleik

Thanks! Yeah, went for the cheaper option when having some of the parts from a previous bike. Great value in doing the upgrades myself.

The Sport version of the Toupé is about £20. Why they fitted something like that on something else than the cheapest entry bikes, I have no clue.

Toupé expert weights a decent 150-ish grams. Lot to save for not the most expensive option.

silvalis

by silvalis

Are those the composite 105 pedals PD5700C?
They aren't heavy. 37g more than Dura ace pd9100.
Chasse patate

octave

by octave

love the color! sorry not anything else to say but that.

oh and 68kg at 185cm!? chapeau!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Js2

by Js2

Saddle has to go imo, that's a boat anchor right there.

Bottle cage => Tune wassertrager 2.0 (@10-12g each~ i believe)
Dura ace pedals will save you a little bit

Anyway 68kg at 185 cm is already a ton of weight savings. Congrats on the bike :)

Vingleik

by Vingleik

octave wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:33 am
love the color! sorry not anything else to say but that.
Thanks. One of the reasons why I chose the Sport vs Comp.

silvalis wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:13 am
Are those the composite 105 pedals PD5700C?
They aren't heavy. 37g more than Dura ace pd9100.
I belive it's the old PD-550. Had to use some old ones until I decide if I go for speedplay or Shimano. Internet says 310 g for the pair. I believe the new Ultegra ones are 250 and DA 230?

bruno2000

by bruno2000

As said before, saddle, pedal and maybe seatpost?
Not much more to shave off, unless you are prepared to spend the money.
Maybe the Ultegra crank can be replaced by a Rotor Aldhu+?

Vingleik

by Vingleik

Yep. Hopefully that will at least get me sub 8kg. Which, let’s be honest, isn’t great.

Will stick to Ultegra. I can’t justify the cost vs weight penalty.

Boshk

by Boshk

Very nice build!

You don't really have much options left to 'reduce weight'
-As you said, your di2 is pretty much set........maybe DA cassette but they are $$$.
-Saddle....this maybe a huge weight saving but it will cost you...Berks Lupina 90g saddle
-Pedal...ultegra are I think 260g
-Tires and inner tubes maybe...
-Stem to a Deda Superleggero 100m ...110g but its carbon

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

worth looking into latex inner tubes or even run tubeless.

try Elite Fly series bottles too, fair abit ligther than the tacx design.

also, are u willing to give up performance for lightness, if so, try lighter disc rotors like KCNC ones.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Boshk wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:04 am
-Stem to a Deda Superleggero 100m ...110g but its carbon
No, it's alloy.

Aquadad

by Aquadad

First post, excuse me if I get the format wrong.

This is a great looking build! Looks like the best looking and most practical performing mix of upgrades. Let us know how the saddle and pedals go.

So, I'm having the exact same issues with my SL6 Comp in a 56cm. It's full Ultegra 8020 mechanical with upgraded Roval C38 and Turbo cotton tyres.

Currently sitting at 8.1kg and I'd like to see it at 7.6kg, like my old rim brake bike! :noidea: . I was so surprised the extra weight wasn't in the stock wheels and tyres. Just totally surprised at the weight difference between the SWORKS builds on WW and the Comp.

There seems to be 30-70g extra to every component and +350g in the frame.

I'm not usually too Weenie but tipping 8kg made me gip.

Thank for reading.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

You're gonna love it when you switch that saddle out! You'll think your saddle isn't even there the moment you stand on the pedals! A lot of good suggestions, most of its marginal now since you've done most all the big stuff. Some latex or ultra lightweight butyl tubes. 23mm front tire and 25mm rear. The 23mm will provide you some aero gains and a few grams. The Elite Flyweight bottles are like a feature, plus look so euro!

Welcome to the skinny club. 192cm 70kg :beerchug:

MountainAddict

by MountainAddict

I'd swap the junction box under the stem for the bar end junction. Probably will gain a handful of grams, but aesthetically it'll make the bike look a lot nicer. Heat shrink the Di2 cables to the brake cables and you'll have a super clean cockpit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com