Disc or Rim brakes on upcoming Field Cycles Stainless steel frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brendanfoo

by brendanfoo

Hi folks,

I have been on the wait-list for a bespoke Field Cycles frame for almost 2 years now. I am still confused as to what set up I should have on it. I am not sure if I should go for a Disc brake setup or a rim brake one. My concern with going with rim brakes is that eventually, my options to top-end groupsets and wheelsets will become limited or even non-existent as disc brakes become the golden standard. On the other hand, I dislike the greater mechanical complication, heavier weight and greater costs of disc brakes.

Please advice me on what should be the best option. This is a difficult decision to make considering how long I have to wait for the frame.

jlok

by jlok

Don't worry about it. Rim brake is here to stay for a long time.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I hope rim brakes will stick around for a while just like tubular tires . When rim brakes are gone I’ll be on an eBike with disks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrfish

by mrfish

Rim brakes.

Bought my new custom steel road bike with rim brakes in January. There is no significant braking disadvantage. I’m happy with my AC3 Shamals in the mountains, and even today when it poured they were no worse than Aluminium rims, and certainly much better than disc brakes which had not been touched for 4000km.

For me the main advantage is that the bike looks like a proper bike, not some sort of newfangled gravel or aero bike. If you want discs buy and Open UP or Venge. Tempted by both myself...

nickf

by nickf

Only get disc if you need the tire clearance. Custom steel looks class with calipers. It will be awhile before mechanical levers disappear. Eventually sure, but my new style sram red 10 speed keeps up just fine. I have a English in the works soon and yes I'm swapping over that 10 speed red group with external cables to boot. There is absolutely no advantage to "upgrade".

muti

by muti

One month ago,Giant released their new high end Cadex wheels both for rim and disc(and tubular and tubeless as a matter of fact).Especially their rim brake version with a new high temperature resin.Given Giant's position in the global market,this speaks a lot about the future.If e.g. Giant wants both braking systems for their new TCR,Shimano delivers both.On the contrary of what cycling"journalists" are preaching,rim brakes will be here for a long time.Just hours ago,a rim brake bike won the Tour.The new "trend"will be about freedom of choice,as the disc brake card didn't go that well( even held back consumers because of this uncertainty).So back to your inital question,buy what serves YOU the best and don't worry about availability.
Last edited by muti on Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

muti wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:44 pm
The new "trend"will be about freedom of choice,as the disc brake card didn't go that well( even hold back consumers because of this uncertainty).So back to your inital question,buy what serves YOU the best and don't worry about availability.

You can say some rim brake bikes will stick around for years, but you can’t say then ”trend” is freedom of choice. The new Domane is disc only. The next Emonda will be disc only, and while I’m not 100% certain, presumably the next Madone will be disc only as well. The Scott Addict is disc-only. The Venge is disc-only. The Focus Izalco Max is disc-only, etc.

Last year, Trek acquiesced and released a rim-brake Madone SLR. Virtually no one bought it...not enough to justify its existence anyway. The rim-brake model is being closed out and you can no longer configure one online via Project One...after only one year of availability. The fact is the vast majority of road bikes sold so far 2019 have been disc models because most consumers are indifferent about brake technology. So if nothing else, they will choose disc because it is now pervasive and the way forward.

The only reason why the trend toward disc isn’t speeding up is because we’re already past the big portion of the bell curve. There’s not that much market share left to grab, and the last few percentage points will serve the never-disc types for the foreseeable future.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Please go rim brake on something as beautiful as a Field. I have nothing against disc brakes at all but I think that a non disc Field is the absolute pinicle of steel frame design/aesthetics.

mriddle

by mriddle

Rim please.
If you want disk you can buy a trek/spec like everyone else...
Nothing wrong with that.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

brendanfoo, why not just ask for Field’s input based on your riding habits/style?

robertbb

by robertbb

mrfish wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:21 pm
I’m happy with my AC3 Shamals in the mountains
No such thing.

Your AC3 Bora's...
Your alloy or mille Shamals...

(PS: I agree with your sentiments though)

fxx

by fxx

Can you afford to buy both? I just ordered another Ti disc frameset.

Now I can have a choice in riding style and parts availability.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

Go rim brake for the Field. I don't think Shimano or Campagnolo will take away rim brake options for top end groupsets for a LONG LONG time. Who cares what mass producers are doing with thier framesets? Trek can take away rim brake options and I couldnt care at all, I wouldnt purchase any of bikes anyway.... I suspect if you have been waiting for so long for such a classy frame as a Field you don't need to work about trends, just get what makes you smile!

How much longer will you have to wait? I thought 7 months was a long time to wait time for my Baum (rim brake :D )
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

Js2

by Js2

I would go rim brakes for sure. Disc for MTB / Cross Bike

silvalis

by silvalis

robertbb wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:21 am
mrfish wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:21 pm
I’m happy with my AC3 Shamals in the mountains
No such thing.

Your AC3 Bora's...
Your alloy or mille Shamals...

(PS: I agree with your sentiments though)
Maybe he's got Shamals on the front, Bora AC3 on the back :D

Or a Bora AC3 on the front, Shamal on the back for that "My rear was flat right before the group ride so I threw my alloy rim on the back" look.
Chasse patate

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com