Wheels Mfg very tight fitting shimano crank spindle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I recently bought a BBRight to 24mm conversion BB from Wheels Mfg. I installed the BB with original wheels mfg tools. The BB sits flush with the frame and it's a screw-together style BB.

Although when I try to slide the spindle through the BB, it feels like an extremely tight fit. I even managed to get it stuck and I had to use a few gentle taps with a plastic mullet to remove it. While I guess I could use the mullet to gently tap the spindle through the BB fully, but now I'm worried that it will get stuck there permanently.

Does anybody had a tight fitting BB / Shimano combo? I've been working with shimano cranksets and several different BB brands (kogel, rotor, praxis), but I've never experienced such a tight fit.

Any tips suggestions are welcomed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Do this test. Remove the BB from the frame. Does the spindle fit through the BB OK with the BB outside the frame? If yes then the issue is in the frame. If no then the issue is either the spindle or the BB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JerryLook

by JerryLook

With my DA9000 crank going through a DA threaded bottom bracket it’s a pretty tight fit. It takes a few taps of a mallet to get it in or out. I’m not sure how tight is too tight.

Does your crank spin freely once it’s in the BB?
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

AZR3

by AZR3

You can use the mallet to tap in through or put your crank in the freezer for 20min to shrink the spindle a bit and slide it through. Some times the tolerance between the BB and spindle can make install a bit difficult.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Pd got there before me. This advise is correct.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Pd got there before me. This advise is correct.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Awesome tips. Thank you all. Instead of removing the BB, I gave it an other try. I cleaned everything properly and only used a very light layer of grease. Then lightly tapped it with a mallet. The spindle fully slid through this time. Next time I will throw it in the freezer for a bit, that sounds like the easiest thing to try first.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Good. If the spindle spins freely then you have no issues. It’s supposes to be somewhat tight by design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Throwing it in the freezer is really only applicable to aluminum spindles which, assuming yours is Shimano, you don’t have. You did the right thing, a little lube, a little love, try to start it perfectly square and some light taps to get it all the way through.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nycebo

by nycebo

I had a similar issue with the exact same BB from Wheels Manufacturing. It took a number of mallet blues before I got it through but the crank has worked perfectly ever since. Mind you, I haven't tried to take it out yet!

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Even easier and quicker than freezer is an upside down canned air sprayed at the shaft.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com